Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

Just got the demo for AS16. Did they say something about soild overcast ? not sure if this soild...  :fool:

as16.jpg

Hi,

"solid overcast" is a feature of ASCA, not AS16. Did you get ASCA too, cause this doesn't seem like ASCA to me ;)

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Unfortunately no.  According to the marketing blurb on the hifi website:

ASCA Integration for Real-Time Texture Dynamics AS16 works with any texture/graphics add-ons (including default graphics), but when combined with ASCA, real-time texture dynamics and automatic wx-influenced selections are enabled

No, it's already been mentioned before and is mentioned on the product page for AS16 and ASCA. If you want the dynamic texture changes it has to hook into ASCA. If you don't want the dynamic texture changes then use AS16 with REX textures or another texture sets prior to starting FSX, just like you do now with ASN and any other textures.

Thanks fellas for clearing it up  :good:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi,

"solid overcast" is a feature of ASCA, not AS16. Did you get ASCA too, cause this doesn't seem like ASCA to me ;)

So anyway to have a new product i have to buy 2 products. Because as far as AS16 i dont see much of a difference to justify the price...

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Just got the demo for AS16. Did they say something about soild overcast ? not sure if this soild... :fool:

as16.jpg

Is your cloud coverage say to maximum?

I haven't seen the cloud pass through "smoke"

feature. I spent all day cloud hunting and nothing

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Is your cloud coverage say to maximum?

Of course.And i cant get the passing cloud effect either. And yes its on in the options.

Roi Ben

A couple more comments:

- As mentioned previously. AS16 and ASCA may be on a network machine, but they have to be on the same machine.

- Please don't run ASN and AS16 interchangeably for the same target simulator. AsConnect interface is different between them and you'll run into trouble unless you remember to install each time the "correct" dll. (i.e for FSX, run ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe before using ASN and run ASConnect2016_FSX_Install.exe before ruinning AS16). This is not a problem if the applications target different simulator that is if you have both FSX and P3D installed and you want to use ASN for FSX and AS16 for P3D (or vice versa)

- ASCA is cross- compatible with both FSX and P3D (if both installed). When you run the respective AS16 version (for FSX or P3D) , it will automatically update the target simulator for ASCA. This way it will know where to install the content.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Sorry for my ignorance I haven't managed to find this information - as a general question does this work with PMDG T7 WXR and other addons similar to ASN did?

Edit - I have found it on the HiFi site, I must be blind, and it is compatible!

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Reading this thread, and I am still confused. I am using ASN and Soft clouds now. If I get this new product, do I have to uninstall soft clouds, to use it? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I bought for FSX, P3D and the Active Sky Cloud Art as upgrades to ASN, cost me over £80, which in my opinion is a complete joke.

So far only tested in FSX.  Pro's : Easy to setup, Performance seems ever so slightly better than Active Sky Next, definitely no worse. Didn't need to uninstall ASN, this made the upgrade process easier as AS16 automatically found my ASN key when installing.

Only tried the "Global" configuration so far, where AS16 uses ASCA to inject texures on the fly.

Cons : Clouds so far, look pretty unnatural to me, they look, too clean possibly? If that makes sense. I do use sweetfx if that has any bearing, although sweetfx looks great with Rex Clouds.

Another BIG con so far.  My FSX has crashed to desktop twice this morning, once when I was going into cloud and the cloud textures started to flow over the front of the Aircraft ( which did look pretty cool ) and once on runway a second after ASCA had finished injecting textures.  My FSX has NEVER ever crashed since it has been installed for months with ASN and REX soft Clouds, yet 2 crashes in the space of an hour this morning after installing AS16 and ASCA.

Shots in FSX, Haven't had time to install into P3D yet.

Regards !

FSX2_zpszzg5vsfq.jpg

FSX3_zpscrc4ulnx.jpg

FSX4_zpswvefg7js.jpg

FSX1_zpsvprodqmw.jpg

EDIT : For clarification, FSX was set to Max cloud coverage, 90N/M, AS16 settings were all default and I HAVE installed the additional 1GB+ HD Texture pack.

@Jim

If ASCA can be on a client , where are the textures for the server stored ?

Hopefully not on the client as sending textures over the netwerk will be cost performance...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Reading this thread, and I am still confused. I am using ASN and Soft clouds now. If I get this new product, do I have to uninstall soft clouds, to use it?

It's a Weather engine Bob, it's going to use whatever textures you have in your Sim just like ASN did,

But if you want your cloud textures updated dynamically you will also need the cloud art package

I bought for FSX, P3D and the Active Sky Cloud Art as upgrades to ASN, cost me over £80, which in my opinion is a complete joke.

So far only tested in FSX.  Pro's : Easy to setup, Performance seems ever so slightly better than Active Sky Next, definitely no worse. Didn't need to uninstall ASN, this made the upgrade process easier as AS16 automatically found my ASN key when installing.

Only tried the "Global" configuration so far, where AS16 uses ASCA to inject texures on the fly.

Cons : Clouds so far, look pretty unnatural to me, they look, too clean possibly? If that makes sense. I do use sweetfx if that has any bearing, although sweetfx looks great with Rex Clouds.

Another BIG con so far.  My FSX has crashed to desktop twice this morning, once when I was going into cloud and the cloud textures started to flow over the front of the Aircraft ( which did look pretty cool ) and once on runway a second after ASCA had finished injecting textures.  My FSX has NEVER ever crashed since it has been installed for months with ASN and REX soft Clouds, yet 2 crashes in the space of an hour this morning after installing AS16 and ASCA.

Shots in FSX, Haven't had time to install into P3D yet.

Regards !

FSX2_zpszzg5vsfq.jpg

FSX3_zpscrc4ulnx.jpg

FSX4_zpswvefg7js.jpg

FSX1_zpsvprodqmw.jpg

Indeed looks horrible.

Roi Ben

@Jim

If ASCA can be on a client , where are the textures for the server stored ?

Hopefully not on the client as sending textures over the netwerk will be cost performance...

Hi Gerard,

The textures are loaded into the main sim root folder when you select and install the first theme.  Make sure to navigate to your simulator root path in the ASCA settings screen and save.  Once back in the main UI you can select and install one of the dynamic weather settings.  I have been running this way since testing began and the texture installation is very quick.

Happy flying!

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

FSX4_zpswvefg7js.jpg

FSX1_zpsvprodqmw.jpg

That looks bloody awful. The sky colour on the last one is downright criminal. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Dynamic clouds?

Faggedaboutit!

What we're really talking about here is NOT having to reset our sliders each time we choose literally thousands(**) of scenarios involving many combinations of aircraft/meteorological/air/ground sceneries and frame hungry DLC.

Conservative example:

1 weather generating package(Lie...Lie...LIE!) & see A. Below

1 sky/cloud texture package ...See A. Below

2 payware LandClass/vector packages

3 photo-real sceneries

4 frame eating utilities/add-ons

5 payware aircraft

6 payware airports

7 Orbx sub continental scenery packages

8 possible weather scenarios(probably closer to hundreds of variations...but we'll say eight to stay conservative)

...and wayyyyy conservative 100 parameters in our FSx/P3D/X-Plane .cfg files

A. and Hugely under-estimated 12 setting parameters for each...

...I will stop there...but y'all know there others to add to the mix...

So, let's use computer lingo and substitute "*", for the multiplication or times sign so that y'all can Google the answer ...

what does ((1*10) * (1*10) * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6 * 7 * 8 * 100 * 12 = ?

How many scenarios is that?

(**)How bout 4.84 x10^9

Or conservatively closer, 4,838,400,000.

And we wonder why we are having difficulty finding the sweet spot if we change just ONE?

As I suggested not too long ago http://www.avsim.com/topic/490648-any-solutions-for-poor-performance-around-large-cities/?view=findpost&p=3442166

We need to DEMAND a Prepar3D RFP - "Adaptive Smoothing" in other words, Dynamic Performance Enhancement before ANYTHING ELSE…

An "MOON-MISSION" algorithm that looks at WHAT we are flying, who and what and how many are flying with us, what phase of flight, what we're flying IN, and INTO....in the air and on the ground, and dynamically adjusting our sliders incrementally ...to maintain a smooth, functional, satisfying..immersive simulation.

Then, once out of the difficult to display area, increases the sliders rightward to maintain the EyeCandy/performance criteria.

Just the blue sky ramblings of an old fart curmudgeon, aviation loving, simulator student.

Cheers,

Chas...dropping the topic, and the mic.

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2