Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

ASCA Themes / REX Comparison Shots

Hi guys!

Honestly it seems absurd that today, despite years of development, they have not yet been able to create more realistic texture, and all the images that are shown both on REX and HIFi Sim websites concern only certain types of clouds. So, why they are not able to increase the quality of all types of clouds? These shots are very unrealistic... someone should watch the sky sometimes :-)

Bye, Max

• Upvote 4

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot

Hm, AS16 without ASCA is an improved weather engine that does all it can do on its own without the need for ASCA. I rather have good skies than crappy or cartoonish or odd colored looking dynamic skies. As long as the weather itself is dynamic, I am fine. (I am reading reports about how great ASCA is and all they actually are reporting is how great AS16 is... Some seem to think ASN or other weather engines didn't offer dynamic weather...)

That's simply not true. Yes, AS 16 is an improvement over ASN, but the real magic happens ONLY in combination with ASCA, which is able to inject textures based on the current weather during the flight. If you start under nice weather with some clouds and fly into some rain, ASCA will allow AS16 to exchange the cloud sets and the sky colours smoothly. You can, as I said, use REX clouds with AS16 and ASCA, but without ASCA it's just one texture set for the whole flight. And being able to use different sets makes a HUGE difference. Something you have to see yourself. No pics and no video can do this justice.

• Upvote 1

I am certainly staying with HDEv2 now!!!!!!

And they'd look no better in those scenarios shown with that level of FOV. Those screens show just how bad the current weather system can be in P3D when the textures, no matter how good or bad, get placed over lots of tiny structures, which is mainly when cumulus layers are placed at high altitudes. I'm hoping REX are really going to manage a proper redesign of the structure primitives and a weather engine that will organize them properly.

As16 and Rex soft clouds hands down

Asca doesn't even come close.

Looking forward to what sky force will bring!!

Cheers

Mike

• Upvote 1

In my eyes the REX clouds are too dark...

In reality when flying above the clouds they are very white in the sunshine.

I already had a custom cumulus texture when using REX TD/Softclouds.

Now with ASCA I do not need that anymore.

The most important is that everybody can choose what they think is the best.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

In fairness to the HiFi guys, the particular mix of textures has a lot to do with it. After taking those screen caps I took some others with a diffeerent texture load, and different sky scape, that when flying through felt much more realistic. I'll try to post those here tonight. But I also posted some shots in the "Released!" thread that for me looked great. Rather than repost them you can see them here:

http://www.ontheglideslope.net/2016/07/11/as16asca-pics-im-pleasantly-surprised/

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

That's simply not true.

I think you meant to say something like 'I disagree'  :wink: because what I said is part fact and hence true and part opinion and hence also (subjective but) true.  :wink: What you call 'the real magic' has to do with ASCA and not AS16. I was mainly trying to say that AS16 on its own is a great addon and certainly not a one frame movie. I at least don't feel like I have been watching a one frame movie the last decade with previous HiFi weather engines and AS16 is even better. Calling AS16 without ASCA a one frame movie isn't doing justice (to put it mildly) to the addon at all.

Point is: For dynamic changes and reloads, you DO need ASCA. You can use REX through ASCA (just don't untick sky textures in the global automatic theme), but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

Also called a "photo" :)

It's official... It's Cloud war !

:aggressive:

Happy (cloudy) flying,

• Upvote 1

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I love that :)

Your soft clouds look kinda weird, very defined, don't blend very well? Mine seem to look much more natural, here's a shot I took last night with AS16 + Soft Clouds

93TomQC.jpg

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

This is nothing!. I was around for the first great cloud war at Flightsimworld between FEX and REX. It was a bitter fight, and lives (well, forum accounts) were lost. :vava:

It was a bitter fight, and lives (well, forum accounts) were lost.

Gotta love us geeks. 

This is my first ever experience with ASCA using real world weather at KNTU and ASN as the engine. I subsequently saved this weather and flight for the continued testing I did. This is the "Armageddon" ASCA theme.

asca1.jpg

asca2.jpg