Mr. Meeb,

First of all, welcome to AVSIM. Hope you like it here.

As there may always be debate as to which machinery or software is best, you just picked the best place in the hobby to do so! :hi:

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I was a hard desition to make, but i couldn't stand the blower of my 660Ti any more.

Here, 960's 2GB are the same price as RX480 4Gb...

I also game... Can't wait for BF1!

P3D uses CUDA cores which AMD does not support.

Also no Crossfire support.

gb.

I'm here to ask about the RX 480 vs the GTX 1060 (based on its reported specs), because I have a couple of questions.

P3D uses CUDA cores which AMD does not support.

Also no Crossfire support.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hello all,

Just to add fuel to the fire I would like very much to add some comments and also get some further info on this very subject.

Now, I note that all and sundry seem to advocate Nvidia rather than AMD.  I am with FS2004 and have used Nvidia initially GTX9800 and then two by followed by 3 x for multiple monitors.  Worked well in those bad old days and then AMD came up with up to 6  displays on one GPU so I purchased a brand new HD4850 (remember them?) and that was brilliant.  I subsequently bought another two and ran those for a couple of years.  I recently (about two years ago upgraded to R9 290 x 3 to run 6 monitors (two monitors into each GPU). I am getting fps of 60 in the air and 30 on ground. I have never crossfired or SLI'd. Please bear in mind that this is using FS2004 only.  FSX Gold, FSX-SE and P3D v3 will not, repeat, not even open using this configuration, and in fact, I have never been able to complete a flight using multi monitors on the other platforms through all my upgrades.

Whether this is AMD related or not may well be irrelevant and I do not wish to bash AMD nor Nvidia.  It does however raise a question regarding the use of multiple GPUs.

I have seen many many posts on people utilising multiple Nvidia GPUs, but always in conjunction with an SLI configuration.  Now that Nvidia have multiple outputs this may well be a very viable option but, .... why?  I have never seen a post, other than mine, regarding multiple GPUs without bridging.

Is there any perceivable advantage in using crossfire/SLI and plugging all your monitors into one GPU as opposed to (as in my case) connecting two monitors into each GPU? My system seems to work but only with FS2004 and I would be very interested to know what everyones' thoughts are on this.  I have no idea of the technical issues and I just sort of lucked into a very good working system for my FS2004.  Given my purchases of FSX, FSX gold, P3D and FSX-SE I am very much of the mind to upgrade but all efforts have failed thus far.  Should I actually be chasing the multiple Nvidia GPUs and Bridging them to run this config for any new upgrade.

Looking forward to all responses

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

FSX Gold, FSX-SE and P3D v3 will not, repeat, not even open using this configuration, and in fact, I have never been able to complete a flight using multi monitors on the other platforms through all my upgrades.

I use multiple GPU's for my Home cockpit and it works just fine, they are not SLI or anything not sure why you weren't able to get it p3d going...

I do know that FSX !!!! WILL NOT !!! work but p3d has been fixed and works fine.

FSX has a limit of 5 displays if I recall

NOTE : DISPLAYS not MONITORS !!!, so there was this limitation in FSX, since in P3D however they fixed it and I can use as many displays as I wish, well I only tried with 8 which equals to number of monitors I use and it worked fine, but I have it set up only as 6 display on daily bases as 3 of them work in NVSurround so it's kind of like that:

in use with 737 home cockpit

3x monitor = 1 display Nvidia surround (for main view) >980ti

1x monitor = 1 display (captain Instruments) >970

1x Monitor = 1 display (center panel)  >970

1x monitor = 1 display (FO instruments)  >970

1x monitor = 1 display (CDU)  >970

1x monitor = 1 display (auxiliary) for other programs asn/map etc.. or whatever >980Ti

so i have 8 monitors but 6 displays it works well with p3d not for FSX, back in FSX i had to split captain and FO display so they were the same using simple y-cable as limit of 5 displays

anyways i don't mean to hijack topic talking about my setup, so back to OP, though I saw he went for ATI card I would also advise against it for sim games as they all fsx/p3d seem to perform better on Nvidia cards., but that's just IMO,

i do not think they are bad cards at all but if your main game is p3d/fsx definitely go for Nvidia and more Vram is mainly beneficial when you go higher resolution so in general I would say 4GB card will do just fine for p3d/fsx

I had nice boost when i went from 780Ti to 980Ti but again I use high resolution nvsurround is at 6000x1080 then add the auxiliary monitor....but if you don't plan on nvsurround or much higher then 1920x1080 then 4gb card is just fine IMO

I also run other games like ARK:Survival Evolved (very GPU intensive game) and it work super on either my 980ti or 970 just as well, same with GTA5/Division/DAYZ etc...

...but yeah for Flight Sim games I would not go to ATI; additionally I never had any issues with NVidia and any other games, so i am definitely in the nvidia crowd LOL  :Tounge:

Andy

Is there any perceivable advantage in using crossfire/SLI and plugging all your monitors into one GPU as opposed to (as in my case) connecting two monitors into each GPU? My system seems to work but only with FS2004 and I would be very interested to know what everyones' thoughts are on this. I have no idea of the technical issues and I just sort of lucked into a very good working system for my FS2004. Given my purchases of FSX, FSX gold, P3D and FSX-SE I am very much of the mind to upgrade but all efforts have failed thus far. Should I actually be chasing the multiple Nvidia GPUs and Bridging them to run this config for any new upgrade.

SLI will not allow you to run six independent (as in non-Surround) monitors, as I assume you are doing now.

(Well there are some workarounds but probably with a worse outcome.)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

As far as multimonitor goes with P3D i recall that LM recommends 1 monitor per GPU. That was in the days of v2.x. I dont know how it Bereich s with v3.x. I tried 3 gsync monitors in surround but i didnt like it. I stay with my BenQ beamer.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Hello all again,

Thank you all for your responses which are informative and appreciated.  

Andy.

Not sure where you are coming from here.  How many GPUs are you using and is Nvidia surround somewhat like a Matrix triplehead2go?

How many monitors/displays are connected to each(?) 970?

If P3D recommend display per GPU (see comment MickeyJ) and if indeed you are complying with this, are you networking computers?

If you are not networking computers can you tell me what mother board you are using to allow placement of the GPUs.

Gboz

Thanks for that info.  I have never tried to bridge GPUs so that may well have brought me unstuck should I have attempted it.

MickeyJ

Again, I am unsure about the vsynch system and am pretty sure my monitors/displays are not.

Guys, I am pretty sure that I could successfully run my FSX, FSX-SE and P3D in single monitor or even two monitor mode but I just find that so hard to come to grips with after FS2004 and my present multi-monitor setup.

There has to be a way even if I have to wait for all the 64bit systems come into play.  In the short term, it may well be that I am condemned to FS2004, however, given the vast amounts of money that I have thrown at this, I am deeply saddened, if this be the case.

However, despite all the information provided in my responses,  I still do not know if there is any perceivable difference in bridging 3 x GPUs to run multiple monitors, or to configure 2 x displays per GPU.

In order to achieve my dream, what could possibly be the best configuration.

1. Networking two or more computers  using multiple GPUs (1 or more displays connected to each GPU) I am very unsure how to go about this but it would just be a matter of more research I guess.

2. Bridging two or more GPUs (as many as possible displays per GPU)  in a single computer, or,

3. Connecting 2 or more displays to each GPU as in my current configuration

I also have a triplehead2go (digital SE) and  tried three displays with that, however for some reason it will 

only give me a total resolution of 3850 x 1080 so I have temporarily abandoned that. Is the 3head2go actually telling FSX that it is a single monitor with a large resolution or is FSX reading it as three monitors? 

Thanks again to you all guys for your help and information and I look forward to any further information and or help forthcoming.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello all,

I note with some despondency the lack of response to my last questions or rather the repeat/update of my first questions.

I wonder why it is that the simmers who are actually able to run FSX or P3D are so reluctant to pass on their expertise or advice.  To be honest, I have been asking these or essentially similar, questions since about 2007 and have never been able to get this advice or to be able to run FSX with multiple monitors.

I am not trying to be difficult or nasty with this post.  I genuinely seek the information which will allow me to update to either P3D, FSX-SE or FSX although, I must admit that I believe that updating to FSX is not the best course to follow due to its lack of updating by Microsoft.  

