Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

DTG Flight Simulator News Thread [Officia]

AI, ATC, Sound system - all left untouched so far with their obvious bugs as it was in fsx

Perhaps the upcoming release of X-P 11 has made them realise that the FSX engine in any form has had its day and it's now about Dovetail's credibility as serious flight sim developers. Microsoft well and truly sold them a pup.

XP11 is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, yes.

On the other hand, since DTG hasn't shown anything since Flight School, we have no idea what progress they've made since then. I'm holding out hope for a good addition to the civilian FS market, because I think LM and Laminar need the competition to light a fire under them. Then maybe we'd get a 64-bit P3D and seasons/better weather in X-Plane.

Even with old FSX code, today's typical user computer is so powerful that there has to be some slack for running inefficient code and work-arounds to give people the flight experience they want. The move to 64-bit alone should free up room for things like pre-loading scenery so there is high texture detail, no pop-in, and good detail to the horizon. We didn't see that in Flight School, but maybe they were just getting their feet wet with the code base.

For example, the new XP11 recommended specs are "16-24 GB RAM or more." That means it now includes the distant terrain loading feature as default (extended DSF). That was an option in XP10 and they now just include it, because they assume users will have more than 8 gigs of RAM. If DTG takes the same approach, they should be able to do some great things with the address space. 

So I'm remaining hopeful for a good sim to use alongside other ones I'm flying. I'll buy it if it's good.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hi,

So, I have been working long shifts since March for Amazon as a Delivery Driver. I'm like, I wonder how that tricky solution for Ooms is coming along...

Ha. Has Stereoscopic capabilities been concluded or I'm I just stuck with FSX steam for another 10 years.

Not that I mind cause I just about melted my credit card on scenery a year past last November.

A lonely pilot, to stupid and illiterate to pass the GA.   

XP11 is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, yes.

On the other hand, since DTG hasn't shown anything since Flight School, we have no idea what progress they've made since then. I'm holding out hope for a good addition to the civilian FS market, because I think LM and Laminar need the competition to light a fire under them. Then maybe we'd get a 64-bit P3D and seasons/better weather in X-Plane.

Even with old FSX code, today's typical user computer is so powerful that there has to be some slack for running inefficient code and work-arounds to give people the flight experience they want. The move to 64-bit alone should free up room for things like pre-loading scenery so there is high texture detail, no pop-in, and good detail to the horizon. We didn't see that in Flight School, but maybe they were just getting their feet wet with the code base.

For example, the new XP11 recommended specs are "16-24 GB RAM or more." That means it now includes the distant terrain loading feature as default (extended DSF). That was an option in XP10 and they now just include it, because they assume users will have more than 8 gigs of RAM. If DTG takes the same approach, they should be able to do some great things with the address space. 

So I'm remaining hopeful for a good sim to use alongside other ones I'm flying. I'll buy it if it's good.

Interesting about X-Plane. It's a great looking sim. It's far from perfect, still suffers for me from content issues, bad weather effects, day time rendering, seasonal textures, uneven quality - but they are definately getting better. Somehow top notch scenery for FSX and Prepared still looks a ton better, I can't put my finger on why - probably the depth and bredth of add-ons available on that platform is just higher quality - that has to change right? Also worrying that Orbx pulled out of creating scenery. So that Gorilla is nothing more right now that a mishivous Monkey albeit a cute one!

I have to say though. As for Dovetails capability with Graphics. In my opinion TSW looks the equal if not better than X-Plane 11. I'm kind of hoping the delay is because they realise now that they do need to change the engine over to UE4 as despite the changes to Flight School it'll be too much effort to "modernize" it to todays' standards.

I'm still hopeful for Dovetail Flight Simulator. I don't mind if the scope of this sim is limited in the first release but I think they need to show a departure from FSX more than they did for Flight School and I think Train Simulator -> TSW is the perfect example. 

• Upvote 1

Well said dtrjones!  I also think DTG needs to depart from using the old FSX code and agree that TSW looks better than XP11.  Am unsure how the UE4 engine would do in a flight sim.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Someone asked DTG why not use UE4, and they said it wasn't suitable for flight simulation, so they chose FSX's engine and are heavily modifying it. 

Someone asked DTG why not use UE4, and they said it wasn't suitable for flight simulation, so they chose FSX's engine and are heavily modifying it. 

I also read it somewhere, I think on STEAM. I am really curious about what they exactly modify.

The engine is limited; the only thing to modify it is to rewrite the whole code.... That would be almost a new engine then...

The engine is limited; the only thing to modify it is to rewrite the whole code.... That would be almost a new engine then...

How do you know the FSX engine is limited if you haven't seen the source code?

Just to clear things up the plan has not changed. We still developing using the FSX engine as the core. There are no plans to switch to UE4 or any other engine, 

- Martin 

On 28/02/2017 at 2:30 PM, DTG Martin said:

Just to clear things up the plan has not changed. We still developing using the FSX engine as the core. There are no plans to switch to UE4 or any other engine, 

- Martin 

Yikes

On 28/2/2017 at 3:30 PM, DTG Martin said:

- Martin 

11 years old software? good luck...

Guess we will have to wait and see what DTG have done with the old FSX core.  Maybe they will surprise us, but seems unlikely to me. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Well, they did get FSX-SE to run better than the boxed version of FSX and Flight School also runs better than FSX too (and that is clearly based on FSX), and that was with comparatively little effort with regard to 'having at' the core of FS, so you never know. If they can find a way to tackle the OOM issues and get it to use the GPU more, then it would be worth the effort to do so because of the amount of stuff which could (presumably) be fairly easily ported over to their new sim, given that it is using the same core methods of simulating stuff

I've personally got quite a lot of confidence in them pulling that off actually. To paraphrase their own words on the matter: they are not a games company which 'decided to have a crack at doing a flight sim', sims are where their experience is and they are touted as 'one of the companies to watch' in several business publications. Of course it is dependent on them delivering the goods, but there is no denying that they genuinely want to do that, and desire is an important factor in finding ways to get things done. Necessity is, has and always will be the mother of invntion, so don't put it past them to pull it off.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just let us know when previews and eyecandy comes out.  Using steam fsx, but my I5 died recently and got I7 with 1060 gb hope be good replacement for fsx

There has been a post on the steam forums from DTG stating that they are indeed working on 64bit fs platform we will have to wait and see.

ray fry 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg