Sign in to follow this  
captain420

overclocking from 4.5GHz to 4.7GHz

I have an i7-3770k current OC at 4.5GHz, I was going to try and see if I can get it up to 4.7GHz. Do you think I would get a noticeable improvement in P3D/X-Plane?

Core voltage is around 1.256v. I have 16GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz. Multiplier set to 45, bus speed at 100mhz. Thinking about changing the multiplier to 47 and maybe increasing the core voltage to 1.3v.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You can answer this question easily yourself: 4.7GHz vs. 4.5GHz is an increase in clock speed of about 4.5%. IF, and only IF this would translate directly into FPS in FSX/P3D, you would gain 4.5% in FPS, meaning in a situation where you now have 20FPS, you would get: 20.9FPS, not even a single FPS more. Does this answer your question? For the probability of gaining a single FPS, you would have an increased risk of an unstable OC and a lot more heat to get rid of due to the increased core voltage. Short: I would not risk this.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Would agree with the above. Overclocking is linear, providing that your system is currently well balanced. In which case you frame rate increase would be very small.

This is one of the reasons why it baffles me when some ill informed individuals beat themselves up and panic if they have trouble gaining the few hundred megahertz that some of their mates get.

However, if your system isn't well balanced and your CPU is currently a bottleneck, frame rate increase could be higher.

For such a small increase in overclock, you would be pretty much doing it for fun, for the challenge, not for any substantial increase in performance.

No, if you raise the clock speed of your processor 4.5%, it is absolutely impossible that you get more than 4.5% more FPS. How could that be? I agree, if you overclock from 3.5GHz to 4.5GHz, which is a solid 28% more, it can be that you only get 5% more FPS on a not well balanced system but almost those 28% more FPS on a well balanced system.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

No, if you raise the clock speed of your processor 4.5%, it is absolutely impossible that you get more than 4.5% more FPS. How could that be? I agree, if you overclock from 3.5GHz to 4.5GHz, which is a solid 28% more, it can be that you only get 5% more FPS on a not well balanced system but almost those 28% more FPS on a well balanced system.

Yeah, you can't just produce more performance out of thin air. 4.5% higher CPU clock equals 4.5% higher performance at most, under ideal circumstances, with no other bottlenecks. Of course, if you also overclock the memory, uncore etc., then the gain would be higher. This was common in the old days when CPUs were overclocked using the front-side bus clock, which affected every component attached to it, but these days you tend to just increase the CPU multiplier.

If you can get to 4.7 GHz stable, without any drastic increases of voltage or temperature, then why not? It's free performance. But if it causes stability issues or proves hard to achieve without a significant voltage bump, then it's not worth it for about 1 FPS gained.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Go from 4.5 to 4.6 and test it out and then go to 4.7.... until it becomes unstable and then back off .1 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter