Sign in to follow this  

i think skylake is garbage along with broadwell-e, maybe you need to get on newegg and amazon and read all the dead x-99 boards after a few months,a few people put a stock 6700k in in a z170 gigabyte gaming 7 and pushed the voltage to 1.5v out of the box and ruined it.i don't care what your sources say, i go by cpu boss and the 4790k is faster than the 6700k in single core apps,it's a fact.you can get high and mighty but you are wrong.

Hi Brett.

The nice thing about facts, is that they remain facts whether you believe them or not.  :smile:

If you're adamant that "Skylake is garbage", despite the forums being replete with users thoroughly impressed with the 6700K, then you need to define precisely why! Random comments like "garbage" and "someone once used too much voltage and ruined it" tell us nothing.

Some very experienced individuals have replied here, but of course you are free to hold whatever opinion you so desire. 

I'm not sure what a scenario where individuals have used excessive voltage on a Z170 board and ruined it has to do with our debate to be honest. 

i go by cpu boss and the 4790k is faster than the 6700k in single core apps,it's a fact.you can get high and mighty but you are wrong.

Well no, it would be the UserBench website that was wrong. I'm not "high and mighty at all, I have been respectful and polite. 

We aren't trying to fix global warming or end world hunger here, it's just a CPU, so every reason for us to debate this in a friendly fashion.

All of us are entitled to be wrong in our opinions but no one has a right to be wrong in their "facts".

:Tounge:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Sorry I didn't read every single comment here cause it started to seem like personal comments. However, even if we are considering 4790k vs 6700k, there's more to it than IPC. The DDR4 speeds have translated into improvement in many games, FSX/P3D/X-Plane included.

I know this is coded differently, but Jayztwocentz on youtube tested BF4 with no dedicated GPU, and only swapped ram sticks between 2133 and up to 3400mhz. 2133 offered around 30fps on medium settings, whereas 3400 was pushing 70 to even 90fps. I know there's more to it like CPU/MOBO/ so on, and I know it didn't test DDR3, but there is definitely some weight to the ram speeds.

I had a 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz and now have a 6600k at 4.6ghz. I use pretty much all the hardcore addons that many of us use (REX, ASN, PMDG, Flightbeam, FSDT). I used to see dips down to 22fps worst case, and best case a flat 30. Now, I'm at a rock solid 30 locked, even after turning up autogen, and between 40-60 constant when unlocked. The 6600k was the best upgrade I've ever made, and have never loved simming more. How about we just focus on that?

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

I would agree with everything you said Jim...

Yet another forum member who has rejected the dark side and discovered the true nature of the force.

I'm not sure why I've developed a fetish for Star Wars when I'm a Star Trek fan but there you go.

• Upvote 2

swapped ram sticks between 2133 and up to 3400mhz. 2133 offered around 30fps on medium settings, whereas 3400 was pushing 70 to even 90fps

I know this is a dead topic now, but I realized I made a mistake in my last post and I want to get it right for anyone's future reference. Jay tested speeds 1600, 1866, and 2400mhz, which should be DDR3. I can't guarantee it but from his results it would seem as though the speeds in the 3000+ mhz range DDR4 would only increase the performance further, up until possibly some diminishing returns

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600