Sign in to follow this  

GTX 970 vs GTX 1080 FE

You really can't compare a complex flight simulator to 3D shooters ... if you want to get an idea why flight simulators require as much CPU processing as available, load up your tool of choice to subscribe to SimConnect events/variables and watch the stream of data (GoFlight Interface Tool will demonstrate this very well) ... here is an old list (ESP 1.0) of variables and here is a list of events but hopefully this gives you an idea of why flight sims are so CPU demanding .  

Toss in your favorite add-ons (Traffic, ATC, GSX, AS, etc.) and give the CPU even more work.  3D shooters don't need to take into account wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature, object drag, ground friction, EGT temps, oil pressure, etc. etc. etc. ... these are all elements that need to be calculated by the CPU.

Things that the GPU does

1.  Batch AG

2.  Reflections

3.  Shadows

4.  Tessellation

5.  HDR

And of course as screen size increase, more pixels to process (set color) and more work for the GPU.

3D shooters don't need to evaluate/process anywhere close to this number of events/variables nor do they have to make them make any sense ... basically run, jump, crouch, shoot, weapon select, pickup action, the weapon physics don't need to be accurate, there is no "world" time ... this doesn't require much CPU time.  There are limits of how much work the GPU can do, but if expectations are "GTA V can do it, then so should a flight sim" then I think many are going to be disappointed because the two paradigm are very different in scope.

Performance adjustments do continue in P3D as new ways are found to work AG and other view optimizations ... but it's not a infinite road of optimization and keep in mind that optimization can sometimes come at the cost of visual accuracy.  With that said, a typical P3D flight for me will see my main core CPU around 80-90%, my other CPUs at 40-80% pending speed and location, and my GPUs at 60-90% ... that's a pretty good balanced distribution ... in fact, the power loads on my main FS PC can be so high that it will actually trigger my 1500 Watt UPS/line condition to kick-in to keep consistent power output (so it's definitely working very hard!!)

Keep in mind performance improvement between the 970 and the 1080 increased (13%) as graphics loads/settings increased, that's important (not enough for me to swap a Titan X for a 1080), but if one is close to hitting their FPS goals that 13% might be enough.

Cheers, Rob.

You're right Rob, you can't compare the two which is why I said it's still a valuable test result, since we can't just go look at Dark Souls 3 benchmarks or something and assume the difference will be equal coming to P3D. I was just noting that it's less to do with how much of a leap the 1xxx series than it is the type of program (P3D) being benched.

You really can't compare a complex flight simulator to 3D shooters ... if you want to get an idea why flight simulators require as much CPU processing as available, load up your tool of choice to subscribe to SimConnect events/variables and watch the stream of data (GoFlight Interface Tool will demonstrate this very well) ... here is an old list (ESP 1.0) of variables and here is a list of events but hopefully this gives you an idea of why flight sims are so CPU demanding .  

Toss in your favorite add-ons (Traffic, ATC, GSX, AS, etc.) and give the CPU even more work.  3D shooters don't need to take into account wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature, object drag, ground friction, EGT temps, oil pressure, etc. etc. etc. ... these are all elements that need to be calculated by the CPU.

Things that the GPU does

1.  Batch AG

2.  Reflections

3.  Shadows

4.  Tessellation

5.  HDR

And of course as screen size increase, more pixels to process (set color) and more work for the GPU.

3D shooters don't need to evaluate/process anywhere close to this number of events/variables nor do they have to make them make any sense ... basically run, jump, crouch, shoot, weapon select, pickup action, the weapon physics don't need to be accurate, there is no "world" time ... this doesn't require much CPU time.  There are limits of how much work the GPU can do, but if expectations are "GTA V can do it, then so should a flight sim" then I think many are going to be disappointed because the two paradigm are very different in scope.

Performance adjustments do continue in P3D as new ways are found to work AG and other view optimizations ... but it's not a infinite road of optimization and keep in mind that optimization can sometimes come at the cost of visual accuracy.  With that said, a typical P3D flight for me will see my main core CPU around 80-90%, my other CPUs at 40-80% pending speed and location, and my GPUs at 60-90% ... that's a pretty good balanced distribution ... in fact, the power loads on my main FS PC can be so high that it will actually trigger my 1500 Watt UPS/line condition to kick-in to keep consistent power output (so it's definitely working very hard!!)

Keep in mind performance improvement between the 970 and the 1080 increased (13%) as graphics loads/settings increased, that's important (not enough for me to swap a Titan X for a 1080), but if one is close to hitting their FPS goals that 13% might be enough.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes your are right of course. But I wanted to say something different.

Look at my settings, I am now able to set everything to high.

Only Scenery Objects are lower because it kills my fps..maybe its too much CPU depended.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/160719/pirelgbs.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/160719/at8iby39.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/160719/nienpbz9.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/160719/9aofb9jc.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/user/160719/9vxj5w8h.jpg

AI Traffic is at 100%. I reduce the traffic with AI Traffic Manager.

The red circle is my fps killer. When I set up higher my CPU are going to 100%. Its too much CPU depended I think. Maybe LM work on it and makes more GPU depended imho

Only Scenery Objects are lower because it kills my fps..maybe its too much CPU depended.

Based on those screen shots it looks like you've compromised autogen and scenery complexity in order to have more shadows and reflections ... so you've found the balance you prefer.  But you're running at 1080p so that will put less stress on the GPU.

AI traffic at 100% will certainly put a strain on the CPU side even with an AI Traffic Manager.  

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob

I'm still sticking with FSX for the moment and am in the process of building a new machine ( i7 6700K with in light of your testing a 980Ti)  . I intended to keep my old machine which is an i5 with a GTX 660Ti and run as many secondary programs such as ASX ELB etc on it to take some off the load of FSX. What programs can I run on the second machine and do I risk creating a bottle neck trying to ram it from another machine to the new? Appreciate your advice.

Cheers Pete

Win 10 Pro 64bit - CPU Intel i7 9700K 5.1GHz - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 - MoBo Asus Z390 Aorus Master - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 2800 15-15-15-35 - GPU Asus Cerberus GTX 1070Ti - A8Gb - Drives 3 x 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M2 NvMe

Got the Zotac GTX1080 Amp Extream,picked up like 15 frames in Xplane,haven't tried it in P3D yet

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

do I risk creating a bottle neck trying to ram it from another machine to the new?

I think you should be fine, on my main FS setup I run a networked PC that's an old AMD A4 3400 - added a nVidia GT740 - it networks just fine with ELB, PFPX, PRO-ATC X, FSCommander ... just make sure you're operating your network hard wired at 1Gbps full duplex.

Cheers, Rob

Based on those screen shots it looks like you've compromised autogen and scenery complexity in order to have more shadows and reflections ... so you've found the balance you prefer.  But you're running at 1080p so that will put less stress on the GPU.

I already testet in 4k with DSR because my Monitor is not 4k nativ. The Problem is, the lettering gets too small and my eyes hurts. Is there any fix?

I already testet in 4k with DSR because my Monitor is not 4k nativ. The Problem is, the lettering gets too small and my eyes hurts. Is there any fix?

Just increase the Windows text scaling.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Very depressing.

Seems a long way from the original headlines.  :mad:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Very depressing.

Seems a long way from the original headlines. :mad:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/

gb.

Not that far. I've had pretty massive jumps using my new 1080 as opposed to my old 770 in just about every modern game.

In outerra I jumped from barely 60fps with everything maxed, to over 200. Turning down various settings, I can reach nearly 500fps, with the cpu barely awake.

It's in our current heavily cpu dependant Sims where these cards are of less value, unfortunately.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

just make sure you're operating your network hard wired at 1Gbps full duplex.

Thanks for your advice will do.

Cheers Pete

Win 10 Pro 64bit - CPU Intel i7 9700K 5.1GHz - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 - MoBo Asus Z390 Aorus Master - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 2800 15-15-15-35 - GPU Asus Cerberus GTX 1070Ti - A8Gb - Drives 3 x 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M2 NvMe