Hey guys

This is my first post, so my deepest apologies if it's in the wrong place, or I've made a mistake somewhere.

I'm here to ask about the RX 480 vs the GTX 1060 (based on its reported specs), because I have a couple of questions. I'm running on a fairly tight budget, and currently run an i5 4690k and a GTX 760, and I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, seeing as, from what I've head, developments in GPUs between versions is much greater than that between version of CPUs. Of course, my main goal here is to see the greatest increase generally in FPS in my P3D installation, coupled hopefully with higher settings. My questions are as follows:

1. How important is the GPU in P3D? My understanding for FSX was that it was less important than the CPU, but I think that's different in P3D
  2. Seeing as the 1060 has 6GB of VRAM compared to the 480's 8GB, is that an instant advantage to the 480? Is the amount of VRAM important to P3D, or is it more to do with clock-speeds? Initial bench-markings show the 1060 doing better, even with less VRAM.
  3. If I were to upgrade, would it at all bottleneck my machine due to the older CPU?

I would really appreciate some input, especially from anyone running the 480, as I really want to experience improved performance (currently I get around 15-30fps at 1080 with graphics I deem 'acceptable'). I understand that the 1060 isn't out yet, so this is largely speculation, but I think it would be useful to have some starting ideas based off previous knowledge people have. Hopefully some more detailed answers will come around when the 1060 is released and people begin using it. 

Couple of thoughts..

Since you can fly P3D just fine with 2 GB of VRAM, the debate about 6 vs 8 seems somewhat pointless, at least for P3D.

The most common GPU around here is the nvidia line, so going to AMD just to chase some specs or save some dollars would be a move I would consider carefully before making the leap.

I'm not sure that having a faster GPU would in any way detract from P3D performance.. yes, the CPU may well be the bottleneck, but it probably is that already most of the time.

I would wait to hear from real 1060 users... the big question in my mind, is how it compares to the 1070..

• Upvote 2

Bert

Given you own the i5 4690k I think you can OC it with an additional 800Mhz up to 1Ghz. That will result in a solid 4.2 to 4.5Ghz frequency and is more then capable of handling P3D. I'm at an Nvidia GTX 970 with 4 displays and manage a solid 30fps locked i the air and around 25fps on the ground at heavy airports with clouds and AI aircraft. 

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

If you use multi monitors than you will need more VRAM.

With 3 monitors and detailed settings on my pc It sometimes uses up to 4.5-5 Gb VRAM.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Since you can fly P3D just fine with 2 GB of VRAM, the debate about 6 vs 8 seems somewhat pointless, at least for P3D.

I guess what I want to know is would the 8GB perform better than 6. I want to be able to play on higher settings at a stable FPS, so I was wondering if VRAM is a player, or if it's other aspects of the GPU

I would wait to hear from real 1060 users... the big question in my mind, is how it compares to the 1070..

I agree. The main motive for this whole idea of an upgrade was watching P3D livestreamers rave about the significant performance increase they experienced with the upgrade from a 980 to a 1080, leading to me becoming interested.

Given you own the i5 4690k I think you can OC it with an additional 800Mhz up to 1Ghz

I already run my i5 at 4.2GHz  :P

I guess what I want to know is would the 8GB perform better than 6. I want to be able to play on higher settings at a stable FPS, so I was wondering if VRAM is a player, or if it's other aspects of the GPU

More VRAM will not give you better performance, in this case.

Bert

I will avoid AMD when it comes to flight sim

Why?

Cheers :)

N.-

I have just moved from 780 (3G) to 1070 (8G) some days ago and it makes a big difference in terms of AA settings. The 780 was to weak for my also new 3440x1440 screen. Now I am able to run P3D with full MSAA (4x-8x) and/or SGSS (4x). Great experience in heavy weather situations. This was not possible with GTX 780.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Why?

Simple answer, because ;) 

As of my experience P3D/FSX likes intel/nVidia more than ATI/AMD.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Simple answer, because ;) 

As of my experience P3D/FSX likes intel/nVidia more than ATI/AMD.

Yes i know that.. Every tweak or tutorial is done with Nvidia inspector.

Since moving to P3D, i only needed NI to set SGSS... that totally killed my old 660Ti. I can live with that.

So I'am on my way to order a RX480 Nitro from Shappire. We shall see how it performs, hopefully OK. I'm not running a heavy addon sim.

The GTX1060 will be totally overpriced and without stock . I'm guessing by the 1070/1080 experience we have here.

N.-

Yes i know that.. Every tweak or tutorial is done with Nvidia inspector.

Since moving to P3D, i only needed NI to set SGSS... that totally killed my old 660Ti. I can live with that.

So I'am on my way to order a RX480 Nitro from Shappire. We shall see how it performs, hopefully OK. I'm not running a heavy addon sim.

The GTX1060 will be totally overpriced and without stock . I'm guessing by the 1070/1080 experience we have here.

Cool then. Lookin forward to your experience. I do agree with the nVidia price tags they are a pain. IMHO i wont bite the bullet to get ATI/AMD for now. Back in the days of FS9 i had a Dell gaming laptop which was equipped with an ATI GPU. It did quite a great job but it sucked on FSX. Besides that the CPU was way too underpowered by that day. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Cool then. Lookin forward to your experience. I do agree with the nVidia price tags they are a pain. IMHO i wont bite the bullet to get ATI/AMD for now. Back in the days of FS9 i had a Dell gaming laptop which was equipped with an ATI GPU. It did quite a great job but it sucked on FSX. Besides that the CPU was way too underpowered by that day. 

Thanks. I was a hard desition to make, but i couldn't stand the blower of my 660Ti any more.

Here, 960's 2GB are the same price as RX480 4Gb...

I also game... Can't wait for BF1!

N.-

Why?

It's pretty much common knowledge around here to avoid AMD based cards for FSX or P3D. It's been that way for a while and has nothing to do with using nHancer or Inspector but more to do with performance, especially in clouds where AMD performs worse. Just ask Rob, NickN or anyone who has been doing this since FS9 and they'll tell you to stay away from AMD cards for flight sim.

Of course your situation might be different and you'll be fine but you won't know how much better off you would have been had you bought one of the newer nVidia cards.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Stay away from AMD. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310