Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

Looks Like AS16, ASCA, & REX Soft Clouds CAN Work Together

Doing some research today I found these ...

First, this link, where OMGEDSON seems to have applied all three packages simultaneously:

http://www.theskylounge.tv/forums/topic/1346-active-sky-2016-asca-rex-soft-clouds-my-thoughts-and-settings/

The solution was deceptively simple ... set the ASCA config to control only sky colors (or sky colors and cloud structures, if you like), then run the REX theme installer LAST so the textures in the sim are the REX Soft Cloud textures. 

Check out his screen shots on the site. There are plenty, including before / after (and note this before / after ASCA injection comparison):

Before (with REX):

bhK8u3b.jpg

After (ASCA only):

5ORclBW.jpg

And here are some of the visuals achieved by using all three:
3Cq0gbw.jpg

R5XpVqj.jpg

hVVQg9e.jpg

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20va0tJ

Those have me pretty excited.

A YouTuber took this method and did a video on the process and results, which is here. Note that this is still Global Automatic:

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Very simple indeed, but then you would buy ASCA for the skies only... You'd be stuck with the same old soft clouds forever and ever. I know that some will like that but it sort of defeats the purpose of ASCA. You also won't get the 'new' complete overcast skies.

I wonder if you would keep 'cloud structures' enabled in ASCA in order to get the nice thunderstorm clouds?  I'll have to try this out!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I really didnt get why they made 2 separate products (as16 and asca). And more then that why asca hasn't got a demo ? How do we supposed to know if its really worth it without buying it.

Roi Ben

In terms of the video, part of me wonders how much people are just amazed by just turning their clouds to max.  It really is astonishing, even with ASN.  I do imagine that AS16 makes it even better but, gosh, it's getting hard to tell what's going on with people trying various things.  I haven't had time to load up my sim for a couple of weeks so I'm just sitting on the sidelines, watching everyone trying all the new things.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The effects and the sky in AS16 makes P3D look like an entirely new sim. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I really didnt get why they made 2 separate products (as16 and asca)

So they could do dynamic texture loading.

And more then that why asca hasn't got a demo ? How do we supposed to know if its really worth it without buying it.

Because, this is not possible to create a demo of a product like this.  These are just textures.  How are they supposed to ensure you don't go past the demo period?  All they are are images stored on your HDD.  AFAIK, there's no way to make those "expire".

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Before (with REX):

bhK8u3b.jpg

After (ASCA only):

5ORclBW.jpg

Thank you - this alone is enough for me to stay with REX4/Soft Clouds, I see a significant downgrade going from that to ASCA.  I'll get AS16 for sure, but ASCA will wait.  Until they can best that top image, REX4 is where I stay.

• Upvote 1

sig01.png

So they could do dynamic texture loading.

Because, this is not possible to create a demo of a product like this.  These are just textures.  How are they supposed to ensure you don't go past the demo period?  All they are are images stored on your HDD.  AFAIK, there's no way to make those "expire".

Well you said yourself. I need acsa to have dynamic weather, which means i need to have the client. What will help me to keep all those not very nice textures ?

Roi Ben

Thank you - this alone is enough for me to stay with REX4/Soft Clouds, I see a significant downgrade going from that to ASCA.  I'll get AS16 for sure, but ASCA will wait.  Until they can best that top image, REX4 is where I stay.

Of course, you abilities as a photographer will now be in question... :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I bit and did this this morning. Kept the cloud structures and sky textures. It worked really well. Clouds looked great and the weather changed without my ever noticing the weather had changed. For what it's worth, I was pleased.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Some of those sky colours are very, very odd to look at. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

What will help me to keep all those not very nice textures ?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here?  What "not very nice textures" are you trying to keep?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here?  What "not very nice textures" are you trying to keep?

You said its just textures. But in fact its not, its a software that able you to have dynamic weather changes. Got it ?

Roi Ben

I really didnt get why they made 2 separate products (as16 and asca). And more then that why asca hasn't got a demo ? How do we supposed to know if its really worth it without buying it.

You said its just textures. But in fact its not, its a software that able you to have dynamic weather changes. Got it ?

You do not need ASCA to get dynamic weather changes. You ONLY need ASCA to get dynamic changing textures. Entirely different thing. Any weather addon will give you dynamic weather changes already.

And they made AS16 and ASCA seperate products because they are totally different. They do work together but can't be compared. AS16 is a weather engine and ASCA is a texture addon. They COULD have combined the two but they probably didn't because not everyone would want to have those new textures. Which various posts on this forum have proven to be true.