Sign in to follow this  
joelpacheco

Two flights, two approaches - success!

Today I completed two flights in my B200 using P2A from San Diego to John Wayne. KSAN OCN SLI KSNA

And I have to say I am very impressed with P2A!

Flight #1: At initial contact with approach I said "<callsign> at 6000" and approach said to expect vector for ILS 20R, I let it do its thing and it eventually vectored me around the mountains to the ILS without issues. To be honest I thought it would crash me into the mountain, but it kept me away and at safe altitude.

Flight #2: At initial contact with approach I said "<callsign> request visual approach". Approach cleared me for visual and told me to call back at 10 miles. I continued to SLI and at SLI asked for vector for visual and to descend to xx. It said XX feet was below the safe altitude and cleared me to descend to YY feet instead. It vectored me to align with the runway 20R without crashing me into the mountains.

What I learned today? Do not be afraid to ask ATC what you want.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

Today I completed two flights in my B200 using P2A from San Diego to John Wayne. KSAN OCN SLI KSNA

And I have to say I am very impressed with P2A!

What I learned today? Do not be afraid to ask ATC what you want.

Very cool...flew my last day of Beta Trial Bresden to Berlin...in my Turbine Duke....sweet except ...again got approach clearance from TWR... But again the tower forgot me ...never got cleared to land...glad you did.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I think if at initiall contact with tower P2A doesn't correctly understand your readback it will not talk to you again. Check exactly what tower P2A understood you said. I had that problem in my first flights with P2A.

To help with this in settings I added a sound to go off when P2A understands what I said, if there is no sound I repeat my request/readback. Of course sometimes there is sound but understood something different. This happens to me often after clearing the active runways if I do not say the phrase in the order it expects it. If I say "<callsign clear of active" it hardly ever understands but if I say "clear of active <callsign>" it understands better.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

I think if at initiall contact with tower P2A doesn't correctly understand your readback it will not talk to you again. Check exactly what tower P2A understood you said. I had that problem in my first flights with P2A.

To help with this in settings I added a sound to go off when P2A understands what I said, if there is no sound I repeat my request/readback. Of course sometimes there is sound but understood something different. This happens to me often after clearing the active runways if I do not say the phrase in the order it expects it. If I say "<callsign clear of active" it hardly ever understands but if I say "clear of active <callsign>" it understands better.

Good tip Joel!

Enclosed https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lmz8sg2k84vifo4/AACSBOPQ3WfA2yhjx-1fCpA_a?dl=0 is the entire ATC transcript of my Dresden-Berlin flight along with the saved P2A flightplan.

BTW, you can copy your ATC communications by;

1. simply putting your cursor in the dialog box

2.selecting control +a(Keyboard shortcut for "select All"), then control+ C(Keyboard shortcut for "Copy");

3. Then going a text editor...Notepad/Wordpad/Word/etc...my  favorite is Notepad++ and;

4. Pasting the entire ATC conversation there with CTRL+V (Keyboard shortcut for "Paste"), thus saving the P2A ATC conversation for posterity and review.

Hopefully it will lend some insight to those truly trying to  assist in the Beta of Pilot2ATC.

For those of you Who have been orphaned by VoxATC, and while P2A with its moving Map and flight planning, is so much more, it appears that Pilot2ATC is the only viable "Voice Recognition" ATC game in town with a future. Having said that, Dave (or we, if it turns out to be public domain freeware) could try to vary the number of ATC voices by doing what VoxATC did by including an auxiliary voice set from VoxPop...VoxATC adds 8 more voices thru the VoxPop DLL (PDF included in the above shared folder). 

You owe it to yourselves and Dave for all of his hard work to participate in the beta of this extremely promising voice activated ATC, Flight planning EFB product.

Hoping to reinstall P2A since my trial period runs out soon, if not today.

Cheers,

Chas

• Upvote 1

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hoping to reinstall P2A since my trial period runs out soon, if not today.

Cheers,

Chas

You don't need to reinstall once your trial runs out. My trial ran out today so I went and bought it. I recieved an email a few minutes after the purchase which contained the license key. Once your trial ends P2A will ask you for a valid license key and you just enter it there.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Once your trial ends P2A will ask you for a valid license key and you just enter it there.

Yes...I know... I am not ready to commit yet 60 bucks is a lot of money... fo one whose only income is Social Security.

Chas

Chas, it seems one of your requests to tower caused P2A to switch to VFR mode. It seems tower had a hard time understanding what you were asking.

Joel Pacheco

Chas, it seems one of your requests to tower caused P2A to switch to VFR mode. It seems tower had a hard time understanding what you were asking.

Oooookayyyy...which request...and why?

Thanks,

Chas