Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

DTG Flight Simulator News Thread [Officia]

Thought I could feel my ears burning, hopefully you're all having a good weekend.

As Aimee previously stated, there tend to be certain elements outside of our control and we really appreciate your understanding. We're also aware of the frustration delays can cause and there's no one more eager to share more about our upcoming product with you than us. 

That said, I appreciate your enthusiasm and your feedback. It gives us a stepping stone to open clearer lines of communication with you. 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

One would hope that DTG will not be put off by a few tantrums from people who seem to imagine it is their right to be kept informed of the every waking movement of anyone who dares to make anything for a flight simulator lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

53 minutes ago, Chock said:

One would hope that DTG will not be put off by a few tantrums from people who seem to imagine it is their right to be kept informed of the every waking movement of anyone who dares to make anything for a flight simulator lol.

maybe dtg can stop promise and deliver nothing

than the few tantrums might go to rest

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

maybe dtg can stop promise and deliver nothing

than the few tantrums might go to rest

DTG didn't 'promise' you, me or anyone else anything in relation to any set in stone deadline, moreover, it is completely untrue to say they 'deliver nothing' since they quite evidently released CS Heavy Haul a matter of weeks ago. But, back on the subject of their flight sim development and what exactly they have and have not said...

Here is one of their exact announcements regarding their flight simulator development. (this dates from November 23rd, 2016):

'Earlier this year, we announced the development of our new flight simulator, which generated an incredible amount of excitement in the community. We would like to thank you all for the tremendous amount of interest and support we have received so far. Based on your feedback, we have been focusing on three key areas: visuals, performance and experience, all of which are instrumental to the hobby. In order to further enhance these areas, we have made the decision to postpone the release of this project. In the meantime, we expect to have a detailed development update for you in the New Year. As a team, we are incredibly excited to share what we have been up to! Until then, we hope you have a fantastic holiday season and look forward to making 2017 a great year for flight simulation.'

Does it say that anywhere in that statement that they promise you, me or anyone else they will definitely announce something? No, it does not, merely that they are responding to what people have expressed a desire for and that has caused a delay, but that they: 'expect to have a development update in the New Year'. Which indeed they did deliver...

The following dates from early this year:

'We reviewed the project as Christmas approached, and decided that this was not the direction we wanted to take the sim in at that time. We didn't want a mass of data. What we wanted was detailed feedback and opinion from aviation experts, third party developers, and experienced flight simmers. We felt that a much more personal approach was needed. We didn't want to ask people to fill in a questionnaire, vote in a poll, or tick a box. We wanted to sit down face to face with people or speak to them over the phone. We wanted to have a personal conversation them. That is what we have been doing for the last few months. Running small feedback groups with third party partners and members of the flight sim community to find out what they think. We are now looking to expand this a wider selection of people.'

Follwing this, they did also state they hoped to have something for us news-wise roundabout right now (i.e. the end of the first quarter of 2017). And they have also delivered on that statement too, in stating just the other day, in response to a post asking about that on this very thread, that they were sorry but things have been held up a little bit. Disappointing yes, but it happens, especially when a company doesn't want to rush something out the door.

Thus, claiming they don't tell us anything and don't deliver (not that they are under any obligation to do so anyway) is not only incorrect, but also not exactly helping the situation either, since we would hope they'd want to continue communicating with us all, but frankly I wouldn't blame them if they didn't bother to talk to us when I see some of the comments leveled at them on this and other threads and forums, but it's to their credit that they continue to do so in the face of that.

So why not encourage them and show that we support their efforts to keep flight simming alive and drag it into the 64 Bit era? I'd love to see it released tomorrow just as much as anyone, but I, and presumably everyone else, would like it to be right and not rushed out the door.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

If you're the kid that keeps all the toys to yourself, don't be surprised when no one wants to play with you.

In the meantime, we expect to have a detailed development update for you in the New Year.

note the word 'Detailed' 

from the dictionary this is what the word 'Detailed' mean:

'having many details or facts; showing attention to detail'

not that i worry; does not change anybody life; but  the way Dtg communicate has never been anything i would call straight forward to really put on black and white what are working on. This new sim after 2 or 3 years and thousands of forums posts / discussions still is vapour software - even so 'Detailed' updated informations where expected to be released ages ago.

If this is what detailed mean for them; than the simulator will sure be a basic simulator.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chock said:

So why not encourage them and show that we support their efforts to keep flight simming alive and drag it into the 64 Bit era?

Waitamminit.... so flight simming still needs to be dragged into the 64 bit era?

Gee, I could have sworn there were one or two flight sims already working in that mode. :biggrin:

Anyway, I wish DTG success because I'm always interested in new flight sims to try out. They already proved with Flight School that they have FSX code working in 64 bits, which solves the OOM problem. What they still need to demonstrate, is that they can use the new RAM capacity to eliminate the blurry textures, poor horizon LOD, and scenery pop-in that we saw in Flight School.

