Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

FSX-SE trim issue

I'm stumped by an issue related to controlling trim on  the PMDG 737NGX and other advanced aircraft in FSX Steam Edition. The issue is that, regardless of how I assign elevator trim commands, when I power up the aircraft, the elevator trim defaults to either completely up or completely down, and consequently, the aircraft is very difficult to control.

For years I've been using a CH Eclipse yoke and controlling elevator trim with one of the hat switches and FSUIPC. That solution worked until less than a week ago, when the problem arose. I can't recall any changes to my system that might account for this problem. 

Here's what I've tried already:

• I've triple checked FSX's controller settings to make sure that there's no axis assigned to any trim
  • I've deleted all of the default FSX button and keyboard commands for trim, and have assigned trim commands only through FSUIPC
  • I've tried to control elevator trim with other buttons, including those on other controllers...but the problem remains
  • I've uninstalled and reinstalled my hardware controllers
  • I've tried both FSUIPC's trim commands and assigned keyboard commands through the FSX interface...but the problem remains

I'm at a loss at this point and am throwing myself on the mercy of this forum. I'm almost certain that it's not a hardware problem, because I do not have the issue in X-Plane 10 using the same yoke and hat switch.I'd be grateful if someone could highlight a cause or solution I've overlooked....thanks.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hello Wayne,

I face exactly the same issue since a couple of days and can`t think what may be was the trigger for that.

It happens to all my FSX-SE aircraft, default, PMDG and Aerosoft.

I suspected automatic head-movement with OPUS camera software but completly disable the software was no cure.

Have you meanwhile a solution for this "common problem"?

Thanks and good evening,

Wolfgang

Have you tried calibrating the controller (s) in windows control panel?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

In my case, I discovered that my FSX.cfg file had Autotrim=True under the REALISM section. I'm not sure how that became enabled, but once I changed it to False, all was well.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hello Mark, Wayne and Roman,

thanks for your input, you helped me alot and the issue is fixed.

Solution:

It was indeed a mistaken autotrim setting in the realism section / fsx.cfg.

I`m using simstarter to always fire the sim up and made changes on the fly in the sim-menues, unaware that those changes are never saved in a simstarter profil.

So always started with a wrong entry.

Thanks for that hint about controller calibrating in windows which was indeed necessary - now some misterious fsuipc problems seems to be gone.

I use a ton of saved flights starting mid-air (before TOD) and all that panel-states come now nicely on screen.

All the best for you,

Wolfgang

• Upvote 1

Glad that you fixed the issue! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)