Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

New Computer: Intel 6700K @ 4.6ghz + Nvidia 1080GTX VS X-Plane 10

These are not beauty pics, they're strictly functional for showing frame-rates over a large city, (New York) which stayed locked at 30 with Vsync on and between 30 and 45 with it off. Frames tended to dip while taking screenshots.

Cutting to the chase, it seems this tech combo does really well with X-plane! Its hard to Imagine wanting much more.........

Eclipse_5_zpsh3eclcc9.png

Eclipse_4_zpsj5a6yh65.png

Eclipse_2_zpso3n18iki.png

Eclipse_3_zpsc2kljaol.png

Eclipse_7_zpsq6pyghku.png

Eclipse_8_zpscmnb3nf0.png

Eclipse_7_zpsq6pyghku.png

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Pretty good!  I'll see how mine does tomorrow with a GTX1080 and 34" LG 34UC87C Curved QHD 3440 x 1440, both arrive tomorrow.

1920x1080p is a walk in the park for a GTX1080 :)

Which GTX 1080 cards do you guy have?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Which GTX 1080 cards do you guy have?

This is mine:  :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have ordered a Palit GTX1080 Gamerock. I will post my results later, at the moment I have a GTX 970 so I am expecting a slight increase in both FPS and the ability to turn up the eye candy.

Lol, I just got a new PC with a GTX960 (4 GB) and 32 GB RAM -- compared to the old GT530 it is hard to find the proper words for my excitement. But I see now I'm way behind again.:D

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Ha ha Mario, yes, welcome to the world of technology. I'm well behind, I still run my sim on a laptop :-)

Talking about eye candy...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/491659-what-x-plane-1050-can-do/

These are not beauty pics, they're strictly functional for showing frame-rates over a large city, (New York) which stayed locked at 30 with Vsync on and between 30 and 45 with it off. Frames tended to dip while taking screenshots.

Cutting to the chase, it seems this tech combo does really well with X-plane! Its hard to Imagine wanting much more.........

NYC in X-Plane is completely CPU limited, not a good choice for showcasing the GPU (in good weather that is). You CPU is fast nevertheless.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Talking about eye candy...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/491659-what-x-plane-1050-can-do/

NYC in X-Plane is completely CPU limited, not a good choice for showcasing the GPU (in good weather that is). You CPU is fast nevertheless.

I was aiming for a balanced test with both CPU and GPU getting a workout, since I had maxed the graphical effects as well. I later noticed I had hadn't maxed the water, but when I did, it changed nothing.

The only thing I had trouble with was shadows, which dragged me to 22fps. Leave them off. Interestingly, turning down the tree settings by one notch brought me to 40fps even with Vsync enabled.

Traffic? Yuck. Turning on the cars sucks frames like Pac Man eating pellets.

Interestingly enough, GPU utilization never exceeded 80% so it looks like there might be some things yet to be gained there to take advantage of the extra power.

Devons rig

Balancing CPU and GPU load is the high art of X-Plane tweaking. It's also tricky because once your GPU is under pressure, CPU load goes up too, giving you wrong numbers. Ben recommended me to test CPU in 1024 with AA off. That way, you really see where the limit of your CPU is. Then you move up resolutions, then take care of the GPU.

You are right, forget shadows. Not worth it really. Also water stresses CPU, as the elements that are reflected have to be drawn. I settled for "low" so only the clouds are reflected, it is a good compromise. Since 10.50b, a 4+Ghz i7 fares pretty well in handling X-Plane with loads of objects (extreme objects, very far LOD is now possible, it wasn't before). Oh and it's official that anything than the lowest car setting is crazy.

Do your tests with VSYNC off only (turn it on for actually flying).

You will bring down any GPU when 8x AA at high resolutions meets certain cloud formations (real weather), don't worry. But in case you have any GPU horses left over in the end, you can use artcontrol datarefs to improve the AA quality.

-

You will bring down any GPU when 8x AA at high resolutions meets certain cloud formations (real weather), don't worry. But in case you have any GPU horses left over in the end, you can use artcontrol datarefs to improve the AA quality (and lower your FPS dramatically).

I'm using Skymaxx, and clouds don't seem to be nearly as much of an issue as the default ones. For the first time, I maxed them as well, with no apparent impact (so far!)

I hardly ever use real weather though. As you mentioned, I previously found it drew lots of resources, and was not all that much more interesting to me than choosing a preset.

Devons rig

I'm using Skymaxx, and clouds don't seem to be nearly as much of an issue as the default ones. For the first time, I maxed them as well, with no apparent impact (so far!)

I am talking SkyMaxx, too (3.2.1) and you are right, they perform better than default. However, when using real weather (and RWC), that's all relative, as heavy weather will require more power than any of X-Plane's weather profiles. And it's hard to test, as you need to come across this type of weather (heavy cumulus and far visibility) first. 

Also don't forget to actually fly to test. Some things only show when moving (instead of panning). Your settings might create microstutters, a flightsimmers worst nightmare. These are tiny little pauses every few seconds and they eat you alive - but they only appear when moving, and don't seem to be related to the framerate.

-

Lol, I just got a new PC with a GTX960 (4 GB) and 32 GB RAM -- compared to the old GT530 it is hard to find the proper words for my excitement. But I see now I'm way behind again

Yes, but at least you didn't pay anywhere near £659 for it :shok: :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, but at least you didn't pay anywhere near £659 for it :shok: :blink:

I actually paid $699 US and thought I was getting a good deal, as the Strix cards are more precious than platinum, they are so hard to find. If you want to see some real horror, look at what the scalpers are selling cards for on Ebay and Amazon! 

Devons rig

I started out in the GPU card world as a game developer during the Voodoo I series pre-relase/release time period.  It still amazes me how much we have advanced in such a short  time.

Right now I'm using the Zotac 1080 Amp! for $629 directly from Zotak through Amazon Prime about 3 weeks back.  It clocks at 1949 Mhz out of the box and runs full load at around 65-70c. I've used all the major mfrs throughout the years and the build quality is on the par with EVGA tier mfrs. It came with a 5 year warranty.  

Performance in SIM is on the same level as already posted in this thread and other threads.  This generation of cards seems very close in performance across mfrs and even individual cards more than recent previous generations. 

With the 1070 and 1060 cards already in place this is a very interesting time for GPU cards.

• Upvote 1

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's