Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

AS16 + ASCA + REX Softclouds?

Interesting discussion here. As for me i was happy with ASN so am i with AS16. Unfortunately i do still see the popcorn

screenshot.38.jpg

Shot was taken over Oregon.

I fired up OPUS (which i dont like for it major performance hit) and the cloud display was much better than AS16.

Conclusion for me is i will stick to AS16 as i like the features and it is a ver keep it short and simple app.

Last words, sim means simulation and all these wx engines simulates something that should be real weather. But as it still decodes METAR it will only be an local weather. If one woul like to see the real deal build a wx engine that simulates whole wx systems like highs lows and frontal systems.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

So, I have REX Essential+ which I thought to be textures and weather engine? Is this correct? I would love to try AS16, but my question is--

Do I need to uninstall REX Essential+ to have the benefit of AS16 weather engine?

Also, would It be better if I just used REX Soft Clouds with AS16? Does REX Soft Cloud have improved textures over REX Essential+?

Thanks for the help!

Do I need to uninstall REX Essential+ to have the benefit of AS16 weather engine?

Also, would It be better if I just used REX Soft Clouds with AS16? Does REX Soft Cloud have improved textures over REX Essential+?

Point one. No you don't need to remove anything, and you can have as many weather engines on your PC as there are weather engines to install. You can only use one at a time of course, and a dormant one will have no affect on the running one.

Point two. Use which ever clouds you prefer. I like both REX3 and 4 clouds (and FEX too) and they will all work with AS2016 and are all equal quality IMO. My 

preference is for clouds with a touch of hardness and definition, rather than those that are very soft and fuzzy, but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

Point two. Use which ever clouds you prefer. I like both REX3 and 4 clouds (and FEX too) and they will all work with AS2016 and are all equal quality IMO. My 
preference is for clouds with a touch of hardness and definition, rather than those that are very soft and fuzzy, but that's just me.

Now if I currently have REX, but would like ASCA would I need to uninstall REX at that point?

Now if I currently have REX, but would like ASCA would I need to uninstall REX at that point?

No.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I like both REX3 and 4 clouds . My 

I have both REX 3 and 4 and SC also and your comment is spot on! Running in 4K though brings out all the flaws in these textures as well as there definition. Ain't experimenting grand though?

Hi guys, many of you are talking about improvement in visibility, so is this "evidence" related only to P3D or has been noted also in FSX/FSXSE?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

As far as the pricing, with the changes to P3D by LM, the products are going in different direction. It used to be that you created a new installer and you were good to go. With the big visibility changes LM made, this *IS* a different product and no way can the dual license exist.
Well, at least have the same price for each platform.  Sure I can live with having to pick one platform instead of a dual license, but an upgrade price of 39.99 for P3D versus 29.99 for FSX?  :Shame On You:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

So I guess they should raise the FSX price to $39.99.  I'll let them know of your suggestion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The price differential actually makes a lot of sense to me. FSX is a static platform. It requires far less work on the part of a 3rd party app developer.

On the other hand, LM is constantly tinkering with P3d, which triggers a reaction from 3rd party developers.

• Upvote 3

Sometimes I think I may be the only one in this hobby that actually cares about how the weather affects the airplane, not just how it looks.

If there is any others out there like me, as16 is a Huge improvement, crosswind landings are more challenging, gusty conditions especially challenging now.

I also like ASCA, on dynamic theme I get nice solid overcast for some real ifr, never was able to really get that with ASN-rex4

• Upvote 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

If there is any others out there like me, as16 is a Huge improvement, crosswind landings are more challenging, gusty conditions especially challenging now.

Totally agree and definitely care too.  For the first time, you actually do have to think about the weather along your route of flight.  Not even ASN required that before.  You could walk away from your computer and come back for descent.  Not any more.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Sometimes I think I may be the only one in this hobby that actually cares about how the weather affects the airplane, not just how it looks.

I also like ASCA, on dynamic theme I get nice solid overcast for some real ifr, never was able to really get that with ASN-rex4

If you have flown in real life, you will love AS 16. If you haven't, you might wonder why so many are raving about it. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

So I guess they should raise the FSX price to $39.99.  I'll let them know of your suggestion.
Yes, please do.  While I decide whether I should spend more money on this hobby or not.  So far thousands have been spent on HW/Add-ons The only constant seems to be more money, and of course with every update, more time tweaking dealing with issues due to the update.  Don't get me wrong, the developer should be compensated fairly for what they offer and the price you are willing to pay is the perceived value of what you pay for.   Ever since I made the move to P3D, I have seen the same song and dance: more money because it's a constantly evolved platform.  Then I will come back in 5 years when I have more time and hopefully by then there is a good performing sim platform that I can then spend money on and have something good in return.  The fact that it's more expensive in P3D also means that there are less people buying stuffs for it.  Not all simmers can afford to be on the latest hw and have unlimited fund.  You charge what the market is willing to pay, and right now for my corner I found this latest pricing strategy a confirmation that the trend is that P3D is more and more for the people who have money to spend.  At some point I will have to stop and evaluate.  I guess that time is now for me. Enjoy AS2016 everyone.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Yes, please do.  While I decide whether I should spend more money on this hobby or not.  So far thousands have been spent on HW/Add-ons The only constant seems to be more money, and of course with every update, more time tweaking dealing with issues due to the update.  Don't get me wrong, the developer should be compensated fairly for what they offer and the price you are willing to pay is the perceived value of what you pay for.   Ever since I made the move to P3D, I have seen the same song and dance: more money because it's a constantly evolved platform.  Then I will come back in 5 years when I have more time and hopefully by then there is a good performing sim platform that I can then spend money on and have something good in return.  The fact that it's more expensive in P3D also means that there are less people buying stuffs for it.  Not all simmers can afford to be on the latest hw and have unlimited fund.  You charge what the market is willing to pay, and right now for my corner I found this latest pricing strategy a confirmation that the trend is that P3D is more and more for the people who have money to spend.  At some point I will have to stop and evaluate.  I guess that time is now for me. Enjoy AS2016 everyone.

I spend much less money on P3D now than I did on FS9 and FSX when I was flying those sims. I think P3D is a bargain. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310