Sign in to follow this  
captain420

when panning back to an airport, i see black before the texture loads, how to prevent this?

One thing that is quite annoying is when panning around in p3d especially while flying and then panning back to look at a payware airport, or AI aircraft, they appear black for a short instance while the texture loads in. This is really an eye sore, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think this effect has become more pronounced in the later versions of P3D, as if the sim has become more eager to unload the textures that it thinks are no longer needed. This is a real problem with TrackIR and a multi screen setup, as the natural head movements are fast enough to cause it.

Using dedicated SSDs on separate controllers for scenery and a RAM drive for the AI aircraft greatly improved it for me.

LORBY-SI

Better graphics card?  No problems with a Titan X.

My FSX also does this in DX10 mode, so the ppl suggesting a better GPU might help could be correct.....

Well I think my graphics card is more than capable, I have an evga nvidia gtx 680 ftw (4GB), although it's a bit old, i would think this could handle those black textures loading problems.

Could this problem be fixed by editing the p3d,cfg file, theres an option for TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

could increasing this number help with the problem?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

One thing that is quite annoying is when panning around in p3d especially while flying and then panning back to look at a payware airport, or AI aircraft, they appear black for a short instance while the texture loads in. This is really an eye sore, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Add this to the [Display] section:

TextureMaxLoad=30

In FSX it eliminates black loading textures.

I do not use P3D, but it doesn't hurt to try and it's a lot cheaper than buying a $1K video card.

Well I think my graphics card is more than capable, I have an evga nvidia gtx 680 ftw (4GB), although it's a bit old, i would think this could handle those black textures loading problems.

Could this problem be fixed by editing the p3d,cfg file, theres an option for TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

could increasing this number help with the problem?

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I noticed this yesterday (P3d v3.3) and do not recall seeing it before but I was at a new payware airport. It would happen every time I panned away and back....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Same problem here.

Texture Max Load and Multi bandwidth do not help.

I live with it...

PS: All scenery on a M.2 SSD with 2 GByte/s reading... and a GTX 970. I don't think this is a hardware problem.

Well I think my graphics card is more than capable, I have an evga nvidia gtx 680 ftw (4GB)

I have a 980Ti 6GB and I still have this issue.  It is quite annoying but have learned to live with it for now.

How high is  texture resolution set to? 1024, 2048... 4096 .. ? If running 2k or 4k textures, along with high settings across the board + addon aircraft, scenery ... reduce your setting until issue is gone.. then increase one setting at a time.. no quick fix am afraid...

I'm using 2048 textures. I see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyhow, hope LM can optimize or fix this somehow.

I have this too using 1024 textures and a 980Ti and like everyone else I would love to find a way to fix it.

Richard Åsberg

Not necessarily related to this issue, but here's an interesting post by Beau Hollis regarding how P3d loads textures:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=120133&p=139706#p139706

Note the two Prepar3d.cfg variables, which I can't recall seeing any reference to before this post:

MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC (Default is 0.001 or 1ms)
MAX_FIBER_TIME_SEC (Default is 0.1 or 100ms)

It shows at 1024 too indeed. It is not something new, the first time Ii saw it was in 3.2.5. and  it is more noticeable for some airports than others. I wonder whether this is not related to a legacy scenery making tool.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam