Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Computer won't boot into Windows 7 anymore

I'm not sure what's going on, I never had this problem before. I usually leave my computer on 24/7, haven't put it to sleep or shut it down in a month or so, but everytime I shutdown or restart, it's fine. But as of today when I go to start menu and restart, my computer boots up past the ASUS logo screen and then black screen, and nothing... it just sits there forever. I tried to push the reset button on my tower a few times and same thing.

I wanted to enter Safe mode but f8 opens up the default UEFI boot menu and there's no safe option at all so I don't know how to even enter safe mode.

But any how after a few tries of resetting my machine and rebooting, it takes me back into Windows 7 again. This happens randomly, and I'm not sure what's causing my machine to behave this way all of a sudden. I haven't done or changed anything on my machine. I have Windows 7 ultimate 64bit installed from my 128GB SSD drive... it has about 42GB left. I'm not sure if my SSD drive is going bad or what, but it can't be because I'm able to boot up into Windows 7 randomly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just hangs on a black screen.

Sigh, I'm nervous and not sure what's going on. Anyone know what it could be or how I may fix the problem?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Sigh, I'm nervous and not sure what's going on. Anyone know what it could be or how I may fix the problem?

Rant: Leaving the computer on 24/7 is just asking for trouble....

Are you getting any motherboard error codes displaying/sounding?

Have you reset the MB CMOS?

Also check CMOS battery is not under voltage (3V).

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

No motherboard error codes at all. I haven't reset the cmos on my mobo yet. Will resetting the cmos mess with my overlock settings or any other settings that I have?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

have Windows 7 ultimate 64bit installed from my 128GB SSD drive... it has about 42GB left. I'm not sure if my SSD drive is going bad or what

If you are running Intel SSDs you need to run the Intel SSD Toolbox.  Other SSD manufactures have similar tools.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If you are running Intel SSDs you need to run the Intel SSD Toolbox.  Other SSD manufactures have similar tools.

blaustern

I have a Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD. So does this still apply?

I have a Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD. So does this still apply?

Yes, all SSDs have some form of TRIM system for cleanup and maintenance.  I would go to the Crucial website as a start.  I did a Google search using "crucial ssd trim windows 7"  and found a great deal of information.  

blaustern

My SSD already has TRIM support enabled under Windows already.

No motherboard error codes at all. I haven't reset the cmos on my mobo yet. Will resetting the cmos mess with my overlock settings or any other settings that I have?

Yes it will.

Make sure you save your current bios settings.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

As others have said leaving your PC on continuously is asking for trouble. What about updates that require a reboot to become effective? Do you apply updates?

Anyway, to answer your problem try powering the PC off and disconnect the power cable for 30 secs. Then plug it back in and start it up. I had a strange boot-up problem recently and doing that solved it.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As others have said leaving your PC on continuously is asking for trouble. What about updates that require a reboot to become effective? Do you apply updates?

Anyway, to answer your problem try powering the PC off and disconnect the power cable for 30 secs. Then plug it back in and start it up. I had a strange boot-up problem recently and doing that solved it.

Took the words right out of my mouth Ray.  Yes, Windows likes to sneak in updates that CAN cause a serious hang on the OS and you have to perform a hard shutdown to get your system to come back up and then Windows may try to re-download critical updates (especially Patch Tuesday updates).  MS seems to get more sneaky with their updates now, with no notification.

If and when you get your system back up to the desktop, check the event viewer to see where errors may have occurred, but I suspect it could have been due to those pesky updates being downloaded and installed, or at least attempted to be installed and maybe even failed.

At work, I sued to keep my machine on all the time, but performed a reboot at the end of my work day.  Even doing that, did cause occasional hangups which I had to rectify with a hard shutdown.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

My SSD already has TRIM support enabled under Windows already.

I was reading on the Crucial website and for TRIM to work the computer has to be idle with specific steps to get it to that point.  If it is never shutdown there could be various updates waiting to be processed that could have kept it from going to idle.

I shut my machines down ever night and run the Intel SSD Tool fit weekly.

blaustern

BlueStar,

Windows 7 has a Trim service built in. That should be more than enough. Separate Trim control is only needed for XP.

I have never run any sort of Trim software. My Samsung SSDs use Magician. I just set that up when I first used it and rarely touch it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sometimes an update/upgrade that requires a reboot can cause a problem. Quite often on a HD it is down to a bad sector that the new update/upgrade has come across. and thus prevents Windows from running at all. One solution is to cold install your version of windows onto a new disc and then clone the old one over the top!

As others have said leaving your PC on continuously is asking for trouble. Not to mention the 'lecky bill afterwards!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Jude,

You appear to have included your reply within my quote making it look the whole thing has come from me. Nothing controversial so not a problem. Just saying. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather