Sign in to follow this  
Jason407

Should I get the PMDG 777?

Hi all. I'm new to posting here. I do not yet have any PMDG products but I am in love with what I've seen of their 777-300ER.

The reason I ask this seemingly stupid question is because I currently have the Captain Sim 777 and my PC seems to hate it.

I can run and fly without issue, the VRS Super Hornet and Tacpac, same can be said for the IRIS F-22, A2A C-172 / 182 and P-51. The Milvis F-15E also runs well, but the CS 777 is horrible, it freezes all the time and takes forever to be able to even enter info into the FMC.

So, with that being said and in the hopes that some here have had or do have both 777's, can I assume that if I can't run the CS 777 I may be wasting my money on the PMDG version? Last thing I want to do is drop over $100 on something I can't use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rgds

Jason

Jason Carstens

So, with that being said and in the hopes that some here have had or do have both 777's, can I assume that if I can't run the CS 777 I may be wasting my money on the PMDG version? Last thing I want to do is drop over $100 on something I can't use.

Hi, Jason,

I have the CS 777 but haven't flown it for a long time.  I don't recall that it was significantly worse than the PMDG 777 as far as using up resources or running very slowly.  I have a low-to-middle-range system.  

Although I think the PMDG 777 is far, far superior to the CS version, you might want to figure out if there is an installation problem with the CS T7 or some issue with your system when it comes to complex addons.    You didn't give system specs -- that might be helpful. 

I would hate to tell you to buy the PMDG 777 and then you find that it runs poorly like your CS version.   I think the PMDG version is a great aircraft, but I'm not sure how much performance improvement you will get.  You will get much better support if you have issues though.

It is $89.99 for the base pack 200LR & F on their site.  Only if you buy the 300ER addon will it put you over $100.

Also, PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks Mike.

My specs are as follows.

Processor: Intel ® Core i3 CPU 550@3.20GHz

Installed Memory: 4.00GM (3.87GB usable)

System type: 64 - bit Operating System

Jason Carstens

Unfortunately, your specs are probably a bit on the short side, unless you want to reduce your graphics to minimum and not run even a web browser while you have your flight sim running.

I would stick with the Captain Sim (it has a much smaller memory footprint) and try tuning up your system to run a little better while running the sim.  See the FSX / P3D Config Guide for some help with that.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks very much for your replies, I appreciate your time and input.

Kind regards

Jason

Jason Carstens

I have a similar level system to you with a modest AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz processor. The PMDG 777 runs perfectly well. Certainly better than the CS777, and it's a much better sim too.

Ideally you need another 4GB of RAM so that FSX has access to a full 4GB. The PMDG 777 needs a lot of memory, but CS sims are memory hungry too so you may not have problems. With limited memory you risk OOM crashes ruining your flights so use autosave so you can recover and continue.

You will need to adjust FSX graphics, scenery and weather settings to get it running smoothly. Frame rates won't be spectacular but will be usable.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I have both and the CS is poorly coded is my guess as it runs very stuttery.

The newest optimized PMDG 7777 runs silky smooth.

spacer.png

I previously purchased the Captain Sim 777 and had all sorts of problems with the sim. They would upgrade and create another set of problems, and sometimes not fix the original ones. My brother is still trying to make the CS 777 work, but is very frustrated. I uninstalled the CS 777 and purchased the best sim product that I have ever owned in the PMDG products. I currently own both the 777-200LR and the 737NGX. I have many thousands of hours between the two aircraft and have absolutely no complaints. Best Buy, not the cheapest, but the money I spent on the CS 777 was wasted.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I haven't tested the CS 777, but from my point of view you should get the PMDG 777.

There are no problems by using it and it's probably the best $90 i ever spend.

The aircraft runs smooth when you have setup the graphics in FSX for it and you're all settled 

Thanks Mike.

My specs are as follows.

Processor: Intel ® Core i3 CPU 550@3.20GHz

Installed Memory: 4.00GM (3.87GB usable)

System type: 64 - bit Operating System

I would go for some more RAM and you should be on the safe side!

RAM is pretty cheap these days.... I remember paying ~400€ (Deutsche Mark back then) for 4 Megabyte RAM :-D

Thank you all again, I am blown away by the kind replies and helpfulness in this forum. looks like I'll be assaulting the credit card again soon.

Jason Carstens

on my pc the pmdg 777 runs better than the ngx

i have a i7 6850k and a gtx 980TI

yes buy it it is worth the money.