Sign in to follow this  
JohnB777

Need advice on the move from FSX to Prepar3d V3

Hey there,

I have been running FSX since 2010 and after a period of not playing any flight sim I have decided to come back, and make the switch to Prepar3d. 

I currently have a system 256 GB SSD which I have my OS installed on, and a couple of other small games. I then have a 1 TB HDD which has FSX installed. I was looking to add a new Samsung 950 Pro 256GB for Prepar3d V3 (because it is insanely fast, the difference between the 950 and a traditional SSD is almost as big as the jump from an HDD to an SSD), but I was a little skeptical on whether or not 256GB would be enough, until I found out that you don't (and in most cases, shouldn't) install addons directly into the Prepar3d V3 root folder (unlike in FSX). So I considered installing P3D on the relatively limited space I have on my system SSD (No way I'm installing it on the HDD when SSDs offer such a significant boost in texture loading times). However I also read that addons like orbx DO have to be installed in the P3D root folder, which means that with my FTX Global + Vector + LC Europe combination I would almost for sure run out of space. Not to mention my other addons which might also have to be installed in the same way.

Furthermore, I would like to use the Flightsim Estonia FSX-P3D migration tool, but would like to make sure that you can use that to install addons outside the P3D directory. For example, some of my older Aerosoft addons like German Airports 3, and Stuttgart (MANY more, but those are a few examples) do not have a P3D installer, which means I would need the migration tool (not a problem, I can get that). But it sort of seems to me that in order for the Estonia migration tool to work, you do need to install addons in the traditional "FSX style", and put them in the P3D directory.

So I really just need someone to explain to me in a simple way (something that an amatuer simmer would understand) how I would install my addons properly into P3D, especially those without P3D installers and whether or not it is worth the new SSD. 

Sorry for the big blocks of text, but I wanted to be very clear. I greatly appreciate any help/advice.

Think of P3D as a completely new flight simulation (which it is) & NOT an upgrade/update of FSX.

You will end up a lot happier that way. It might be an idea to keep your FSX with it's FSX add-ons & then use P3D with new P3D optimised add-ons. Yes, some/most FSX add-ons will work with P3D, but they, obviously, will not be optimised for the new sim.

Remember the old day? Trying to get FS2002 stuff to work with FS2004?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I understand the fact that Prepar3d is a new sim, but I have so many addons invested in FSX that I feel it would be silly of me not to take any advantage of them. If I can't install nearly half of my sceneries I wouldn't even bother making the switch. I respect your opinion on the matter but I would like to at least get most of my airports and sceneries working. I do understand that aircraft are harder to port over, especially PMDG. But other than my PMDG 777 and 737 I feel every other addon should be able to work in P3D. 

If you have many Aerosoft airports using AES (light or otherwise) you will no longer have the airport vehicles on them. AES is not compatible with P3D.

LORBY-SI

Hey there,

I have been running FSX since 2010 and after a period of not playing any flight sim I have decided to come back, and make the switch to Prepar3d. 

I currently have a system 256 GB SSD which I have my OS installed on, and a couple of other small games. I then have a 1 TB HDD which has FSX installed. I was looking to add a new Samsung 950 Pro 256GB for Prepar3d V3 (because it is insanely fast, the difference between the 950 and a traditional SSD is almost as big as the jump from an HDD to an SSD), but I was a little skeptical on whether or not 256GB would be enough, until I found out that you don't (and in most cases, shouldn't) install addons directly into the Prepar3d V3 root folder (unlike in FSX). So I considered installing P3D on the relatively limited space I have on my system SSD (No way I'm installing it on the HDD when SSDs offer such a significant boost in texture loading times). However I also read that addons like orbx DO have to be installed in the P3D root folder, which means that with my FTX Global + Vector + LC Europe combination I would almost for sure run out of space. Not to mention my other addons which might also have to be installed in the same way.

Furthermore, I would like to use the Flightsim Estonia FSX-P3D migration tool, but would like to make sure that you can use that to install addons outside the P3D directory. For example, some of my older Aerosoft addons like German Airports 3, and Stuttgart (MANY more, but those are a few examples) do not have a P3D installer, which means I would need the migration tool (not a problem, I can get that). But it sort of seems to me that in order for the Estonia migration tool to work, you do need to install addons in the traditional "FSX style", and put them in the P3D directory.

So I really just need someone to explain to me in a simple way (something that an amatuer simmer would understand) how I would install my addons properly into P3D, especially those without P3D installers and whether or not it is worth the new SSD. 

Sorry for the big blocks of text, but I wanted to be very clear. I greatly appreciate any help/advice.

My P3D installation is on a dedicated SSD 500 gb and have a 250 gb SSD for additional P3D add-on stuff

(scenery/aircraft/tools) another 250 gb SSD for XP and one 250 gb for my Win 10 OS.

Two network repository hard drives for backup and software etc...

As with P3D V3X I'm only installing native stuff and be aware that LM might cut backwards compatibility in a later version of P3D related to Airports)

André