Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Would upgrading from Win 7 -> Win 10 make P3D run better?

I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 for the future of gaming because of DirectX 12, and also X-Box games will be also be able to run on Windows 10 as well.

But as far as flight simming goes, will I get better performance running flight sims such as P3D and X-Plane 10 in Windows 10 vs Windows 7? Is it worth it? Will I lose any functionality going to Windows 10?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I was in your shoes and I can honestly say that I saw no real performance difference going from Win7Ult to Win10.  I was able to get Win10Pro last year and after installing everything I had before, including all my sim content, plus running it, everything seemed the same.  You may be future-proofing your system by upgrading (plus it's still free to upgrade rather than shelling out $120 later) but as far as better performance, I believe that is left to the application and not the OS.  P3D v3 runs very well these days but I couldn't attribute that to Windows 10, that honor goes to the those who work on the application.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Same here: No difference at all, at least non I could detect, neither better nor worse.

I was in hope to benefit from DX12 quickly if developers would add it at least as an option, but reality told me otherwise. 

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm running Win 10 Pro and the experience is at least as good as on the Windows 7 I upgraded from.   Do a clean install and and you will wonder why you waited.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Short and clear answer - no. 

+1

I was in your shoes and I can honestly say that I saw no real performance difference going from Win7Ult to Win10.  I was able to get Win10Pro last year and after installing everything I had before, including all my sim content, plus running it, everything seemed the same.  You may be future-proofing your system by upgrading (plus it's still free to upgrade rather than shelling out $120 later) but as far as better performance, I believe that is left to the application and not the OS.  P3D v3 runs very well these days but I couldn't attribute that to Windows 10, that honor goes to the those who work on the application.

With all the enterprise customers running windows 7, it will most likely be around longer than your present computer. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

+1

With all the enterprise customers running windows 7, it will most likely be around longer than your present computer. 

Was the reply to the quote you made from me, directed to me?  Not sure how to respond.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Was the reply to the quote you made from me, directed to me?  Not sure how to respond.

Look carefully at my post. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Look carefully at my post. 

If I look any more careful, I'll break the screen.  Sorry, not seeing it....moving on.

If I look any more careful, I'll break the screen.  Sorry, not seeing it....moving on.

OK, in your comment you mentioned "future proofing your system"  My reply stated that with all the enterprise users ( businesses) using Windows 7, Windows 7 will most likely be around for longer that someone's computer will be. Right now, Windows 10 only has a market share of 19%, versus around 50% for Windows 7. Windows 10 isn't exactly setting the world on fire, especially when you consider it is free ( for now). Many suspect that once people have installed W 10 it won't be very long before MS rolls out a subscription fee for updating W10 ( just like they have done for Office) , since they plan to keep W 10 forever. There will be no Windows 11. 

Conspiracy theories aside, in the computing world, it's all about progress.  Didn't we just go through all of this when MS decided to end all support for XP?  If you read the trades, you'll see the word "fragmentation" come up in discussion.  I can wholeheartedly agree that fragmentation is causing problems for software developers because they have to staff people to help fix issues users have with older (legacy) products.  For devs to save time and money, they want to close that gap.

As far as businesses using Enterprise, my company is not one of them, and it's part of a huge global construction conglomerate.  Don't forget about Apple and Linux too, but we aren't here to debate numbers.  The OP just wanted to know if there was any performance benefit switching from 7 to 10.  To clarify my original statement about that, while there isn't any appreciable difference, it isn't to the negative, meaning that 10 doesn't make things worse.

But as far as flight simming goes, will I get better performance running flight sims such as P3D and X-Plane 10 in Windows 10 vs Windows 7?

No - there is no noticeable difference in performance between Win7 and Win10 as it relates to flight simulations. I've noticed some slight efficiencies in overall desktop performance with Win10 vs. Win7, which may be attributable to the new UI, some or other under-the-hood improvements, but nothing on its own which would be compelling to switch.

Is it worth it?

If you are concerned about someday "needing" to move to Win10 and missing out on the free upgrade period, then from a financial perspective it probably is worth it.

Will I lose any functionality going to Windows 10?

From a flight simulation perspective, there are a select few old addons which may not function properly under Win10, but most of them are also limited to FSX. If you're flying P3D, I'd say the vast vast majority of your addons will be functionally fine. Still, if you have older addons you consider essential that you've shoehorned into P3D somehow, you may wish to do some personal research on various forums for reports of other users successes or failures.

Ultimately, there will be a crowd which follows the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" philosophy, and this is 100% fine. If your Win7 install is humming along nice, there probably isn't a compelling reason to make the switch. But as you note, the eventual rollout of DX12 capable titles and the X-Box tie-ins are of interest to you and those can be compelling personal reasons to make the switch if you so choose.

P3D and X-Plane both work well under Windows 10 - no better and no worse than Windows 7. Go for it!

(*Like Harold_Finch mentioned, a full clean install is a nice step to take as well - look up the system Windows 10 reset features to see how you can do it if you decide to go that route.)

-Greg

Conspiracy theories aside, in the computing world, it's all about progress.  Didn't we just go through all of this when MS decided to end all support for XP?  If you read the trades, you'll see the word "fragmentation" come up in discussion.  I can wholeheartedly agree that fragmentation is causing problems for software developers because they have to staff people to help fix issues users have with older (legacy) products.  For devs to save time and money, they want to close that gap.

As far as businesses using Enterprise, my company is not one of them, and it's part of a huge global construction conglomerate.  Don't forget about Apple and Linux too, but we aren't here to debate numbers.  The OP just wanted to know if there was any performance benefit switching from 7 to 10.  To clarify my original statement about that, while there isn't any appreciable difference, it isn't to the negative, meaning that 10 doesn't make things worse.

Conspiracy theory you said.....http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-prices-windows-10-enterprise-subscription-at-84-per-user-per-year/

This is the first shoe dropping   

:wink:

Conspiracy theory you said.....http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-prices-windows-10-enterprise-subscription-at-84-per-user-per-year/

This is the first shoe dropping   

:wink:

ZDNet?  Taken with a grain of salt....

• Upvote 1

ZDNet?  Taken with a grain of salt....

Oh Please!!! The article is by Mary Joe Foley, and I'm betting you have no idea who she is....