Sign in to follow this  
amit24075844

PMDG 737 not stable on touchdown

The crab doesn't really use rudder until alignment at touchdown. You are turning into the wind and letting the plane fly the way it naturally wants to in order to stay aligned. 

ok, sorry guys i am confused now, how do you just "turn the plane in to the wind"? what i am talking about here is a manual landing (no autopilot) with crosswind, i know i have to keep that runway between my legs but the wind pushes we off alignment so i need to put the nose to wind to counteract but if you don't use the rudder what do you use?  did you imply the rudder trim knob as opposed to the pedals? or did you just imply to use the yoke but that would lower my wing making it a slipped approach and that's a no no on a 737 apparently.....sorry i am a biologist trying to have some more fun :)

ok, sorry guys i am confused now, how do you just "turn the plane in to the wind"?

You're overthinking this.

You turn the plane like you turn the plane to change to any heading. Except, in this case, you're turning the plane to accommodate wind drift. You simply select a heading that faces into the wind enough that the wind isn't blowing you off of the centerline. The plane is doing this the whole time you're on LNAV. Watch it. Your track will not match your heading unless it's a direct head or tailwind. No rudder is used to do this.

what i am talking about here is a manual landing (no autopilot) with crosswind, i know i have to keep that runway between my legs but the wind pushes we off alignment so i need to put the nose to wind to counteract but if you don't use the rudder what do you use?

You use your heading. See above.

did you imply the rudder trim knob as opposed to the pedals?

No. Do not use the rudder.

or did you just imply to use the yoke but that would lower my wing making it a slipped approach and that's a no no on a 737 apparently

You use the yoke to turn to the heading, but then you level the wings once you're on the new heading (and do not use rudder). You only use the rudder to kick the tail into alignment at the last moment before touchdown. If you google crabbed approach versus slipped approach, you're bound to find all kinds of video and pictures describing it.

Kyle Rodgers

rudder for maintaining a crabbed (not slipped) approach and again rudder for final alignment....?

No.

For a crabbed approach, you simply turn the aircraft into the wind as if you were turning the aircraft to any heading. Then you use the rudder right at the end to align yourself just above the runway.

De-crab during Flare

The objective is to maintain wings level during approach, flare and touchdown.

During the approach a crab angle is established with wings level in order to maintain the desired track. During the flare downwind rudder is applied to eliminate the crab and align the aircraft with the centre-line. At the same time apply upwind aileron in order to maintain wings level. These cross controls are maintained throughout the landing phase and the aileron during the landing roll.

Vernon Howells

It might sound daft...but are you sure you haven't just got the auto rudder left on in the flight sim settings....both p3d and fsx have it. I have found by mistake that leaving this on can make it very hard to land?

Ok, i think i got it now. Thank you all. 

No i don't have autorudder set to ON. I actually never really had too much of a problem landing with crosswind, I only wanted to know how are you supposed to do it. 

Ok, i think i got it now. Thank you all. 

No i don't have autorudder set to ON. I actually never really had too much of a problem landing with crosswind, I only wanted to know how are you supposed to do it. 

Ok cool...I couldn't get your video to work btw..

I would like to know more about this as well.