Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

Any FSX users running AS16/ASCA?

I am very impressed by the what AS16 with ASCA can do, at least in their PR videos, but does the tech work in FSX?  And the standard (IMO loaded) question: is it worth it for FSX considering that I already use ASN and REXE/softclouds?

As for any mods who feel "too many topics on this subject", well I only own FSX and am only interested in what other FSX users have to say about this product.  I have visited the P3D forum, and yes, there are varied topics and conversations happening there, all which are obviously P3D centric. Let the FSX users have something to say about this product!

• Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hi,

I have both AS16 + ASCA and I'm having a good time with them (FSX DX10)

I would say there is not a whole lot of difference between ASN and AS16 from the outside but internally they have done some extra work. I've tried AS16 + REX soft clouds and love that they work well together too.

I'm happy with the upgrade and everything seems to work with FSX just fine so far I love the dynamic texture changes its pretty cool!

Hi,

I have both AS16 + ASCA and I'm having a good time with them (FSX DX10)

I would say there is not a whole lot of difference between ASN and AS16 from the outside but internally they have done some extra work. I've tried AS16 + REX soft clouds and love that they work well together too.

I'm happy with the upgrade and everything seems to work with FSX just fine so far I love the dynamic texture changes its pretty cool!

Ziggy,

You say there is not a lot of difference between ASN and AS16. Wondering therefore if it really is worth the upgrade for FSX version?

I'm not so bothered about cosmetic changes, weather radar and the like, but am intrigued by the actual weather aspects such as 'in cloud motion effects', 'solid overcast', 'new weather scenarios and effects'.

How many of these come with or are effective in the FSX version and which need ASCA to work?

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

You say there is not a lot of difference between ASN and AS16. Wondering therefore if it really is worth the upgrade for FSX version?

why don't you try it for yourself, there is a 7 day trial period to see  for yourself

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

There're significant differences between ASN and AS16. AS16 has better depiction of storms, including vertical winds within them (don't attempt to fly through a thunderstorm...), cloud motion effect, improved weather radar API, more user options and customization, high latitude cloud fix, Navigraph data integration for its flight planning and map functions, improved X-gauge weather radar, etc.

All of these work well on my system running FSX-SE.

By all means, check these out via the free trial version.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Do you need ASCA for the cloud motion effects?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the free trial, I'll be trying that out soon.  This is all I was hoping for:

There're significant differences between ASN and AS16. AS16 has better depiction of storms, including vertical winds within them (don't attempt to fly through a thunderstorm...), cloud motion effect, improved weather radar API, more user options and customization, high latitude cloud fix, Navigraph data integration for its flight planning and map functions, improved X-gauge weather radar, etc.

All of these work well on my system running FSX-SE.

I don't expect the "solid overcast" to be working in FSX since the overcast layer in P3D is rendered volumetrically; this does not exist in FSX (but it sure would be nice to be surprised...oh that nasty FSX haze layer "sheet", I'd love to see that improved).  I can only imagine that there must be an FPS price to pay with all of this...though I'll be finding that out soon enough.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Topic locked as we have more than many topics about this new product already posted here on AVSIM.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10