Sign in to follow this  
Rudi

What will be the future of flight-simming?

Guest koorby

Not only do I have all sliders maxxed inside FS9, I have AA8 and AF16 running on the 700GTX outside the sim, at 1920x1200. All that power however, is not being used by MS's code today; hopefully FS10 will rectify this somewhat.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Yeah, but c'mon guys. With what kind of framerate? I like having some AI Traffic. I also like addon airports sceneries. It would be nice if there were some performance headroom left for such niceties.But lets say that you have MyTraffic 2004 or Ultimate Traffic installed and have it set at 65, or maybe even 50 percent. Can you land at someplace like the default KDEN or KSFO and get 40 FPS dipping to 30 at the lowest? I'm not even talking about adding some complex weather in, which I think you might know a thing or two about Jim. ;)I really like my addons. I know I can only expect so much performance with them in there. But I kind of wonder... Let's say I have not deleted the X:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Autogendefault.xml file. I am only running a default FS2004 with absolutely no addons. I have all sliders and settings maxed. I wonder if I could get 40 FPS dipping to 30 at the very lowest landing at a complex airport with the default 737(KDFW anybody? lol).Uhmm, I'm just being facetious people. *:-* I'll probably never know anyway because I like my addons. FS2004 is a very nice sim and sure has come a long way if you compare it old versions such as FS98/FS2000. I do wish I had better FPS and fewer stutters(although I don't have what I would call a stutter problem) with some headroom figured in and left for addons. Would be nice, no? A guy can dream can't he!?!? Lol. I get decent performance and like I said I don't have a stutter problem. And I'm not blind to the fact that FS2004 is extremely complex and handling and rendering an incredible amoutn of information, but I still wish for better, such as 40 FPS when landing at a complex airport. I still see a lot of people saying that they get something like 20, or lower, and that's how it is for me too.All I know is that what we have now is pretty great but for the future of 'MSFS' I would like to see great performance without having to wait for a future computer system, if possible.Question: Does anybody know why FS2004 doesn't take advantage of having 2 GB's of System RAM?Cheers,OneTinSoldierSystem Specs:Intel 3.4C(C = Northwood Core) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax RG651P-VE 550W PSU, 2 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, NEC MultiSync FE2111SB 21" CRT Monitor, Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE Videocard with v5.9 Catalyst Drivers, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with Creative OpenAL Beta Driver, 250 GB w/8 MB Cache Western Digital 7200 RPM Parallel ATA HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, Comcast Cable Internet Connection, Nortons Anti-virus and Personal Firewall 2005

Koorby, I like your autogen buildings, but there are always the blurred FS9 airport buildings (even with AEU7) still hanging around the airport.Active camera fulfills what you describe with their external walk around mode. I use it for pre-flight inspection when I really want to become immersed. You can even squat down to look under cowlings or wheel wells for oil leaks.Eaglesoft, I have three of their jets, has a free scenery download with hanger and FBO office by "Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming" on their download website page. Once you know how to use the scenery download you can position it at any airport you wish. The hanger is finished on the inside with tool boxes etc. The hanger door opens and closes. I use the scenery for their jets and to house the Aeroworx Med Evac B200. What I would like to have is the FBO office finished on the inside with what you would expect to see in such an office. With active camera, in the external mode, I can walk over to the office, go inside to look at the wall chart, fuel plan, get flight info, etc. I could then walk back to the hanger where the mechanic has tugged (slew) the airplane out onto the ramp.Talking about driving into town. I have driven from my relatives house (using ObjectPlacer)in Alabama to the airport (St Elmo) in a downloaded car (VW)using USA Roads. I positioned fast food restaurants at the corners I had to turn left or right. I parked the car on the tarmac where the airplane will be loaded into the sim for flight. It seems that all the aspects of flight sim immersion that you desire already exist in some addon form.

"While you taxi to the runway the engine will be drawing everything on the other side of the terminal, that you can't even see"How do you know that? Just curious

Krister, I know what you're talking about. I haven't tried it yet but can't a person act (log on) as an observer where your internet friend is viewing your cockpit? I would like to see a pilot / co-pilot situation over an internet connection where the co-pilot can have input from his position. Head phones can give ATC and intercom communication. The co-pilot would have to have a mouse connection and stick inputs when he is flying.I miss the cockpit chatter and interaction."Cessna N5756B what was your last known position ? ....Chicago Center, ummm...when I was number one for take-off".

I'd like to see towering CB with extensive vertical development, thunderstorms with anvil heads, hail. Maybe it's my own setup, but I still don't get the feeling that the clouds in FS9 are really volumetric. It would be nice to be able to file IFR in flight via local FSS in the simulator, without having to exit the program, use the flight planning tool, and then come back.It would be nice to be able to get HIWAS and TWEBs. Also to receive on over the NAV and transmit on COM.Gee wouldn't it be cool to get near-real time NEXRAD data uploaded to a weather radar gauge, just like real aircraft do that have this uplink capability.Shadows on the ground from clouds.Putting ice on the exterior aircraft model during icing conditions.Dynamic-changing water textures that reflect the direction and strength of surface wind.Altered friction coefficients to reflect wet or icy runways.Airports that aren't always flattened.Accurately scaled autogen objects. The houses and trees in my set up seem to be waaaay too big, and the roads seem to be waaaay too narrow and small, even four lane highways. I'd love to see some moving traffic on the roads, even at altitude.Just some thoughts.