Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Bush Flying in the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness

Bush Flying in the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness

This plan starts and ends at McCall Idaho (KMYL). The route is 139.5 miles long and will take you into the heart of the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness. The flight plan will include stops at 17 airstrips before returning to McCall. From Big Creek the route follows the Big Creek drainage to the Middle Fork of the Salmon River and then goes up the river valley as far as Indian Creek and then back towards McCall.

CRM1.jpg

NOTAMS

High performance STOL bush capable aircraft are required for the Hazardous airstrips and recommended for the Wild and Primitive class airstrips. I flew the route using the Cessna 185F Tundra. Suggest that you do not use full fuel load. It is hard to get out of Dewey Moore and Vines with a heavy plane.   It is recommended that participants practice getting into and out at least one or two of these strips with the plane you intend to fly.  Try the leg from Big Creek (U60) to Dewey Moore (I99D).

CRM-PlanGRoute.png

The FSX / Plan-G flightplan and a pdf containing links to the airstrips diagrams from  idahoaviation is here.

Recommended scenery:

Orbx Central Rocky Mountains

Date and time: Saturday 23 July 2016, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron, Set server time to 15:00 Local

Note: For those flying the Carenado C-185 Skywagon,  Roman developed several mods that improve handling and enhance bush performance.  It will require editing of of the aircraft.cfg.  

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Additional information supplementing Jeff's supplied NOTAMS can be had through SkyVector by using the switch (upper right) to toggle switch to show the old style plan layout, giving one links to additional airport information. Pre-flight WX, MEA's and Nav information can be had too. One can also fold it up and bring it along to have a backup in case of a GPS failure.   :fool:

folding_map_1.gif

To add.. The C185 mods are at the MP spreadsheet in the repository section, bottom center. 

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Dewey Moore (I99D)--you gotta be kinding, right? 

Don't have the Skywagon, but my Pilatus PT-6 will do nicely.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

I just tried Dewey, first in my Kodiak, then Scout Tundra, even re-installed the C185 Tundra..

I guess I am not as good a pilot as I thought I was.. :nea:

No hope!

Bert

C'mon Bert, gird up your loins, suck in your gut and your good to go. This is going to be a DODDLE! :good:

:Nail Biting:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

One knows now why it is called "Wilderness of no return"!

Bert, what did you do to improve the brakes of the Kodiak? I always thought that its brakes are a bit weak, but don't know where to change that (at least a little bit, not to loose FAA Certification...)

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Try this in the aircraft.cfg file:

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale = 1.6 // 1.25
differential_braking_scale =1.2 // 1
parking_brake = 1

That way,  you can hold the aircraft with the brakes,  when running up the engine.

Bert

Thanks Bert, that makes the difference!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Just a heads up for those who use MapBox as their map provider for PlanG. Haven't been there in a long time & decided to visit the site today. A whole bunch of new map datasets to use! The big one is the satellite map data which used to be a pay subscription. Not any more!  :dance:

It's about that time fellas - http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kosh

Show starts Monday so the best listening before that are -

Combos below can be listened to all at once with very little (or no) duplication.

KOSH Fisk VFR Approach (fun to listen)

KOSH Gnd/Twr/App (Rwy09/27)

KOSH South Tower (Rwy 18/36) 

KOSH Del/Gnd/Dep/Misc

KOSH Fisk VFR Approach (fun to listen)

KOSH Tower (North+South)

KOSH Del/Gnd/Dep/Misc

The co-pilot loves it! BTW there's a little "Multimedia Kit" up on the spreadsheet. Can listen to all w/o popups & more.

Have good flights on Saturday. Will be at 79C looking at airplanes. (Ercoupes)

I've been listening to some of those channels (don't ask which ones, I got into a click frenzy till I heard something) I was amazed at how 'conversational' it all seemed. As a non-pilot one expects acronyms to be filling the air. One exchange went something like this:

"Bonanza blah blah, where is So-and-so Avionics?"

ATC: "I don't know."

"It's in blah blah, where is that?"

ATC "Oh yeah, where are you now?"

"Just by the control tower"

"OK, turn around and cross R24 right. That gets you to taxiway A. Then it takes a dogleg and it right in front of you"

"Ah, right. Thanks a lot."

Fascinating.

Ron

Ahh that could've been a display airplane for it's avionics installation. Yes, very informal, even amusing.

When it comes down to business those ATC guys (invited from all over the US) are the bomb! =@  

Last night on Fisk approach (this is the cool stuff, nice article) =

ATC: That's a mighty fine plane, looks familiar. Where in New England are you from?

Pilot: Blah blah, how can you tell? Accent?

ATC: Yes

Pilot: You sound familiar too.

ATC: Boston Tower

Pilot: I know you!

Today, mid morning 1300z thru mid afternoon 2000z is going to be very busy w/ formation flights of Bonanza's / Cubs / Archer types coming in along with being "the" day to arrive and get setup. The busiest arrivals of any day. Tune to Fisk Approach along with North/South Tower & listen to the busiest airport in the world.  

An updated "Multimedia Kit" (desktop html page) has been uploaded to the spreadsheet.

Have good flights gents! 

Note: For those flying the Carenado C-185 Skywagon, Roman developed several mods that improve handling and enhance bush performance. It will require editing of of the aircraft.cfg.

Roman, a big thank you for the C185 mods.  :good:  I used the "standard" mod for last night's flight and it made quite a difference!   Hope you've had a great weekend with real aircraft too.

Nick, You are more than welcome. Any time. The gathering at 79C was real nice. A few groups showed up for staging as their final leg into KOSH. The only downer? The HEAT & HUMIDITY! It's OPPRESSIVE!  :Sick:

We have shared many, many really enjoyable flights together over the past (I've just trawled back and it looks like April 2014! we started.) and I can safely say NONE(in my recollection) have been so traumatic.

I started the evening casting nasturtiums of cheating, upon people flying modified C185s. I then proceed to spend the rest of the night cheating like a Mississippi riverboat gambler. The amount of time I spent going to the map, adding a couple of thousand feet in order to extricate myself from airplane traps, otherwise known as 'The rough', 'The brush' or simply being upside down.

Many of you will have heard my primaeval scream. Sorry about that. :smile: 

I'm better now. :drinks:

Next week I'm in a PMDG 777

Yeah, right. :Just Kidding: