Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

ASCA Themes / REX Comparison Shots

Took these last night to compare all the stock ASCA themes, with a couple of comparisons of REX textures mixed in.

Ariel.jpg

Armageddon.jpg

Departure.jpg

Discovery.jpg

Exultant.jpg

Full%20Dynamic.jpg

Refreshing.jpg

Tempest.jpg

Venture.jpg

Voyage.jpg

And here's the same scene with REX Soft Clouds (texture theme generated based on local weather):

AS16REXnoASCA.jpg

Finally, this with AS16 + REX Cumulus texture:

Global%20Auto%20REX%20Cumulus.jpg

And this after loading the ASCA textures:

Global%20Auto%20ASCA%20Textures.jpg

• Upvote 1

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Seems like AS16+REX is the best to my eye.  Thanks for putting all this together!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks for all the work compiling these screenshots. I spent about 2 hours doing very similar testing of the ASCA themes, ASN, and Rex SoftClouds. The cloud textures between the various ASCA themes vary a good bit and some of the themes (Armageddon, in particular) generated a very high rate of texture repetitions with cloud shapes duplicated in a very obvious fashion.  In many cases, I preferred the deeper shadows on the ASCA textures compared to (definitely) SoftClouds.

I confess going back to SoftCloud textures and uninstalling ASCA because of the really large number of texture repeats and the "popcorn" cloud effects in P3D. SoftClouds and PTA got rid of almost all the "popcorn" for me but ASCA seemed to bring them back.

Loving ASN and waiting for a good comparison between Rex Weather Force (when available) and AS16 before switching weather engines. That said, ASCA seems like a generation 1 product with more potential than polish at this time.

In my eyes clouds in every shot looks pretty awful, except in the AS16 + REX Soft Clouds shot. Can't explain exactly what is odd, but visually is miles behind ASN + REX. Looks like popcorn.

• Upvote 8

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Use to use ASN and Rex soft clouds. Now its AS16 and ASCA. Like it so much more

Richie Walsh

Thank-You basementflyguy, for doing these comparison shots. This makes the decision a bit easier.  I am not a huge fan of rex textures, but in this case they are a little better than the competition. I'll keep my wallet in my pocket for a little while longer.

Jazz

Thanks for the comparison shots.

I have REX4 + soft clouds as my texture sets and I just use REX Essentials (fly now feature) as the weather engine.

I find they work great together, I find the clouds choices, themes I have chosen to be very good.  I just can't see spending any more money to try something else at this stage.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thank you for the comparison shots. I like AS16 a lot. A big improvement over ASN in my opinion. I do like the AS16 and REX the best.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

I try not to be negative but to me those ASCA shots are dreadful. 

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

In my eyes clouds in every shot looks pretty awful, except in the AS16 + REX Soft Clouds shot. Can't explain exactly what is odd, but visually is miles behind ASN + REX. Looks like popcorn.

I agree,

All those shots look terrible to me. I use FEX textures which to my eye look much more realistic.

But hey, it's all subjective isn't it?.... Like all art.......

Stu

• Upvote 2

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I'm really happy in not buying ASCA when I see those shots and several videos.

The ASCA stuff is looking way to unrealistic, like a painting. For Picasso it would be a pleasure to see those pics but come on guys, that has absolutely nothing to do with the real world......

• Upvote 2

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I agree,

All those shots look terrible to me. I use FEX textures which to my eye look much more realistic.

But hey, it's all subjective isn't it?.... Like all art.......

Stu

Yes, thanks for those shots, BasementFlyGy, but they all look bad to me too. ASCA as well as REX really hurts my eyes. I am certainly staying with HDEv2 now!!!!!! Saves me money too. But it's great to have all those options! 

Point is: For dynamic changes and reloads, you DO need ASCA. You can use REX through ASCA (just don't untick sky textures in the global automatic theme), but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

• Upvote 1

but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

Hm, AS16 without ASCA is an improved weather engine that does all it can do on its own without the need for ASCA. I rather have good skies than crappy or cartoonish or odd colored looking dynamic skies. As long as the weather itself is dynamic, I am fine. (I am reading reports about how great ASCA is and all they actually are reporting is how great AS16 is... Some seem to think ASN or other weather engines didn't offer dynamic weather...)