Sign in to follow this  
pryoski

If you're into helicopters; the Schweizer S300CBi

Bill, it takes a different mind set and a new set of muscle memory to fly helicopters

​Kris,

I am a real world helicopter pilot with a type rating in the SK-64 (Sikorsky S-64).

I have flown numerous full motion sims from Bell and Sikorsky, so I have hovering and flying sims down.  :smile:

To add to the conversation I have type ratings in the DC-3 and several other transport aircraft.

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

​Kris,

I am a real world helicopter pilot with a type rating in the SK-64 (Sikorsky S-64).

I have flown numerous full motion sims from Bell and Sikorsky, so I have hovering and flying sims down.  :smile:

To add to the conversation I have type ratings in the DC-3 and several other transport aircraft.

blaustern

Hello William,I believe he was responding to JYW's post.Cheers

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Would people say it's accessible to a complete whirlybird newbie? ...... as I said, I've never flown a helicopter in X-Plane so no idea how great the learning curve will be in terms of being able to maneouvre it - even just a little!

I'd give it a thumbs up on accessibility.

All of the Dreamfoil helicopters that I own have a nicely adjustable sensitivity setting, as well as an 'arcade mode'. With those two settings, they become pretty easy and stable.

As an indicator of how stable, When the S300cbi was released, I had my simpit setup with my PFC yoke console, so no room to use my chair seat mounted stick. I couldn't resist - after a few startups and walkarounds, I simply had to see it in the air - I assigned one of my levers to the collective, set the sensitivities to minimum, cranked it up, and took off.... with the yoke. :smile:  Doubt I could of landed it nicely, but I was able to fly it around for a bit!

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

@Bluestar; as mentioned by Patrick, yes I was responding to JYW's post :).

Yourself as an experienced S-64 pilot, I'd be interested on your take on the DCS helicopter modules if you've flown them.

If haven't yet, I think that you'd definitely be interested in how they fly, however as we're primarily talking about X-Plane here, have you flown any of the X-Plane models?

I profess I've never flown FSX helicopters .. only fixed wing.

My only RW perspective about helicopters comes from flying *in* them *baggage-class* as a former member of Her Majesty QEII's spear chucker brigade ... back in the wild days of my mis-spent youth :P  and both XP and DCS helicopters feel very convincing to me.

• Upvote 1

There's a great review at Helisimmer where it's one of the top rated helicopters there and scores slightly higher than the DCS Huey (which I also love)

When you said the review was great, you weren't kidding. That review ticks all the boxes for what I'd like to see anytime I read a review.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the input folks - I'm going to grab it, and start practicing my hovering! :smile:

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.