Sign in to follow this  
Gilandred

AS 16 + ASCA First Impressions

My gosh...

Very expensive. Even with the discount for owning ASN. Prohibitively expensive to run both FSX and P3D.

The screenshots I've seen so far look pretty darn good and I'm very sure that the developers put a lot of effort into it, but the pricing ensures that regretfully, I'm not able to be a customer.

• Upvote 3

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Even with the "Cloud Density" in P3D not set to maximum, and with Max distance set to not more than 80NM I get more than good results.

I'm on an old i5 2500, and I run another sim at the same time, all in the same PC, so, I have to be parsimonious regarding graphic settings, but still I do get better performnace than I did with ASN, and for sure much better effects - graphical and "physical"...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hello,

can be used

AS 16 + ASCA in a networked configuration where FSX/P3D runs on a different computer ?

Pls. adv.

Thanks

Ralf

Yes, it can and works flawlessly.

I had that setup, with AS16 and ASCA running on a laptop, and my i5 desktop running P3Dv3 and PSX + PSXAloft which injects AS16 higher level winds and temps into PSX ( only above FL200 )... Works great!

The Manual thoroughly explains how to set it up.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So can someone who bought it tell me if the clouds (especially overcast) goes all the way into the distance at high altitude? Does it cover all your surroundings? This is one thing i couldn't get since newer versions of P3D.

Thank you

Roi Ben

Ok, so I'm not seeing any "review" comments.  Mostly just minor likes/dislikes (price mostly).  Overall, how is it comparing to the ASN REX combo?  I expected more people to be posting about it.  I am looking forward to the new features and overall enhancements.  I would like the cloud effect to be good, but some are making it sound buggy.  And, another issue I have had with ASN is the winds aloft.  My FP will almost always undershoot the average speed by 40-50%.  How about turbulence and the look of clouds?  Transitions?  Or that ridiculous popping or flickering around mountains>?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Does anyone know if AS16+ASCA in dynamic mode can be run over the network? I'm running ASN on a second computer as this is by far the best way to get rid of stutters in P3D. Don't want to move the weather engine back on the primary sim PC...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Does anyone know if AS16+ASCA in dynamic mode can be run over the network? I'm running ASN on a second computer as this is by far the best way to get rid of stutters in P3D. Don't want to move the weather engine back on the primary sim PC...

The reply on HiFi forums is yes, but AS16 and ASCA must be on the same PC, so both on second computer.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

The reply on HiFi forums is yes, but AS16 and ASCA must be on the same PC, so both on second computer.

Thanks Chris!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Overall, how is it comparing to the ASN REX combo?

Very limited testing so far but I'm coming from ASN and Rex Soft Clouds. Using AS16 and ASCA for the first time I did see a difference in the way the clouds looked. Fluffy white clouds (IMHO) looked a bit cartoony with ASCA compared to Rex Soft Clouds. That said, full overcast was finally full overcast which I struggled to get with Rex - I think this was because the correct texture set was being loaded dynamically so you end up with a better depiction. Loading up the exact weather for where I am now produced ok results - I'm not sure we'll ever get the looking out of the window and seeing the same in sim effect. The cumulonimbus clouds around here right now were depicted but again, against the blue sky did look a bit cartoony compared to the REX Soft Clouds. They did tower up massively though which I haven't seen before.

If Rex Skyforce can dynamically load in with AS16 I have a feeling that could be an ideal combo. These are just my initial thoughts and only in a couple of locations. Overcast is good, fluffy clouds not so much in my opinion (compared to Rex). Love the dynamic loading though.

James 

For those wondering there is a 7 day trial period before buying to answer those questions. I plan on taking advantage of that after work.

You cannot try ASCA but you can at least test drive the wx generator.

Like Uninstaller stated I will also be using mine with the Aerowinx 747 which arrives Monday so I'm looking at the performance above all.

• Upvote 1

Sean Green

Very limited testing so far but I'm coming from ASN and Rex Soft Clouds. Using AS16 and ASCA for the first time I did see a difference in the way the clouds looked. Fluffy white clouds (IMHO) looked a bit cartoony with ASCA compared to Rex Soft Clouds. That said, full overcast was finally full overcast which I struggled to get with Rex - I think this was because the correct texture set was being loaded dynamically so you end up with a better depiction. Loading up the exact weather for where I am now produced ok results - I'm not sure we'll ever get the looking out of the window and seeing the same in sim effect. The cumulonimbus clouds around here right now were depicted but again, against the blue sky did look a bit cartoony compared to the REX Soft Clouds. They did tower up massively though which I haven't seen before.

If Rex Skyforce can dynamically load in with AS16 I have a feeling that could be an ideal combo. These are just my initial thoughts and only in a couple of locations. Overcast is good, fluffy clouds not so much in my opinion (compared to Rex). Love the dynamic loading though.

James 

Bummer.  I guess I'll wait to see more reviews, pics and vids.  I was looking forward to it but it sounds too mixed for me.  thx

- Chris

After reading about and seeing the preview screen shots I am worried about the look of the textures in ACSA as well.

I'm not an REX fan, but the videos shown of Sky Force textures look really good compared to what I have seen from the ASCA previews.

I have no doubt that AS16 will be better than what REX produces for the actual weather engine, but it seems that if you could marry Sky Force to AS16 for dynamic texture loading it would be the best looking scenario or just use AS16 and Sky Force textures in the non-dynamic mode like we've been doing with ASN.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Chris is absolutely right Carlo. Make sure to navigate to your simulator root path in the ASCA settings screen and save.  Once back in the main UI select and install a texture set before you use one of the dynamic weather settings.

Happy flying!

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Some downloaded both products. Clouds are dynamic so alive probably only seen a limited subset.mseeked a bit more like soft clouds than the previous Rex non soft set I was using. I set 2048 low level,clouds and 4096 upper level. Clouds look less popcorn like, although I'll need to do more testing as the cloud tops were well above the FL140 I was at.

Flew from PAJN to PAGY. What I did notice was the water colour was v interesting. Nice green, blues and silver in the Fjords, much nicer than Rex. The sun is the same tiny blob though. Bout time someone did a realistic sun for P3D...!

The atmospheric scattering also looks different to Rex, although I am using the PTA shader pack. Again diffraction and mist looks different. Can't quite decide on that.

Hope this helps people. Certainly no regrets for changing.

Ray