Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

New ORBX library file released that fixes Migration issues with new Central version also released

Then set up SimStarter to load a profile for flying jetliners into LAX (or anywhere for that matter), or to set up night environment when you want to fly at night.  For the price, you can't beat it.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Then set up SimStarter to load a profile for flying jetliners into LAX (or anywhere for that matter), or to set up night environment when you want to fly at night.  For the price, you can't beat it.

Yes you could do all that but much simpler to just leave things as they are. Looked into all of this stuff a month ago and then came migrationgate. Will reconsider if Orbx comes up with some must have addon but considering what I already have can't imagine what that might be not even OLC NA as I already have UTX NA (& OLC NA part 1).  It would have to be something like a completely revamped Australia to bring it up to the standard of the rest of their stuff or maybe a YSCB that includes the new terminal.  The one in the current Orbx version of YSCB was demolished 4 years ago.  But whenever these suggestions are raised in their forums they are very quickly dismissed.  I guess they don't see a dollar in them (probably correctly).  Hang on aren't they doing a new version of YMML?  Another Aussie airport that has changed markedly in recent years - so we will see. But I digress.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I assume that if you don't install the latest libs (I'm still on the 160321libs) you will be safe from any forced migration I understand that this may be the end of the road for Orbx and I but such is life.

Bruceb

Uh, wasn't correct in my case, Bruce. I in fact DID have that Lib file...not one with the built in migration files

I even had the Check Central for Updates box, under settings un-ticked!  One morning, I fired up Central v2.0 to make a region change, and a Start Migration box intercepted the normal home screen, and I could not merely close it, and get to the home screen. Every time I tried that, and re-opened Central...the same screen met my eyes. That is what I was calling forced to migrate. They changed something...they had to, for one day, with the same settings in Central, and the same Lib file...I got the interception to migrate screen.  

Well...I had no choice.   I started the process by first downloading the latest Lib file, which did have the newest migration grooming routines.  Remember, this is still with Central as v2.0.  The Migration started. It finished, and I then ran Central again...and got to the home screen...whereby Central (with my first having ticked off the Central Update sniffer box) now looked for the latest rendition of itself..and that I needed to force a migration once more, in each of my three M.S. sims.  I did that right after the initial  each-sim migration.  I then used the Migration Check Tool to see the results.

I had all green-to-go, pedal-to-the-metal entries.  Before you fly any scenario, and start any M.S. based sim you have, you NEED to use the Orbx INSERTION POINT tool that is in Central, to make sure that the FTX insertion point is above the OLC insertion point in each M.S. based sim you own. ONLY after that, do you take your next flight.  For some reason, the migration can alter your insertion points, EVEN if you had already made sure before migration, that the FTX setting was above the OLC setting.  The migration put the FTX below my OLC setting in FSX, with the result that I had sand textures within mountain ranges and other places it did not belong.  The migration process left my FTX insertion point alone in my P3D's.  So check them all, reset the FTX above the OLC in any of them if you have to. With the FTX now above the OLC entry in my FSX, the sandy textures were no longer where they should not have been.

If you do all of the above, migrate, FORCE MIGRATE once more, set FTX above OLC entries in all your sims, then you will have a stellar outcome, and won't ever want to go back to having to open Central up for regional changes. I am having a blast taking a flight across what was once, regional boundaries, from ending a flight in Oregon..and plopping myself down in Australia...and all the textures are as if I had changed up to Oceania.  No need to any more.

I would never willingly go back to the requirement to change up. If migration goes green across all your Orbx installations...it is GOLD!

One more thing I suggest that can be overlooked. If you have Pilot's program for mountain elevations, you now need to keep ticked (I used to only keep ticked, whatever continent I was flying on, to save memory.  Well, you now need to keep them ticked on as active, for the regions you intend to fly in. In my case, I don't much fly in South America at present, so keep that Pilot's region un-checked in my Scenery Library. I do fly in Australia and New Zealand very often...so now, have North America, and Ocenania left ticked on all the time now.

So, when I (without the need to drop out of the sim, open up Central, change to Oceania, and then run the sim again...that requirement is in the rear-view mirror!) land in Oregon...and then want to fly out of Melbourne, I know that when Melbourne loads in, so will Pilot's mountain elevations for the Australian continent.  I wonder how many people have overlooked the need to now keep any Pilot region as 'on', for where they now fly post-migration.  I'll bet you some reading this are going now...geez...yeah...forgot about that...dang! :)

Bruce, use the latest files, migrate, get it over with...and then enjoy the intent, as you imagined all the benefits that would come with it.  Frankly, you can now have them. The latest files from Orbx has cleaned up the mess.  If there is any nagging thing left...trust me, it will be inside your Scenery Library order-of-scenery layers..and just address your own system out...and be Green and Mean....:)

One final comment, Bruce, and it is not directly stated to you singularly:  My comment is the following.  

