Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Transition from default to payware

This is one unbelievable hobby. I've been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since 2000, using the basic default aircraft and not really wanting to get involved with downloading free planes and scenery. I thought it might be too complicated. I was wrong of course, and later became comfortable downloading and installing freeware, which in itself became a hobby in addition to the actual flying.Well, I thought a hobby within a hobby was pretty neat, but I wouldn't spend money to get payware with all of this great freeware around. Well, I was wrong again. Early this year I decided to buy my first payware aircraft, the Dreamfleet Bonanza A36. What a great plane, and so far more advanced than anything else I had flown. A real Garmin inside of a simulation program mated to an airplane that feels so real. This lead to me purchasing the highly rated GA airplanes like the Real Air SF260, the Dreamfleet Baron, and the Carenado Skylane 182RG. I then proceeded to buy the Flight1 Flight Environment and the recently released BEV textures.Whew, this is kind of addicting. I have a busy life outside of this, so I have to temper my enthusiasm when it comes to time invested in a hobby. I write this primarily for the new flight simmers out there. Don't wait a few years to try new things. Download freeware, it's a step up from the default. Read the reviews, forums, and columns and then make a purchase of a highly reviewed payware addon. It will change your experience a lot, and the world of flight simming will really come alive.

Yep, it is addicting, isn't it? Apart from flying, it is the hunt for new add-ons, reading reviews, exchanging experience, joining a suitable VA (or association) - there is always something to do or learn.A new payware aircraft generally keeps me busy for months, if not years. Reading manuals, getting a "feel" for the plane, learning the different systems and so much more. Flying with the simulator is becoming so realistic that it is almost frightning, thanks to the numerous top-notch developers who make this all possible.I wrote in another thread that we have come a long way, especially in the past few years. It is true. It definitely made me come back and try the hobby again and... I am hooked.

whatever you do. DON'T get into the habit of customizing your AI traffic. I think in the 10 months I have installed FS9 on my new computer... at least half the time is downloading and updating my AI traffic.Glad to see you're enjoying this hobby, it is awesome, when my game doesn't crash on me!

I downloaded and installed everything I could find at projectAI 3 years ago for FS2002 and never installed any other AI traffic.Just copied the traffic bgl into FS2004 and that was my customisation :)Indeed constantly hunting and installing AI traffic is a bit weird, especially since I spend most of my time these days online :)

Guest SaVas

As I see it, and all things considered, while spending a few thousand dollars on payware add-ons for FS9, the sim is relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other things I do. I can easily drop $1000 a month on art supplies if needed, so a bit over $3000 in two and a half years is cheap to me. I love simming, and find it a great escape from the trials of corporate America.Sure there are those who refuse to pay for an add-on, and thats their choice. For every payware there are plenty of decent freeware add-ons that are similar. Some maybe better, some not so much, but as a hobbyist, I like my hobby the best it can be with what resources I have, so welcome to the payware side of things. Watch out though, the payware bug is addictive lol

I think we can all share your enthusiasm for FS. I have never uninstalled FS. It is the longest lasting game on my computer. I think I only have one other game on my computer, but it has been so long that I cannot remember what it is.... :DI to find that FS is my perfect escape from the daily grind of work and people.... When I cannot fly the real planes at my local club, I can brush up on my IFR in FS....Kevin