Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Which to buy Meridian or Pilatus PC-12

Guest Dreamflyer

I was looking for advice from people who already own these aircraft. Which of these is more fun to fly. I am looking to step up from the standard aircraft to a faster single engine. I love playing with the instruments and also love bush flying but I can't figure out which one to spend the money on. Any assitance is appreciated.Dreamflyer

While I don't own the PC-12,(will get it eventually) I do own the Meridian,and man what fantastic plane to fly! The gauges are awesome and very clear; a joy to handfly. Plus it has a built in RXP Garmin 530 GPS. You will need to disable HT technology if you have a P4 that supports those features.

I say PC-12! However, I do own both and there are very fantastic aircraft. You won't be disapointed in what ever you choose, in my opinion. I know I wasn't.Kevin

Hey Dreamflyer, I own both as well. The PC12 has more advanced texture technics applied, Interior tetures, glass reflections in VC etc... being the meridian was designed some time ago. The meridian panel in both 2d and VC are incredible. The Avionics package in the meridian is simply AMAZING, which make up for the lack of the latest texturing technics.The meridian panel in both 2d and VC are up to todays standards. They are indeed two different animals in the flight dynamics department. I love the way the meridian feels. It is like not any other aircraft I have ever flown. You will fully understand what I mean when you cross the threshold! On climb out however, the plane likes to climb, so down trim is needed. The PC12 feels different, but still a great AC, with more simple avionics IMHO. The bottom line is, if you can get both, do it! You won't go wrong. Enjoy! Best regards, Jeff

Hi,I have them both and they are both very nice.But if I had to choose, I would go for the PC12 since it has been released not a long time ago.Also it is a bit more versatile (cargo liveries etc)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

First, I own the Meridian but not the PC-12. The meridian is wonderful in the gauges and panel. The whole set of gauges are done by reality-XP not only the GPS. They are unbelievably smooth, complex and complete. For me, the meridian is all about it's panel (dynamics too, it flies nicely). It is my one and only advanced GPS GA plane. But it's 3D model is not the top notch at all.I don't know about the PC-12. As I said I don't own it and I don't plan to. I really don't have specific comments about it.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest Tomlin

Well, I have the PC-12 and I say go for it. It is a great aircraft and tons of fun. Not to mention the durability of it for landing in rough areas and being able to fly high. I like the sounds and the looks too. Personally dont use the VC, but it seems okay. I have used the PC-12 to land at Mystery Farm airport in the Flight Scenery FZ1 Rhode Island scenery and the plane handled great! I landed up-hill (it's a grass strip runway with trees all around) and the bumps made the landing tricky and fun. Guess you could do that with a Meridian, but the Pilatus is made for unimproved runways. May want to check out the video or preview of the PC-12 vid at http://www.flightvideoproductions.com/pilatus.htmI bought the $10 download version and it gives a good insight into the aircraft and the operation of it. Just an idea.Eric

Guest aca_dia

I have them both and have flown both for real. Each is very well done. I think you already answered your question. The PC12 is faster and can have more of a cargo/bush feel as well as being able to use impressively short strips. It has modern avionics and is also home on rough strips (ala much of bush flying). It seems that it would best fit what you are looking for. The Meridian though older is still a great add-on so you can

Guest jwhak1

>I have them both and have flown both for real. Each is very>well done. I think you already answered your question. The>PC12 is faster and can have more of a cargo/bush feel as well>as being able to use impressively short strips. It has modern>avionics and is also home on rough strips (ala much of bush>flying). It seems that it would best fit what you are looking>for. The Meridian though older is still a great add-on so you>can

I flew an approach into KHIO Portland Hillsboro visual runway 30 at 70 KIAS. Rock stable, very forgiving I couldn't believe we were really going that slow. Our ground roll was about what a Cessna 206 would be and if we'd kicked in reverse thrust it would have been even less. Very impressive aircraft indeed, I can think of very few aircraft that operate over such a wide envelope of speeds.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest aca_dia

>Question in real world can the PC-12 really come in as slow as she does full flaps like the sim?You bet. I am no PC-12 master, but the full flaps approach speed is only about 70kts, which is only slightly faster than a Cessna 172. Even without thrust reverse it has an impressively short landing roll. I think the short field departure ability is even more impressive. All that capability and it is still able to cruise up around 270kts in comfort! If I were loaded I would have one. If only.Maybe someone here will have access to the PC-12 performance data and can post some real numbers.

Guest EasyEd

Hey All,If your looking for a single engine turboprop there's at least a few others to consider.FSD Pilatus Porter not fast (around 135 kt IIRC) but a better bush plane than the PC12 or Meridian ever thought of being.Wait like I am for the freeware? faster than either the PC12 or Meridian Socata TBM-700 being put together by the French? team. Guys if your out there how much longer are you going to keep us waiting??????????Then there is the turboprop Feelthere Caravan also to consider.Take Care! -Ed-

Guest Dreamflyer

Thank you to everyone who has provided some insight. Which of the planes has a more authentic GPS system? After everyone's discussion I admit I am leaning towards the PC-12. I really would like to try some of the Realty-XP GPS systems. Can these be added to the PC-12?I got a chance to see a PC-12 in real life at Saratoga this year. She was beautiful even with all the fancy business jets hanging around. Saratoga County Airport is a great place for plane spotting during the racing season.

>Which of the planes has a more authentic GPS system?Without a doubt the Meridian. The GNS530 is based on the real Garmin trainer software and is a 100% copy of the real thing. Keep in mind that the GNS530 of the Meridian is bound to the Meridian only (i.e. it cannot be used in another aircraft)So if you would like to have the GNS530 or 430 in the PC12 (or any other aircraft) you should buy either the RXP530 or RXP430.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I would agree that today, it would make more sense to buy the PC-12, even though the Meridian is possibly the best GA flight sim add-on ever produced.If you like the RXP Garmin GPS, I would add the 430. It fits perfectly in the panel , see attached screenshot...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131232.jpg

Bert