I have on my part, first had a most successful Orbx UnifiedLC lookup Migration. All Green.

I have had a MOST successful update from Windows 7 Ultimate, to Windows 10 Professional

I could NOT recommend more strongly and passionately, that a reader and flight simmer does both of the above, for if you do, you will come out not only smelling like a rose...but smelling as sweet as the ENTIRE HOT-HOUSE!

Both events have raised the bar immeasurably for not only flight simming pleasure-of-use, but in computer usage across the bar.

Windows 10 is mature, rock solid, the features are GOLD, and with the latest nVidia 368.81 WHQL W10 driver set, have never had better texture composition, crispness, in all my sims.  FS9 has never looked better, even though it has a lower texture resolution as native, than any other M.S. based sim.  

Post W10 updating, did not require a wipe out and clean install by ANY MEANS...., my system is lightning fast in I/O operations, things open and close, programs, windows, at the bat of an eye, software runs at least 1.50 as fast as under W7, and over all, it has been a stellar experience since my updating...and can't wait for the one month pre-hold of all my W7 files to expire, and then W10 will delete the process, and free up system space, as well as then will make a system-backup of ONLY W10 files.  

I ain't going back...W7 is officially with me, in my rear-view mirror...  :hi: as well as needing to swap out Orbx regions before taking a flight.  Bye-bye to both...I have moved on..and am over both mountains....with now...the metal-to-the-pedal, and 'ripping' across the valley floor at break-neck speeds! :))))))

I...am having a blast!  :Party:  :Rose:

Cheers,

Mitch

You've convinced me to give the migration a try Mitch.  Wife is out on Monday, so will crack on with it then.  Just in case I feel the need to get vocal !!

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I was in the process of rebuilding my sim installations when these migrations issues started. As a result I have not reinstalled my rather extensive ORBX scenery. It does appear that the bugs with the wrong textures and blurries have been resolved, however I have the same concerns as Bruce B above.

My understanding is that one of the reasons for the FTX region switching and ability to only load the regions you needed was to reduce your VAS load and improve the sim performance. With the new "migration" FTX Central I would think loading up all of the ORBX regions at once would have a significant impact on performance and VAS. How has this been addressed if at all?

Stew mentioned using another third party software, Simstarter, to manage what could previously be done in FTX Central. How is this progress?

I have read all I could find at the ORBX forums but have not seen this addressed. I understand that something had to be changed to allow the new NA landclass to work, but why eliminate the previous region activation options to reduce VAS and improve performance? Was the intent of ORBX that all this should be done now in the scenery library or with a third party scenery manager? Has the new post migration system improved the performance of FTX regions and airports so much that you can load everything up at once and it doesn't impact performance?

These concerns are keeping me from reinstalling ORBX. That and having to block an addon from accessing the internet to keep my Sim the way I like it. I would like to reinstall my ORBX scenery and would appreciate any knowledgable feedback on this. I realize I should ask this on the FTX forums but I am afraid a question like this, no matter how sincere, would result in an instant removal and ban.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ted,  You can do what you want, and be left behind in the process. 

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

My understanding is that one of the reasons for the FTX region switching and ability to only load the regions you needed was to reduce your VAS load and improve the sim performance. With the new "migration" FTX Central I would think loading up all of the ORBX regions at once would have a significant impact on performance and VAS. How has this been addressed if at all?

Hi.  The reason for the FTX migration is to install new global landclass lookup and autogen files so that region switching will no longer be necessary.  I doubt that it has anything at all to do with VAS management.

Having scenery enabled in the scenery library has absolutely no impact on VAS usage unless you are flying in or near the area covered by the enabled scenery files.

FSX loads scenery in decreasing resolution with increasing distance from your aircraft up to a certain distance beyond which it loads no scenery at all.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

...Has the new post migration system improved the performance of FTX regions and airports so much that you can load everything up at once and it doesn't impact performance?

Ted

Hi Ted,

Well organized methodical thoughts.

