Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

Night Flying

Guest bobsk8

I love flying at night but can never get the light in my computer room adjusted properly so that I can see the night scenery and yet have enough light to see the keyboard for keyboard entries. I read an article in this months Computer Pilot Magazine on a Keyboard with backlighting. Stopped at Circuit City on the way home and picked one up. I am now flying at night and my computer room is pitch black except for the light from the monitor and I can see everything... :) What a difference.....

Ive never tried night flying wiht all the lights off. Does it make a big diffrence in the way you see the scenery and airports etc. Doesnt it hurt the eyes?Just asking because I would like to start flying more at night but cant really see much(I guees cause I have the lights on)Did you purchase the keyboard that s black, With with the numpad seperated from the keyboard?Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest bobsk8

I find it pretty easy on the eyes. I always had trouble with a lit room trying to make out runways and taxiways due to the loss of black level from the ambient room light. I tried all sorts of lights, but they either got in the way, were too bright or too dim or something. This thing is perfect cause the keys as well as the bed they sit in are lit up with this blue light which doesn't affect the monitor at all. I got the more expensive one without the little keypad ( $10 more) , because I knew I would never use the separate keypad for anything and it would probably just get in my way, and I figured the more expensive one is probably a bit better ( I know, I know, not always the case ) This keyboard is made by Saitek.This reminds me more of flying a real aircraft, since at night , it is also difficult to make out where you are, and the darker in the cockpit, the better.

I that the Eclipse keyboard in blue?JimCYWG

Was it in this months CP magazine, I have this issue and going to check it out now.I got my night rating about 4 months ago IRL and noticed that also that its very hard to see the airport, Even when on downwind the runway lights are very hard to see until your actually lined up on final. In fact I find that the taxi way lights are more visible than the runway lights, Except when lined up again.(I know you could request to get the lights turned up, but still) Unless its an arcal.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest bobsk8

>Was it in this months CP magazine, I have this issue and>going to check it out now.>>I got my night rating about 4 months ago IRL and noticed that>also that its very hard to see the airport, Even when on>downwind the runway lights are very hard to see until your>actually lined up on final. In fact I find that the taxi way>lights are more visible than the runway lights, Except when>lined up again.(I know you could request to get the lights>turned up, but still) Unless its an arcal.Yes, it is in the current issue. I find that if you only fly occasionly in real life, it is probably better to avoid it all together. It is easy to lose your orientation if the weather isn't ideal.

True about the weather, You can be in cloud and not even know it before its to late. Im pretty lucky though because I get to log about 5-10 hours per month and try to split it up with night and day.

I picked up a Saitek keyboard that has a blue LED glow behind the keys and lights up the keys themselves, it has a little button to allow me to turn the light off, bright, or dim. It is awesome!

Bob:Is the adjustable wrist rest removable? My slideout keyboard shelf already has one and I doubt that the keyboard would fit in it with that item.Thanks:RTH

Guest f1yerian

Because I use a projector (an old one that isn't very bright) I have to fly in a darkened room. For 18 months I have been using a SHARKOON small keyboard, backlit in blue. Unfortunately last w/end the left hand side - from Y onwards has stopped working. I really miss itRegardsIan

Guest f1yerian

I mean the right hand side (thank god I'm not flying)BA 448 turn left to 120UM which way is that?Ian

Guest bobsk8

>Bob:>>Is the adjustable wrist rest removable? My slideout keyboard>shelf already has one and I doubt that the keyboard would fit>in it with that item.>>Thanks:>RTHYes, in fact I don't care for them, so I jst didn't put it on the keyboard.

Guest SaVas

Ive had the Saitek gaming keyboard with the blue backglow. Just a small warning, dont wear watches or jewelry when using it as the silver finish wears off around the space bar rather quickly, so if you are a purist that likes everything looking new, the paint will wear.