Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Question about Tweaks

Thx Steve, and yes, the AS16 recommended AM setting depends on the CPU in use - it's 14 in my case because I'm on a 2500 ( no HT )...

The only thing that AM=14 setting did for me was cause massive blurries. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Running a four core with HT disabled Bob? I would try running addon with affinity above core zero and use all four cores with no AM specified in that case. None the less many users do report good performance on three cores.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The only thing that AM=14 setting did for me was cause massive blurries. 

Not in my case, and more stable FPS for sure with AM set than without it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This may be because if run with no AM and allow an addon to use core zero, then that first sim job, the renderer core, would be shared with another process that would by definition be running when the sim runs. That's why I suggest moving the addon exe above core zero where it does less harm. If an app can be steered with an affinity setting use that, or start them with a .bat file that asserts affinity on the app.

In other words, we cannot simply muck around with AMs, we need to also set the addons affinity, and be sure we know what the core/LP count is and if HT is enabled or not.

Ok...as usual this is a complex issue....

I set my own affinity using the windows task manager. I have P3D set for Core 1,2,3  And I have AS16, and other items such as vPilot running on Core 0. I do this every time I fly. So using the AM14, does that change what I do? It runs well without the changes to FFTF and AM, thats why I asked if it is still necessary. 

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I think that theoretically, what Steve is saying is spot on but in practical application it can get skewed by some of the stuff some of us have on our systems. Otherwise, using 116 on a 3770 HT ON would work for everyone.

I have no idea WHY but my 3770 system runs best with HT off and an AM of 15.  Interesting to me is that if I use NO AM, I would "assume" it would default to 15 but even though it looks like it in task manager, the performance is certainly different with AM15 vs no AM.

I've tried every combination that has been mentioned, HT on/off , offloaded other apps to various cores, bought the program to assign cores, etc - keep coming back to AM15.

Go figure.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

P3D without any add-ons provides the best performance, bar none.  :P

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

P3D without any add-ons provides the best performance, bar none.  :P

Well of course that goes without saying. But more along the lines of when I am using addons, which I do, and you do as well, just trying to make sure that I have my computer tuned properly to give the best performance I an squeeze out of it.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Well of course that goes without saying. But more along the lines of when I am using addons, which I do, and you do as well, just trying to make sure that I have my computer tuned properly to give the best performance I an squeeze out of it.

Oh my God, I'll have to write this down in my journal, someone actually agreed with something I said!  Saints be praised! Wooohooo!

Have you ever tried goat herding?  You stand out in a field (P3D) with 50 goats (add-ons), all standing around aimlessly eating.  They're good strong and impressive goats, and they know what they want to do, but it conflicts with what you want them to do.  So, you grab a prod and start poking the goats.  They get upset, start running everywhere else, so you in turn start chasing them down, but that doesn't work.  Next, you grab your dog and his name is Tweaks.  You send Tweaks out there to herd up the goats and get them to do what you want, but Tweaks would rather sit in the shed and sleep.

Your day has just been turned upside down and you think to yourself "wow, my field was much better looking and more impressive and strong without the goats".

Point being, leave your beautiful field as it is.  Send the goats into your neighbors field and enjoy yours as it is.  You can maybe add a little fertilizer and water (settings changes) to your field and before you know it, you're smiling and happy with how your field turned out.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

You're OK with what you are doing Brian.

Vic, the sim (P3D v3.2+) runs exactly the same with four cores four LPs. AM=0=15=NoAM makes no difference to how the sim runs and works on a four core no HT. The differences come from the order in the jobscheduler when other exe processes are started. As long as you always do the same sequence starting up, it should work the same.

You're OK with what you are doing Brian.

Vic, the sim (P3D v3.2+) runs exactly the same with four cores four LPs. AM=0=15=NoAM makes no difference to how the sim runs and works on a four core no HT. The differences come from the order in the jobscheduler when other exe processes are started. As long as you always do the same sequence starting up, it should work the same.

That's about what I figured Steve - nice to get it confirmed. I do have a set routine and always start things in the same order after doing a reboot.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

OK how about this to confuse things... I've just set up a few tests and shows one of the prominent reasons why so many have a differing experience with settings. I've got a 60fps monitor and set up the sim to produce around 40-45fps mid scenario. So with VSync On I see the fps go between around 30 and 60, and I get stutter. That's because the VSync is steering the sim output to 60 fps. Looks like poor performance but it's got nothing to do with performance. Now in the same situation I turn off VSync, I get consistent 40-45fps. Next I increased the load on the sim with increased Water LOD and Autogen to produce nearer 30fps mid scenario. I get a smoother sim in appearance, I don't have any more performance. I do have more frames appearing at around the refresh frequency. Changing an AM can have the same effect, it can reduce the available performance "tuning" the sim to a better relationship with the monitor. We can look at the fps stability with tools like fraps but these can only show the time between frames, not the available throughput ceiling of a system.

Isn't this what we've been talking about for quite a while?  Getting the sim "balanced"? In a way, I think that's what you described. I recall back when I was using FSX that I was having a heck of a time getting smooth operation. In a conversation with NickN he suggested I "increase" my settings rather than decreasing them. Moved them up and around a bit and ultimately found the sweet spot.

As you've said before we've got a lot of stuff going on at the same time - CPU, GPU, Memory, IO transfer, Software, etc - frankly, sometimes I'm amazed that these things even run at all!

Vic

Alright, then so I can clear this up, if I am setting the cores up on my own, then I should not need to set a specific AM in the Jobscheduler? I have a totally fresh .cfg file and have not made any changes. This kind of thing has always confused me as I do most of my performance tweaks via sliders rather then .cfg entries.

Brian A. Neuman

Brian, when you start the sim with no AM in the cfg it will start up on each core. (I'm presuming you're using a four core no HT). Then when you uncheck core zero in Task Manager the job on core zero, and all its baggage, moves onto core 1. It might be slightly better to simply put AM=14 in the cfg to save you doing that move, and it also means the sim will start up with better options internally than when it is moved about with TM.