Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Thoughts on Xplane on Windows 10 vs 7?

With the deadline to upgrade comming I'm thinking of upgrading so I can add more memory (I'm limited by 16gb by home premium) What'd everyone's thoughts on 10? I plan on shutting off all the bloat ware and installing classic shell. Also did anyone get a performance boost from moving from 7 to 10

Thanks David

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Happy with Windows 10. For me it works perfectly. Regarding performance I can't say I've noticed that much of a difference either way. I absolutely don't regret going to Windows 10. 

• Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

With the deadline to upgrade comming I'm thinking of upgrading so I can add more memory (I'm limited by 16gb by home premium) What'd everyone's thoughts on 10? I plan on shutting off all the bloat ware and installing classic shell. Also did anyone get a performance boost from moving from 7 to 10

Thanks David

I had windows 10 Beta and wasn't to impressed. I don't like the idea of the forced updates and spying/monitoring. I was thinking about maybe installing it on a second hard drive. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

After installing it shortly after the release last year, it did great until the "fall update" which hit my flightsim computer and messed up everything on both drives.  They removed the "update" quickly, but not quickly enough.

A couple of months ago, the wife wanted to upgrade and I did it for her and it went very smoothly with all drivers installed and worked perfectly.  I played with it for a while and finally took the plunge and "updated" all my computers.  I have had no problems with this installation and think they have fixed most of the problems.

Let's face it.  They are going to remove support for all previous versions within a couple of years or so.  This leads me to believe that they, like Apple, are going to continue to "give" the OS away (if you downloaded the "update" during the time offered) and already monitored more than you would have like anyway.  You can shut down some of the monitoring, but does it really shut it down?

You don't need classic shell as it operates almost identical to Windows 7.

My input?  Do it.

John

Edit:  I just looked at Classic Shell and it does have a Windows 10 version and looks really good.  It's free, why not if you are not happy with the new format?

John Wingold

Everyone's setup and legacy programs/drivers are different, so with that disclaimer out of the way... I'd say do it!

I have always tried to avoid major OS versions unless it was a complete clean wipe/install, or just buying it installed on a new machine. This was the first time in a long time that I've installed over an existing OS (Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro), and I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went. No major issues. I do keep all my software up-to-date with current versions and drivers, so that may be one reason. Look and feel is so close to Win 7 (unless you go fullscreen with that stupid Tile UI) that it took very little time to adjust.

With regard to X-Plane, I didn't notice any performance improvements with the move to WIn 10. So don't bank on that, outside of the ability to add more RAM for things like HD and UHD terrain mesh. It's still mainly down to having a strong enough CPU/GPU to run at the settings you want.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I normally hate Windows, but use it for X-Plane & DCS (only runs on Windows).

Previously had Win 7 and resisted 8. Decided to go for the free upgrade to Windows 10 and apart from a few teething issues (Windows 10 kept wanting to update and then failed and rolled back to previous vers of Win 10) I am actually pleasantly surprised at how well it's performing.

My sims seem a tad faster and more fluid in Windows 10.

I had windows 10 Beta and wasn't to impressed. I don't like the idea of the forced updates and spying/monitoring. I was thinking about maybe installing it on a second hard drive. 

You can turn all the spyware stuff off with the 'OOSU10' tool, google it as I cannot post links on this forum.

Forced updates? Google this "howtogeek how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-update"

Went from 8 to 10 without problems nor improvements. With my GTX770 I get the best performance on Linux (Ubuntu).

You can turn all the spyware stuff off with the 'OOSU10' tool, google it as I cannot post links on this forum.

Forced updates? Google this "howtogeek how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-update"

Thanks for the H/up on that tool. Just downloaded and taken control of my W10 set-up.

Thanks for the info !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar