Sign in to follow this  
Gunbjo

Deleting the installshield folder

As I didn't get any answer on my last question I try once more. My DVD stops after a while and doesn't even succeed in starting the Installshield program. I guess the program spare the IS in the Installshield folder on the HD so I would like to know for sure that there is no problem deleting the folder. The IS files are in GUID code so it's impossible to know which one is the FSX IS file and that's why I've got to delete the folder assuming the folder will be created again. And I think the IS file on the HD has become corruped and the program is choosing it instead of the one on the DVD.

Hoping for help

Gunbjo

Please do not continue to post the same topic.  I removed the first one you posted.  Sometimes it takes some time for someone to post a response to a question.  In many cases, the information you seek is unknown and there will be no responses.

If you are trying to reinstall FSX, you have to make sure you have removed all remnants of a previous installation.  There are hidden folders and, if they are not removed, your DVD installer will balk at installing FSX and will usually give you the option to repair or remove FSX.  You should also run a registry cleaner like CCleaner after uninstalling the product.  I recommend following the instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling FSX at the following link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx.  Once a product is installed, the Install Shield sets up a folder with information that can be used to uninstall the program through the Add/Remove Program.  If that file is removed, the uninstall will most likely be unsuccessful and you will have to do it manually. 

There is only one location of the installation files for FSX and that's on the DVD.  Installation programs do not put the files into any type of "InstallShield" folder.  An installation program may place the files in a temporary folder first (C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Temp)  but will remove those files once the installation is completed.  This does not happen all of the time and I periodically delete everything in this local temporary folder as the files take up a lot of space if not removed by Windows (Windows OS does a lousy job sometimes).

Hope this helps and thanks for your recent membership!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you very much for the fast answer.  Now I learned something more about these "Install shield" files. Otherwise I have done the things you are recommending.

I have both CCleaner (free) and Revo Uninstaller so I think I have managed to get rid of all the FSX files.

Is it important to uninstall GEX add-ons,  Instant Scenery and Instant Object also?? At least  the GEX files and Instant Object are put in folders outside FSX, but you can start IS and IO inside SMX . The more I think about this the more I'm sure I have to uninstall even these add-ons except the GEX files that can be inactivated.

And I have the Uninstall - Reinstall manual too. So tomorrow it's a lot to do.

Thanks again

Gunbjo

Is it important to uninstall GEX add-ons, Instant Scenery and Instant Object also?? At least the GEX files and Instant Object are put in folders outside FSX, but you can start IS and IO inside SMX . The more I think about this the more I'm sure I have to uninstall even these add-ons except the GEX files that can be inactivated.

It is not important to uninstall GEX.  GEX replaces the default textures in FSX as they are more optimized for better performance.  So, when you remove FSX, so goes GEX.  You do not need to uninstall the others but I would recommend it.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Nothing seems to help, because I get this error message: 1628 after a while when it is trying to start the InstallShield wizard. It just means "Failed to complete installation". To me it seems as something has happened to the DVD now. Looking  at it, the DVD has very very few scratches, hardly anything to be honest. My problem started in Win7 and I'm not sure if it will help buying a new FSX but of course it isn't that expensive compared to all the add ons I've got. What do you think? Perhaps it may be worth trying and if it doesn't work in Win10 I can try to change back to win7.

Submit News to AVSIM

I could only delete the TEMP file but then it stopped almost at once. Unfortunately this manual must be intended for the older versions of WIN and there are a lot of processes running but nothing like IDriver.exe. MS is not making things easy by often changing the file names not to mention everything else in the interface. It seems not to be any process in Win10 called something with "driver" in it, neither anything with "installer"in it.

I could only delete the TEMP file but then it stopped almost at once. Unfortunately this manual must be intended for the older versions of WIN and there are a lot of processes running but nothing like IDriver.exe. MS is not making things easy by often changing the file names not to mention everything else in the interface. It seems not to be any process in Win10 called something with "driver" in it, neither anything with "installer"in it.

The possible fixes can be for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.  If you did not see idriver.exe in the processes running, that is probably good.

