Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight Simulator [Official]

Will you be demonstrating any preview versions of DTG Flight Simulator at the Cosford 2016 Flightsim Show on October 8?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Since so little info is known about this 'next' sim, not sure what questions would properly pertain to it.

For now I would ask, is this 'next' sim building upon FSX like P3D and Flight, or more of a complete departure like X-Plane?

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

For me, immersion is most important.. I want to feel like I'm flying a plane.  therefore,

1)will TrackIR be implemented (and VR, for when I find the cash to splurge!)

2) How will scenery be visualized?  So far FTX Orbyx has hit the sweet spot on photo textures and hand placed landmarks, with suitable autogen to fill in the blanks.  More abstract visuals are never as satisfying in the long term.  What approach will the new sim take, and will it also concentrate on region-packs (or area unlocks, etc)

3)  a living world. Car traffic, air traffic, boats, animated waves, windmills, flight crew, sea gulls etc add tremendously. Microsoft Flight was a step up on the world topology/cityscape but was utterly dead and frozen in place.

4) damage model + effects.  i don't care too much about the politics of it, but half the entertainment value of combat sims is seeing your crumpled wreck when you mess up.  I understand an airliner turning into a fireball is distasteful but having a plane freeze like a block when it hits the ground after a failure or error is not immersive and does not put give the event the gravitas it deserves.. can there be a middle ground, or a toggle? 

5) can we have AI wingmates?  I don't have the time to play online, but it would be great to have AI wingmen to lead maneouvres and give the player someone to formate to or who will follow.

I know this usually doesn't apply except for the military, but I can imagine a couple of friends who have cessnas or small planes might like to fly together to, no?

6) will you be modelling choppers?

7) will you be allowing for a variation of cloud looks/formations?  I'm spoiled by REX and have trouble feeling immersed when the sky is littered with evenly spaced puff balls.

many thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

For me, immersion is most important..

1) Since TrackIR is implemented in Flight School, it should also appear in the main Flight Simulator. About VR, I don't know.

2) Dovetail have said that all of the world is accessable from the start with ORBX FTX Global BASE as default.

3) Car traffic, air traffic and boats are in Flight School, which I'd be safe to say should be in Flight Simulator.

Not sure about the rest.

Júnior Silva

Is this normal ? I recently purchased night environment through DTG, and when I clicked on FSX it immeaditly started to install  night environment but FSX again as a first time install which will take about 3 hrs to  install

it is not a quick verification install but  looks like a full

Who will be making the default sky and clouds and to what extent will you be excluding others from making changes?

Do you intend to encourage third party freeware by creating an open and level playing field or will you pick a few power players to receive inside information about formats and processes while leaving everyone else to use some in game inferior development tools without benefit of that same knowledge?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

They announced the new Train Simulator, with the new engine (Unreal Engine 4). It looks amazing. I was wondering if they just made a Flight sim with this engine.

Some pics:

Loco_01.jpg

In_Cab.jpg

They announced the new Train Simulator, with the new engine (Unreal Engine 4). It looks amazing. I was wondering if they just made a Flight sim with this engine.

In a word - No.

• Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

For me, and I'm sure a lot of others, it's now this simple. I really understand if there is no facility to port aircraft, scenery or other add-ons over. We all know the market leaders in stuff, and working with them to licence and integrate basic or base versions with direct links via Steam to upgrade the add-ons integrally within the game is both Win Win and straight forward to accept for us consumers.

However, if the Simulator does not have full VR support 64Bit, up to date graphics engine and a wide range of drivers for hardware from Day 1 then it's a non starter. It has to compete and hit the ground running. DCS 2.0 is your benchmark for graphics, UI and hardware support. Dan at Flyinside also is one very switched on guy. His handle on Leap Motion integration is leading the way, as with a Yoke and throttles, the Oculus Touch units are not really suitable for Flight Simulation.

If you can't offer these things, don't bother pitching the game...you'll fall way short.

Best of luck. Collabaration is the key in my humble opinion. 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I disagree with the insistence on VR and Leap Motion support being an absolute requirement. Aside from having zero interest in either technology, I simply cannot afford such luxury items. I suspect the same holds for the vast majority of flight simmers in the world, especially those in third-world countries.

Why should "we who are the greater of the whole" be deprived of any improvements at all?

• Upvote 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I also don't think DTG need to provide a "perfect" experience out of the gate. They don't have to.

Not only Train Sim, but also FSX, and DCS have all "trained" sim consumers--whether we like it of not--to accept that the "base" sim simply provides an infrastructure on which an endless variety of add-on's can be layered and to which, in the case of TS and DCS, an endless stream of updates can be applied. In the world of these sims, anyway, state of the art has become a cooperative enterprise. The very presence of ORBX in the development of this new sim is evidence that DTG knows they don't have to do it all.

Tim

Microsoft didn't provide a perfect experience out of the box with FSX but they didn't tailor their software to the needs and wants of a few corporate partners. Everyone was in the same boat. Lockheed Martin appears to have rewritten their sim to suit the wants ands needs of Orbx, hiFi, and REX. If Dovetail is to provide a modern platform to succeed FSX as they say they want to then they have to leave room for ideas that no one has yet even thought of.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I'll come back here when there is some news about how it's going. Looks to me as though so far there is a lot of "puff", but not much real information about this product, except that it is "coming soon", and apparently has been "coming soon" since at least February 2016. Well, how should I define "soon"? This year, next year, sometime this decade?

I'm afraid that my expectations have been raised, only to be flattened by lack of any indication of progress.

I trust that you are running it as a professional project, with due dates, real requirements, and proper management and control, because from the little that is currently leaking through to this side of the fence, I would suspect that the answer to that may not be as positive as I would expect it to be with a serious software development program.

And remember, the definition of a project is a piece of work with a known start date, a defined end date, and a defined set of deliverables, all in a project plan. So far, I see a start date, some quite nebulous deliverables, and no end date in sight. Worrying.

In the mean time, good luck with the project. I wish you no harm, but the professional project manager in me is ringing alarm bells about what we know about it, and where it appears to be going.

• Upvote 2

I'll come back here when there is some news about how it's going. Looks to me as though so far there is a lot of "puff", but not much real information about this product, except that it is "coming soon", and apparently has been "coming soon" since at least February 2016. Well, how should I define "soon"? This year, next year, sometime this decade?

I'm afraid that my expectations have been raised, only to be flattened by lack of any indication of progress.

I trust that you are running it as a professional project, with due dates, real requirements, and proper management and control, because from the little that is currently leaking through to this side of the fence, I would suspect that the answer to that may not be as positive as I would expect it to be with a serious software development program.

And remember, the definition of a project is a piece of work with a known start date, a defined end date, and a defined set of deliverables, all in a project plan. So far, I see a start date, some quite nebulous deliverables, and no end date in sight. Worrying.

In the mean time, good luck with the project. I wish you no harm, but the professional project manager in me is ringing alarm bells about what we know about it, and where it appears to be going.

They have stated on the Steam forum that it will be out "towards the end of the year".

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton