Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Half the frames between the 737 & 777

Could anyone share there comments as to why? In my FSX DX10 setup I am running frames unlimited for which get an extremely smooth and fluid sim at average 65fps with the NGX737, but when I'm using the 777 my frames only average around 25fps, which is also a bit jittery, could somebody explain to me why or is there some sort of fix for the 777? just curious.

Cheers Rod.

In my FSX DX10

Neither aircraft are optimized for the DX10 preview. This could be related.

Kyle Rodgers

G'day Kyle, I appreciate neither aircraft is DX10 optimized but I'm still curious as to why the dramatic difference between the two and would there be something I can adjust, set, in the 777 to improve the frames when running unlimited, nothing changes in the sim regarding addons, graphic's, nvidia settings etc whilst in use, the only thing in use which is different is the aircraft, I'll have to take a closer look at my P3DV3.3 install and see if it's the same.

Regards Rod.

In my FSX DX10 setup I am running frames unlimited for which get an extremely smooth and fluid sim at average 65fps with the NGX737, but when I'm using the 777 my frames only average around 25fps

Rod,

The 777 is not only a heavier aircraft in the real world, but I've found it to be heavier in the flight sim world as well. In FSX, I too observed a significant difference between the NGX and the 777 as far as performance is concerned. I've chalked it up to the enhanced and different systems/capabilities being simulated in the 777 rather than any sort of bug.

Based on Kyle's note, if you get a chance please do try and flip over to the DX9 mode to see if there's a performance improvement with the 777... I'd test it myself but I do not have FSX installed at this time. I've been horsing around with reverting back to FSX for some other aircraft which are FSX limited (such as the PMDG MD-11), but this performance hitch with the 777 is one of the bigger reasons I've been reluctant. (*installing both sims isn't something I'd like to entertain just yet)

Personally I've found the 777 to perform far better under Prepar3D vs. FSX - better frames, better system response, and an overall smoother experience. P3D doesn't seem to labor under the 777 anywhere near as FSX. I believe it is still a little heavier than the NGX, but the difference isn't anywhere near as as dramatic.

If you get a chance to test it out, let us know if you observe any different behavior between DX9 and DX10 with the NGX and 777...

Thanks!

-Greg

G'day Greg, thanks for that, the post was more of a curiousity thing I suppose as I only get the slightest decrease in performance with the 777 vs NGX in fsx dx10 but as you say the performance in P3DV3 is better but at the moment I'm just having a personal gripe with my P3DV3 not looking anywhere as good and sharp as my FSX DX10 looks with Shade and Reshade and everything else thats been added over the years so I've been finding myself using fsx more at the moment (but thats another story) I probably won't try the DX9 thingy but you never know, I was just curious about the frame drop.

Regards Rod.

The 777 is not only a heavier aircraft in the real world, but I've found it to be heavier in the flight sim world as well.

What do you mean?

Of course a 777 weighs more than a 737, so why would it not weigh more in the sim?

If your talking about FPS being "heavy" how can you compare it to the FPS in the sim vs real life? I just rode on a T7 not long ago in real life and had the same unlimited FPS looking out the window as I had also riding on a 737 in real life.

As far as in sim comparisons, in FSX I find the FPS being equal in both the T7 and NGX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What do you mean?

"Heavier" in terms of system impact, I believe. It was a word play on "heavier plane - weight-wise - in the real world :: heavier plane - impact-wise - in the sim world."

Kyle Rodgers

What do you mean?

"Heavier" in terms of system impact, I believe. It was a word play on "heavier plane - weight-wise - in the real world :: heavier plane - impact-wise - in the sim world."

Bingo - thanks for the interpretation, Kyle.