Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Do I have to reinstall my applications/games all over after clean install of Windows 10?

I am about to perform a clean install of Windows 10... most of my games and applications are stored on another drive, E:, do I need to reinstall all my games and applications after reinstalling windows 10? Or can I simply just launch them from my other drives? I really hope I don't have to reinstall all my apps and games all over again. That would be a nightmare.

I'm assuming that I need to, so that it can add the proper entries into the registry file and place them into the control panel > program uninstall list as well.

Sigh...

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Best to expect to set up everything from scratch and move along slowly, don't rush to get it all installed at once, go step by step.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Clean means .... erm..... clean .. as clean as virgin snow.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I started a week ago. So far my Programs and Features list shows 258 programs installed not counting portable utilities that do not need an install. I reinstalled everything and configured each program to my liking from scratch. I also took the opportunity to check for updated versions of software I use infrequently.

As Steve said slow and steady. AND do yourself a favour and install an imaging program such as Reflect or Veeam Endpoint to take backups along the way in case you stuff up.

The only thing I did not redo is redownload my Steam games. Just install Steam and point it to your main steam folder. It will "discover" all your games and you can tell it to recreate your shortcuts.

Cheers,

howevr

howevr thanks for the steam tip, I pointed it my old steam library but what about the save files and stuff?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Normally, yes, you definitely want to start from scratch with everything. As you are also wiping every registry entry to these pieces of software, you are in for a world of trouble by simply backing them up. Registry entries hold location data, dates, keys, registration information, everything. You may find it a nightmare to re-install everything but it will become an even bigger nightmare when you discover just how screwed up the installations can become and how the software behaves afterwards. As mentioned, Steam games can be backed up, as Steam creates the required entries and maintains them. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

howevr thanks for the steam tip, I pointed it my old steam library but what about the save files and stuff?

Many Steam games save (sync) with Steam and will remember your saved state. I assumed you backed up your Document folder as other games generally save their state in Documents under their respective publisher/game names.

I think you also enjoy X-Plane. Whilst its true that its drag and drop method means you have to do very little to get it running again I did manually delete the entries created in X-Plane by certain installers and then reinsalled them. An example would be having to reinstall X-Aviation purchases.

I would try running the Steam games. I think you may find the saves are there.

Cheers,

howevr