You did not indicate the OS you are using but now I assume you are using Windows 10.  The error 1628 is quite common and everyone who gets this error has problems finding out how to fix it.  Computers are strange.  No one has the same configurations.  You could have an anti-virus program running in the background and it is stopping the installation.  Or an anti-malware program like Microsoft Essentials.  Windows 10 has much more security in it than previous OS's as consumers have more and more instances of malware on their system and they want Microsoft to fix it.  So Microsoft did by adding much more security to fight the evil people who install malware on your computer.  This is why we recommend you disable any anti-virus or anti-malware programs before installing anything on your computer.  You know exactly where your DVD came from and you should know it has no malware or viruses on it.  You just do not want to go on the Internet with out your firewall turned on (it's on by default).  The firewall will block everything evil.

You also need to disable your UserAccessControls by typing in your Windows search bar "user access controls" and look up in the menu and click on "Change User Access Controls".  Pull the slider down to disable or where it says "Not Recommended".

Make sure anything in the temporary folder in your user profile is deleted.  I indicated the location of this folder in post #2 above.  Do not delete the Temp Folder, just everything inside of it.  If it balks on deleting anything, then skip deleting that file.

Make sure you have cleaned your registry by running CCleaner.  When you attempted to install FSX, the program probably made entries in the registry and in those hidden files.  There should be no fsx files in the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft folder or the ProgramData\Microsoft folder.  No fsx files (did I mention there should be no files or directories for FSX in these folders?).

Make sure there is no folder for fsx in C:\Program Files (x86).

Make sure Windows 10 is up-to-date.  In the Windows 10 search, type Windows Update and look up in the menu and click on Windows Update.  Once open, click on Windows update and make sure there are no new updates to be installed.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver10\ .  Right-click on idriver and select Properties and look under the compatibility tab and make sure Windows XP is not enabled (nothing should be enabled).

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files \InstallShield\Driver11\.  Right-click on idriver and select Properties and look under the compatibility tab and make sure Windows XP is not enabled (nothing should be enabled).

Go to the directory where your DVD is located and open up the directory for the contents on the DVD.  Right click on "Setup" or "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" and select "Run as Administrator".  Cross your fingers and hope the installation is successful this time. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Possibly some geriatric ramblings?

Once long ago my FSX DVD would not fire up the install routine. I was directed to try FreeCommander instead of the Win7 file handler. The DVD was manually opened from the install file on it.

For some unknown reason this stopped the DVD from "hanging". 

Apologies if this is a load of tripe as my FSX has been stable for many years and the horrors of reinstallation have been largely forgotten.

Your last manual solved the problem of starting the install. There were dublicates of the idriver in Driver10 but they weren't enabled.  It was the same in Driver11 but there was also a third idriverT and  that one was enabled for Winxp. But almost at the end again the install ends up by asking for one more dvd.(It would be the third one even if it doesn't mention a number). It was in that way it started earlier with error 1722, and again it seems to be stopped showing the word "License. I downloaded earlier the "Licensing System Reset Tool" and ran it but it didn't help. Should I try it again? I know I have to do the uninstall again but together with the Reset tool? Or is it something else I can do???

Should I try it again? I know I have to do the uninstall again but together with the Reset tool? Or is it something else I can do???

I really cannot offer any additional suggestions to fix your problem.  I have no idea what the License reset tool does.  Are you saying you have just two FSX DVD's and it's asking for a third one?  FSX Gold may have 3 DVD's not not just FSX Deluxe.  FSX Gold has Acceleration included.

Personally, if I had all of your issues, I would reformat my HDD or SSD, reinstall Windows and reinstall FSX.  I have done that many times in the past since I purchased FSX back in 2006.  Sometimes it is the only solution available.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks a lot for all your help Jim, that I Have appreciated very much, and thanks to you Dozybee. I am sorry I wasn't very clear. Yes I have all the three DVDs. It's just that when finished DVD2 it never ask for DVD acceleration. It is like an own app. with an own product key. I used Win7 when the issues started  and slowly it got worse, so finely I decided to change to Win10 hoping it would solve the issues. Earlier I got the error 1722 and looking in the Microsoft community they explain it as a general error message that states that a system level failure has occurred, mostly in the Setup program associated with registering fonts. The app resets .sldl files using DOS. "You are prompted for the license reset", they end the manual. I don't know if this issue, asking for a third DVD depends on if something is wrong on the HD or if it is the DVD. If it is the HD it wouldn't help buying a new FSX, I guess.

If all the information on the DVD always go in just one direction from DVD to HD and never the other way around the issue is always in the computer except if you scratch the DVD too much, am I right?

So the computer can't write on the DVD. 

Many thanks to all of you responding my questions.