That's why I'm not very interested in seeing teaser screen shot images of the new sim. We'll need to see how the new scenery system works in action, either with a demo (ideally) or at least with some video clips that show these core issues have been dealt with. In my view, everything else like the number and type of aircraft, scenery add-ons, etc. is less important for a new sim. The rest can come later, if the foundation is good. And they should take as much time as they need to get it right.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, arsenal82 said:

In the meantime, we expect to have a detailed development update for you in the New Year.

note the word 'Detailed' 

from the dictionary this is what the word 'Detailed' mean:

'having many details or facts; showing attention to detail'

Note too the word expect, let's also look that one up shall we?

'Expect: To look forward to the probable occurrence or appearance of'

Aah, so since we've got the dictionary out, let's look up probable.

'Probable: Likely, but uncertain'

So, in other words, an uncertain appearance of details or facts. Well that doesn't sound much like a promise to me. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Im getting the sense that this so called announcement delay is more about licensing deals getting closed rather than the sim itself but until those license contracts are finalized, no details about the sim can be released. Putting those aside, and talking about the sim , showing it off and getting feedback can only be a good thing. If there is constructive feedback, positive and negative, they can adjust as needed before beta or RC. Have to agree with a few other posts. They will have one time to get this right because everyone knows this is a very hard bunch to please that is highly critical. 

I wish them all the best and look forward to it when the time comes. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I "expect" to get a paycheck from work this Thursday...I just hope my boss doesn't have a dictionary near the desk where he signs the paychecks... :-D and I expect the sun to rise tomorrow am...but again, who knows...

Oh, BTW everyone:

Happy April Fool's Day everyone.

DTG should put out a "prank" PR stating their new flight sim will include everything that all of us want in a new flight sim. Too soon?

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

"Our new flight sim will be available before Christmas, and just like DTG Flight School it will include the whole world unlocked and fully playable from the start. There are absolutely no plans of "chopping the sim up into many fat, pricey sections". We know how important free flight is to simmers!"

Quote from Martin, Steam forum...13 September 2016.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

What would be interesting to know, is whom they've been consulting, although they probably won't be able to elaborate on that. One suspects it would be most of the major developers of stuff for FS and X-Plane, or at least that's what I'd do if I was knocking out a new flight sim, in order to determine what they'd want to see in terms of an SDK and to learn of anything that annoys them about developing for other platforms so I might avoid replicating that.

Based on reading between the lines of a post from Just Flight the other day, where they said they'd be working on some new platforms soon, I surmised they were one of those developers who'd been contacted, although I will admit that was just an educated guess and could equally have referred to AeroFly 2, since they did make commrcial add-ons for AeroFly 1.

It's fairly obvious that a major part of the success of any flight sim is the ability to expand it with utilities, scenery and add on functions and aeroplanes, so that ought to be a big concern and would probably also streamline development, but might also delay it to get all that working flawlessly. There is little point in developing a half assed stab at a default airliner for it if you know a developer is going to be making their much better one work on your new sim platform, and the same would go for weather, ATC add-ons etc.

But I guess it's all a case of wait and see.

Alan Bradbury

18 minutes ago, Chock said:

What would be interesting to know, is whom they've been consulting,

Well they did show up at FSDeveloper for a while, and the developers replied in detail, but...... The thread never really felt like a two way conversation, I thought.

Puzzled me a bit, at the time. I presume/hope a whole lot more has been going on behind the scenes.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

58 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

Have to agree with a few other posts. They will have one time to get this right because everyone knows this is a very hard bunch to please that is highly critical. 

I think "highly critical" might be overstating it a bit, and that includes the supposedly harsh reaction here to DTG Flight School.

It's more a question of setting standards and expectations based on what's already available, and what we have available now is pretty darned good. It's getting better all the time, at least with certain products. We should expect that, if we're asked to continue spending our hard-earned money on flight sims. I don't think that makes us highly critical. We have high standards, because those standards are now the market norm.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

No I do not think it is a lot moans about nothing and I do have sympathy for the developers but the fact is DTG made the statement about their new Flight simulator, I know the saying ''No news is good news'' but surely some sort of statement of intent and information is useful. I am wondering whether to upgrade my PC? Buy anymore add ons for FSX Steam? How different, after Flight School will it be? Will all our hangers fit in with the new Flight sim. The moans about Flight school were people who didn't read the underlined statement it was only a very basic sim which was pretty good for the price. I am sure DTG are all working very hard and want to bring out a really good flight sim. I am a grey haired simmer but also in a past life had a lot to do with software development which had to be right and updates provided. I have tried the Xplane 11 demo and it is pretty good. Information is the key and surely by now DTG must have some idea of what it looks like. Just my points but I would say to DTG keep it going but please give us some idea. Thank you.

Edited by n4gix
Remove quote box!