Sign in to follow this  
conura

Absolute best trainer aircraft

Hey all,

What is the best aircraft in the realm of the C152s, 172s, Cherokees and Warriors? I'm looking for something to practise realistically with. I currently have the c152 from Carenado but was wondering if there is anything superior?

Thanks

What is the best aircraft in the realm of the C152s, 172s, Cherokees and Warriors?

I'm rather partial to the pair of Cherokee 140's released by VFlyteAir. Excellently done, in my opinion, and either one (or both) would make a perfect trainer.

The C172 by AirFoilLabs is quite decent as well, with a ton of in-depth features, a favorite of many around here, but I find it very, very demanding in terms of performance unless I start juggling settings and texture resolution.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm rather partial to the pair of Cherokee 140's released by VFlyteAir. Excellently done, in my opinion, and either one (or both) would make a perfect trainer.

Agreed! The Cherokee is a joy to fly and comes with some clever features: for example, you can put "inop" stickers on various instruments to practice flying without them. And it even has working circuit breakers.

The Airfoillabs C172 is my favorite GA aircraft, but as Jim has mentioned it can be demanding performance-wise and with its maintenance features it may be a little too much if someone wants to focus on basic flying.

Another option is the freeware Robin DR400 from XPFR which I've enjoyed very much:

http://xpfr.org/?body=aero_accueil&av=18

I would say a2a Cherokee to start, followed by the RealAir SF260 as an advanced trainer.

Bert

I would say a2a Cherokee to start, followed by the RealAir SF260 as an advanced trainer.

X-Plane Bert...

Hey all,

What is the best aircraft in the realm of the C152s, 172s, Cherokees and Warriors? I'm looking for something to practise realistically with. I currently have the c152 from Carenado but was wondering if there is anything superior?

Thanks

AirfoilLabs Cessna 172 is very good and maybe the best GA aircraft (training purposes) available for XPX.

All Carrenado planes with the REP Package so currently: 

C210 + REP

V35B + REP

F33A + REP

also the airfoillabs C172 is a great plane

• Upvote 1

All Carrenado planes with the REP Package so currently:

C210 + REP

V35B + REP

F33A + REP

Not to disagree about the quality of those - the REP package lends a very interesting element of forcing correct engine operation - but I don't think any of those aircraft could traditionally be considered a 'trainer'. A definite step upwards!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thank you all for the suggestions - I ended up buying both the AirfoilLabs Cessna 172 and the VFlyteAir Cherokee 140. They're both amazing so thank you all for your help!

• Upvote 1

Not to disagree about the quality of those - the REP package lends a very interesting element of forcing correct engine operation - but I don't think any of those aircraft could traditionally be considered a 'trainer'. A definite step upwards!

have you tried the latest versions with improved angine failure management ? I mean the a2a are indeed still a step upwards from them but i am curious as to what qualifies as a trainer exactly.

Fixed gear and typically a fixed pitch prop, single engine

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Fixed gear and typically a fixed pitch prop, single engine

In the US, a basic pilot's license and training for one means a single engine less that 180hp ( above that requires an endorsement of a license), and fixed pitch and gear ( requires a complex endorsement for variable pitch and retractable gear ). Plus, more than one engine requires a whole different license, not just an endorsement or rating (such as instrument).