Do I really have to wait for P3D to go to 64 bit, or the new DTG 64 bit sim to get anywhere.  Will, in fact, going to 64 bit actually be beneficial to utilising multiple monitors.  As far as I can see, the greatest benefit is going to be in the far superior use of RAM and I do not believe for one minute that RAM is the major cause of my failure to use multi monitors/displays.

So, another appeal for help please

Thanks

Tony Chilcott 

Tony Chilcott.

Tony,  maybe not many have a multi-monitor setup to rival yours..

I sure don't    :nea: 

Bert

Tony,  maybe not many have a multi-monitor setup to rival yours..

I sure don't    :nea:

Tony,

Like Bert, I am sympathetic to your lack of response, but can not advise or assist you.

I only use a single large TV as a monitor with Track IR, so although I have used a small second monitor from time to time to put my GPS on, I have no multi-monitor knowledge or experience.

Hopefully before long the right people will see your posts and step up.

Kind regards,

We have a forum for hardware discussions.  It is best these discussions of GPU's and monitors be posted in the respective Hardware Forum.  Many of the questions posed by OP can be answered in the Hardware forum as that is where the experts reside.

Therefore, without further ado, I'm moving this to the Hardware Forum.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

We have a forum for hardware discussions.  It is best these discussions of GPU's and monitors be posted in the respective Hardware Forum.  Many of the questions posed by OP can be answered in the Hardware forum as that is where the experts reside.

Therefore, without further ado, I'm moving this to the Hardware Forum.

Apologies, I'm new here!

Also, thanks to everyone that has responded with useful information. I've been lurking own the thread and reading everything, but not replying to just let the thread flow. Now I guess I need to wait for the 1060 to come out, to have some solid answers.

I am not trying to be difficult or nasty with this post. I genuinely seek the information which will allow me to update to either P3D, FSX-SE or FSX although, I must admit that I believe that updating to FSX is not the best course to follow due to its lack of updating by Microsoft.

Tony I'm not 100% up to date but last I heard SLI is of no benefit performance wise, or close to no benefit, at all in 2004, FSX or FSX-SE. P3D is the only one that claims to offer true SLI support but improvements seem to be subtle at best.

The game stopper for you is that SLI is really limited to driving only two monitors.

The same limitation applies to both 2-way and 3-way SLI.

Those two monitors can be exactly that, ie  two physical monitors, or they can be a group of monitors in an nvidia Surround configuration (this group counts as one monitor) plus an "accessory" monitor (which counts as the second monitor).

The maximum number of monitors you can have in the nvidia Surround configuration

group is five (with the latest GTX9xx and GTX10xx cards) but these will of course be setup as one huge wide virtual monitor which does not sound like what you want.

How exactly do you have your monitors arranged at the moment?

gb.

Jim Young and all,

I apologise profusely for what appears to be a hijacking and for the misuse of this forum. I  accessed this thread through the front page latest discussions and to this day do not know where the thread originated.  It just seemed an appropriate place to try to access the information I needed. Again apologies.

I looked through the index for the "hardware" forum and cannot locate it ... I did notice (for the first time) a forum for monitors/multimonitors etc and I am going to assume that that is the one I should have been in and also, the one to which this thread has been redirected. I shall scrutinise (with an intense scrute) that forum as it appears to be fairly specific from the title.

One last suggestion if I may.

I check nearly every day the front page latest discussions but never know which thread comes from where.  I could well be reading an xplane forum discussion and not know it.  Could there possibly be a header which indicates which forum the item comes from. I cannot see that it would be too hard to do ...  May take up a little too much space ... but I am blissfully ignorant on the ins and outs of web pages or their functions.  Again just a suggestion as it may well be only me that has this minor problem.  It would also save this old and befuddled mind from committing the above mention Foxes Paw.

Thanks again to you all for your comments and sincere apologies

Regards

Tony Chilcott 

Tony Chilcott.

Just to continue if I may.

Can somebody tell me how to upload photos here.  I would really like to show you all what I am trying to duplicate on FSX FSX-SE Xplane or P3D.  Maybe if we can figure it all out between us I could have this system with all of those sims.  Born optomist I guess.

Thanks again

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.