Sign in to follow this  
alexzar14

777 VAS usage badly increased with 3.3.5

I did 2 flights in 3.3.5, both flights had to save and restart.

KDFW-EGLL, restarted once.

LTBA-KJFK restarted twice (cautht it just in time before crush).

Sceneries are FSDT/T2G/Asoft

737 NGX has been effected by 3.3.5 too, although a little bit.

With 777, the VAS is decreasing badly in cruise flight which was not the case with 3.2 where VAS usage was steady, I could circle the globe 20 times and the VAS could stay more or less the same, dropping only at lower altitudes on approaches. In 3.2 I could land at EGLL with 650 MB remaining (done many times, never under 600 MB at the end). P3D settings were kept as they were with 3.2. Update to 3.3.5 was done via client and content reinstalls. Windows 10, 4790k, GTX 970.

I have the opposite experience, P3Dv3.3.5 and many flights in 777 and NGX without a VAS issue. In fact, I almost forget to check on it before TOD. A requirement several versions ago.

There is a report of a bug in the 777 that is triggered when you select certain approaches, I'm not up to date on this but the work around is to not select an approach until you're start your arrival planning.

Dan Downs KCRP

I enter approaches at the start, there have been unpleasant experiences when entering approach inflight results in CDU failing to calculate VNAV properly (mostly true for XPlane, so I took into habit to enter STARs at the start).

I enter approaches at the start, there have been unpleasant experiences when entering approach inflight results in CDU failing to calculate VNAV properly (mostly true for XPlane, so I took into habit to enter STARs at the start).

Must be your technique, it's very normal in aviation to have changes to flightplans enroute, approach change due to wind shift, etc.  There is no reason why the CDU should have problems making changes.

Dan Downs KCRP

From now on I will do it enroute starting with 777 and see if I get better VAS. I'll owe you a beer if I won't have to restart my next 777 flight when in flight! ))) Meanwhile the 777s are on hold, we have to catch on to some other 5-graded stuff - DC6, An-24, and A2A B17 are in priority now. 

Also try not using your dome light - David Lee

Or click on the left fmc or pfd...Remember it's p3d fault though not pmdg.. Don't worry Ryan will be along in a minute to remind you.

It still beggars belief we are just meant to accept you have to save a flight before you hit the descent button... If I'd said to you 10 years ago you can pay 100 bucks for a product only to have to constantly save it due to ctds you would of thought i was on drugs. But then when I got my first aviation job in 1999 at bmi and I told you a first officer was expected to pay an agency (ctc) 80k for ppl, atpl and airbus rating to maybe get a job you would of also thought I was on drugs...halcyon days..

14ppkc-6.png

Or click on the left fmc or pfd...Remember it's p3d fault though not pmdg.. Don't worry Ryan will be along in a minute to remind you.

It still beggars belief we are just meant to accept you have to save a flight before you hit the descent button... If I'd said to you 10 years ago you can pay 100 bucks for a product only to have to constantly save it due to ctds you would of thought i was on drugs. But then when I got my first aviation job in 1999 at bmi and I told you a first officer was expected to pay an agency (ctc) 80k for ppl, atpl and airbus rating to maybe get a job you would of also thought I was on drugs...halcyon days..

The team is dedicated to getting out the Queen. Any and all issues with the 777 since the last patch have been downplayed or waved away. Including the supposed fix of the approach memory leak that only was partly fixed by the last patch. Since I can't afford the Queen right now, and not even P3D which has better memory management than vanilla FSX, I am left counting down the days to release and hoping the 777 then gets all these bugs fixed. - David Lee

I use dome light only at the gate, and even then I use it rarely, as I normally use the panel dimmer lighting and use it to 40% brightness max. The flights I restarted were conducted at day light, didn't have to use any cockpit lights.

Since I can't afford the Queen right now, and not even P3D which has better memory management than vanilla FSX, I am left counting down the days to release and hoping the 777 then gets all these bugs fixed. - David Lee

Don't worry, you have plenty time to save, by the time it is released you'll save enough to buy 5 "queens" ))) As for 777 bugs fixed, indeed wouldn't hurt to have it fixed. With projects-in-development are in development for decade-long periods, suspending support for existing (sold) products is not a good idea.

I use dome light only at the gate, and even then I use it rarely, as I normally use the panel dimmer lighting and use it to 40% brightness max. The flights I restarted were conducted at day light, didn't have to use any cockpit lights.

Don't worry, you have plenty time to save, by the time it is released you'll save enough to buy 5 "queens" ))) As for 777 bugs fixed, indeed wouldn't hurt to have it fixed. With projects-in-development are in development for decade-long periods, suspending support for existing (sold) products is not a good idea.

Next flight try to not use the dome light at all, it is my non educated guess that it causes a memory leak. And in P3D the dome light has been known sometimes to cause crashes. - David Lee

Ok, KATL (imaginesim) to EGLL (Asoft) with AS16 cloud layers set to 3, arrived with 1050mb on approach and 950mb at the gate, which is super awesome, it shocked me!! 

Started with 1350MB at KATL, and then it stood at 1150mb entire flight.

I gave up on some crucial settings. From:

SCENERY COMPLEXITY - VERY DENSE

AUTOGEN VEGI DENSITY - DENSE

AUTOGEN BLDG DENCITY - DENSE

I went down to: 

SCENERY COMPLEXITY - DENSE

AUTOGEN VEGI DENCITY - NORMAL

AUTOGEN BLDG DENSITY - NORMAL

These don't effect fps rate performance but seems to effect VAS a lot. Well, I let it go, nuff with the ever going race to improve the look, pushing pushing and pushing... From now on it's just flying the plane - something I learned in XPlane.

With FSLabs Concorde I set the settings way down still, and the only time when you have time to look outside the window is in cruise mode at 60000ft anyway ))) Bye-bye high scenery display settings. Maybe will restore the scenery complexity back to Dense (so NYC MHTN  doesn't look like a farm land) but autogens will leave at Normal. Also, will go back to rock-solid 3.2, 3.35 is too VASy.

These don't effect fps rate performance but seems to effect VAS a lot.

The BLDG AUTOGEN certainly does but I found I can max the VEGETATION AUTGEN with no impact. If you have FTX Global Vector then be sure to experiment with those settings too.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes I also have out of memory errors and crashes in P3D 3.3.5 with the PMDG 777, so annoying, especially when you're doing 5+ long hour flights.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

That flight I flew with no star entry till the T/D, so I don't know what helped more, the trick with the star or easing down on display settings. Can't experiment with this forever because I have a lot of stuff to do... I'm struggling with IXEG 737 v1.7, every version fixes 1 bug and adds 3 new ones... and for my next overnight flight I want to fly the a2a Strat to Honolulu.