I am not the greatest technical expert in the field but am fairly experienced with both FSX and P3D with FTX. Since the fix was in a few days ago and I followed the simple procedures, downloads and processes outlined by ORBX for forced migration 2.0 (so to speak) every negative issue was resolved.

I have had 0 (zero) issues with blurries, OOM or instability issues. In fact, at the risk of sounding as enthusiastic as Mitch, this seems like somehow the magic bullet for quite a few flaws and shortcomings. It runs with high settings at great speeds with complex sceneries and aircraft with clear, vivid and seamless performance.

Yes, I know that ORBX forums are not always grumpy friendly, but that is perhaps why AVSIM has this wonderful section, to give us all the ability to express how we 'really' feel about things. I don't want to convince you into forcing migration in case it goes wrong, but I did, and am sure glad.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.

Kind regards,

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought that the ORBX regions and some airports had a lot of photoscenery and once enabled in the scenery library it was loaded at full resolution and remained in memory until the sim session was ended. I assume with the new ORBX system having all of the regions loaded simultaneously is not a problem anymore.

It sounds like ORBX is working well for most now so I will give it a try.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ted.

In addition to following the steps as provided by ORBX, I found that after a trial run letting FS build new shaders and config file (after saving for backup purposes) gave fresh performance boost.

The best of luck!

Kind regards,

Uh, wasn't correct in my case, Bruce. I in fact DID have that Lib file...not one with the built in migration files

I even had the Check Central for Updates box, under settings un-ticked!  One morning, I fired up Central v2.0 to make a region change, and a Start Migration box intercepted the normal home screen, and I could not merely close it, and get to the home screen. Every time I tried that, and re-opened Central...the same screen met my eyes. That is what I was calling forced to migrate. They changed something...they had to, for one day, with the same settings in Central, and the same Lib file...I got the interception to migrate screen.  

Well...I had no choice.   I started the process by first downloading the latest Lib file, which did have the newest migration grooming routines.  Remember, this is still with Central as v2.0.  The Migration started. It finished, and I then ran Central again...and got to the home screen...whereby Central (with my first having ticked off the Central Update sniffer box) now looked for the latest rendition of itself..and that I needed to force a migration once more, in each of my three M.S. sims.  I did that right after the initial  each-sim migration.  I then used the Migration Check Tool to see the results.

Interesting, well so far that has not happened to me.  I have FTX Central v 2.15988.3534 and the 160321 libs with updates disabled, everything works as expected able to just run FTX Global and no regions and no sign of any forced migration.  But I now have an up to date FSX backup just in case. Don't intend to change this for reasons explained elsewhere in this thread.  Also no plans to move to Win10 until my next PC build.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

You've convinced me to give the migration a try Mitch.  Wife is out on Monday, so will crack on with it then.  Just in case I feel the need to get vocal !!

The latest files takes care of a painless moving over...

Happy trails! :)

Mitch

Most certainly that could have caused it.

Totally agree...it certainly was that, and not your migration. I have flown for hours in real time, at normal animations in P3D v3.2.3, and from rotation, to landing, all along the flight path was sharp, no snap-in rendering, and has never looked better than under my latest W10 series nVidia driver suite.

Interesting, well so far that has not happened to me.  I have FTX Central v 2.15988.3534 and the 160321 libs with updates disabled, everything works as expected able to just run FTX Global and no regions and no sign of any forced migration.  But I now have an up to date FSX backup just in case. Don't intend to change this for reasons explained elsewhere in this thread.  Also no plans to move to Win10 until my next PC build.

Bruceb

Right...and of course, there is no singular way to have your system enabled.  Any plan is the 'right' plan, if it works to the simmer's advantage. :)

Well, the DEED is done....and it looks good.

1. Defragged system.

2. Opened and Updated central.

3. closed Central.

4. Installed Libs 160708 (from earlier download).

5. Started and then closed Sim.

6. Defragged system.

7. Opened Central and ran Migration.

8. Ran TroubleShooter.exe (Everything Green).

9. Ran Force Migration (just to be sure)

10. Defragged system.

11. Started Sim.

10. Checked OLC still below all FTX in Scenery Library (it was).

12. Opened Sim (desktop to Free Flight 1.5min. (Full ORBX catalogue installed and active).

13. Free Flight to Runway (2.05min).

14. VAS usage at Cardiff (EGFF) 1.8GB.

15. After 90min of flight at 4500ft VAS usage 2.1GB.

16. No stutters, no blurries and at time of writing no misplaced textures.

17. All looks very sweet.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

another  happy  simmer :smile:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg