Sign in to follow this  
Gilandred

AS 16 + ASCA First Impressions

Just finished a flight using AS 16 plus ASCA in P3D.  As a matter of reference, I used to have ASN and Rex 4 with Soft Clouds installed.  Installation was simple for both AS 16 and ASCA.  Make sure to set your theme to global dynamic in ASCA if you want to have automatically changing weather textures.

Fortunately I happened to fly from partly cloudy to full overcast conditions, with some rain in between.  The clouds themselves are quite nice, and I would say even nicer than Rex.  Maybe that's the result of using AS16 plus ASCA together, but regardless, I was happy with the result.  The cloud layering looked fantastic.  Frame rates were as good if not better than before.

The only negative is the cloud motion effect.  It seems to activate as you get near a cloud versus being in it as I would expect.  It also doesn't "wash over" the plane.  It's just a front and partial side effect.  I've disabled it for now.

• Upvote 1

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Thanks for your quick first impressions..

Any further observations appreciated..

Thanks for the kind words Gilandred, I am sure the dev's will be happy to read your post.  There were countless number of hours that went into the development and testing of both apps.  Both the FSX versions and Prepar3D versions had to be tailored for each sim.  The requirements for Prepar3D have changed since FSX days.  For yourself and all users be sure that you install a texture set first before using the dynamic weather functions.

Happy flying!

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for your quick first impressions..

Any further observations appreciated..

One other thing is that the clouds and atmosphere seemed appropriately darker for the conditions (overcast) that I was experiencing.  The weather transitions also seemed to go smoothly.  I haven't done a dusk flight yet (always my favorite time) so I can't comment on the sky colors yet. 

Thanks for the kind words Gilandred, I am sure the dev's will be happy to read your post.  There were countless number of hours that went into the development and testing of both apps.  Both the FSX versions and Prepar3D versions had to be tailored for each sim.  The requirements for Prepar3D have changed since FSX days.  For yourself and all users be sure that you install a texture set first before using the dynamic weather functions.

Happy flying!

Robert

Interesting.  The part about selecting a theme first before activating global dynamic wasn't clear to me, or I overlooked it.  Does the global dynamic only choose from the selected theme, or does it choose from any and all of them depending on the weather conditions?

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Thanks for you quick response Gilandred, -

Lighting is enhanced in P3D however I am more likely to be purchasing the FSX version (probably).

I do have a reservation however. I note you have made only two posts. Thank you for contributing to the forum, but I have to say for me this is kinda a red flag so please forgive my comment - but you can see why the community might take your initial first impressions with a little caution.

So setting it up now and have a question I didn't see mentioned as I skimmed through the manual quickly, it might have been there:

To get the full dynamic or Global automatic themes to update with AS16, does the ASCA program need to stay running?

Thanks!  Look forward to trying this.

Thanks for asking that question, Allen. Waiting the answer too...

Matt King

I do have a reservation however. I note you have made only two posts. Thank you for contributing to the forum, but I have to say for me this is kinda a red flag so please forgive my comment - but you can see why the community might take your initial first impressions with a little caution.

Gotta start somewhere:)

Gary

To get the full dynamic or Global automatic themes to update with AS16, does the ASCA program need to stay running?

Yes. When you start AS16 it will start ASCA, and shut it down when you exit AS16. ASCA does not need to be running if you are not using dynamic modes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes. When you start AS16 it will start ASCA, and shut it down when you exit AS16. ASCA does not need to be running if you are not using dynamic modes.

Vic

Vic do you know why I keep getting this message my cloud density is not at maximum - I am thinking it refers to P3D setting turned that up to maximum but still get a message every time I start P3D - any ideas on how to get rid of that message shut a lot of message stuff off in AS16 but still persists - thanks 

At first glance seems to be better than ASN but cant put my finger on it

Rich Sennett

Interesting.  The part about selecting a theme first before activating global dynamic wasn't clear to me, or I overlooked it.  Does the global dynamic only choose from the selected theme, or does it choose from any and all of them depending on the weather conditions?

ASCA chooses from all the textures that are available in its library and not a theme per se.  Themes are preset for users to get a feel for what a variation is capable of doing.  In dynamic mode AS16 and ASCA work together to give the user the best representation possible of what the sky conditions and weather may look like.  Of course the weather is based on reported METARS from providers around the globe so weather could be hit and miss at the same time.  The best possible scenario would be for a user like yourself to load a flightplan.  Based on that the weather will be depicted based on what AS16 (like ASN before) pulls together or "interpolates" to give you a better overall look and feel.

Vic do you know why I keep getting this message my cloud density is not at maximum - I am thinking it refers to P3D setting turned that up to maximum but still get a message every time I start P3D - any ideas on how to get rid of that message shut a lot of message stuff off in AS16 but still persists

Hi Rich, 

That is the "Cloud coverage density" which should be set to "Maximum" on the Prepar3D Settings-Weather page.

\Robert Hamlich/

Looking forward to hearing more on these new products from people. ASN is still, in my opinion, one of the best addons ever created for flight sim. I've been very happy with it for many years, so hoping the same for as2016!

Orman

Vic do you know why I keep getting this message my cloud density is not at maximum - I am thinking it refers to P3D setting turned that up to maximum but still get a message every time I start P3D - any ideas on how to get rid of that message shut a lot of message stuff off in AS16 but still persists - thanks 

At first glance seems to be better than ASN but cant put my finger on it

I had the same problem Rich and I had to set it to max in p3d and restart the sim and that message went away

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

AS

Hi Rich, 

That is the "Cloud coverage density" which should be set to "Maximum" on the Prepar3D Settings-Weather page.

Thanks maybe it didnt take before getting out of sim so you are saying it has to be at max all the time not to get this message that seems odd to me ? thank you

Rich Sennett

Just did a couple quick flights myself and my initial reaction is.....wow!  Descending into a solid overcast in the NGX with the cloud motion effect was really neat.  I then found an airport with Thunderstorm activity and slewed a GA plane up to 30k to view the nice CB clouds....which went went way above me!!  Haven't seen that...ever!  Look forward to doing a full NGX flight with dynamic changes.  FPS were as good if not better than before! 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11