Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

How can I keep from having to reinstall P3DV3 after clean install of windows

Whenever there is a new version of P3D out I do a clean install of the Operating System with the relevant Windows updates, and any other software that I need. Then I install P3D and activate it.

When you are done and assuming you have P3D installed in your C:\ drive, create a system image.

If P3D is installed on a separete drive then create a System Image and a separate image to include all your P3D folders. - If for any reason you have problems and need to rebuild the system at a later stage all you have to do is load the System Image followed by the P3D image (if the sim is on a second drive). Reinstalling the OS and P3D via images is a very quick process and will avoid the long and tedious standard reinstall.

Regards

Wow, the only thing left is to replace your PC, get a new monitor and rewire your home.   :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

System Images are used by IT professionals to quickly install Operating Systems and can be applied to Simulator installations too. All it requires is applying some thought as to what needs to be included in them, Pretty straight forward really. You know what they say.... "you can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink".

System Images are used by IT professionals to quickly install Operating Systems and can be applied to Simulator installations too. All it requires is applying some thought as to what needs to be included in them, Pretty straight forward really. You know what they say.... "you can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink".

Been saving system images for three years with Macrium Reflex. If my hard drive dies  completely, I can replace the drive with a brand new bare drive  and be back up and running in a matter of hours. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

System Images are used by IT professionals to quickly install Operating Systems and can be applied to Simulator installations too. All it requires is applying some thought as to what needs to be included in them, Pretty straight forward really. ..

True that!

I may Kvetch about it, but the Image Backup process should be used for everybody with multi-hundreds of GBs dedicated to their flying who wants to minimize the installation/maintenance/re-installation duties.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I've tried "slicing & dicing" P3Dv3 until I'm blue in the face and still haven't been able to accomplish what the OP is asking. At this point, I don't think it can be done, however; I still " kick the can" on an older pc just for the he** of it.

What I have found that works for me is installing P3Dv3 on system drive and ALL scenery, including Orbx, on a separate drive linking paths back through ProgramData. No symlinks are necessary.

Once I've got system drive where I want it, I image it. I do the same thing with my scenery drive. As a final backup, I also keep a master copy of  Lockheed @ ProgramData and Roaming as well as Orbx @ Local.

There are some concessions. I don't update P3D scenery or content, just the client. Since I'm running several dedicated scenery installs and specific simobjects, not updating those is of no concern to me. The only folder I have to watch is Autogen when updating the client. Orbx and a few other installers update that folder and so I run it exclusively from the scenery drive.

Should I lose system drive or it becomes corrupted, I'll reinstall the image. Same goes with the scenery drive.

If P3D goes south, all I have to do is reinstall P3D and if necessary, reset the license,  and then copy over the backup ProgramData folder.  Reinstalling any scenery isn't needed.

Al aka plug_nickel