Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

Night Flying

I've got that Saitek keyboard myself, and combined with the X52 stick and throttle, I can fly in the dark. It really enhances flying at night. Just make sure you get the newer Eclipse keyboard where the key letters actually ligth up. There was an older version where only the area around each key lit up, making it still hard to see the keys. I know I can type without looking when I am doing word processing, but playing a game is different where you just have to occasionally hit a key.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Gordius

Hi Bob. A long time ago I too got rather fed up not being able to see much when flying at night. My PC lives in my front room where I have a desktop lamp that directs the light downward toward the surface of the desk but not at my monitor giving plenty of light to see all that I am doing including reading charts, flightplans, etc. I also have a dimmer switch so I can dim the main lights which gives me enough light to be able to run over for coffee or a comfort break without falling over anything (I know you appreciate how quickly that needs to be done when on VATSIM where I believe you fly). So, an ordinary kb for me. Before the desk top lamp and dimmer switch I had been known to use a torch and nothing else :-) Just to finish off I don't think I saw anyone said anything about curtains that block out the light for use when flying in a timezone other than my/your own.Andrew BrownRoaring Thirtieshttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

Guest kiwipilot

Hi there,I highly reccommend the payware addon 'Ultimate Night Environment Pro' to improve (revolutionize!) your night flying. I've just installed it and the difference is incredible. No need to dim your office lighting either.Cheers,Red.Private Pilot StudentWgtn NZ

My saitek is black and doesn't wear at all. Its fantastic

That's pretty normal, the taxiway lights are pretty much omni directional where as I believe the runway lights are focused directionally. I can't verify it because I've never looked all that hard at the runway lights as no one wants you lingering near the runway area.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Bob,Thanks for giving us info on the eclipse kybd. I just had to have one so I went over to Best Buy this morning and picked one up. They are on sale this week for $39, which is $20 off retail. This is the Saitek PZ30AU. No rebates were reqauired. The feel of the KYBD is much better IMO than my Dell.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

After reading this thread I just bought myself a Saitek Eclipse too! That thing is so cool.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Armstrang

I am about to put together a new system, and retire the Inspiron 8200 to the reserve fleet. The Saitek keyboards have my attention, but I like the extra control pad that comes with the gaming version. I could use that to augment programmed joystick buttons, and just about cover all the most used-FS9 functions. I would then almost never have to touch the keyboard, in the light or in the dark.Does anyone have any comments about the Saitek Gaming Keyboard?

Guest rmce

Optiimus?Now that looks astounding!Drool......However, until thsi happens (hopefully), the Saitek looks like a definite must have!Good Post!!RonMac

Whoa! That Optimus concept seems really neat.Hopefully it will be durable enough for everyday use.I also wonder about it's power requirements, with each key being a display and all--even if it's LED that's still some extra power needed.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi,Got the Saitek Eclipse keyboard about 6 months ago, thought it looked cool and would be fun for night flights... Didn't end up trying it (not much time for flying these days!) but when my current keyboard gave up last month (I go through about 4 a year) there was the Eclipse sitting there so I plugged it in my regular development station. Been using it ever since (still haven't done a night flight but plenty of late-night programming sessions) but it is a great keyboard with great feel, and seems much more durable than the usual $20 special. Highly recommended. Hope it lasts a few more months!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Armstrang

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the Eclipse, but I'm still shopping...

Guest Armstrang

Aww. What the heck. I just leaned far enough to order an Eclipse from Egg. Thanks for the input.

I have the eclipse KB with the red LED backlight. Works great at night.Highly recommended for night flyers.PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS