Sign in to follow this  
Manny

After I got my GTX1070 and saw the improvement I decided to do a new build

My Current PC with my home cockpit is 3 years old... It's not bad.. I  get 30FPS in remote Islands and 13-20 in most other areas... I thought of waiting for the next CPU Kaby Lake.... But gave in and 

So decided on a new build Just placed the order for the following.  Iam leaving my current PC as is for the most part but salvage an older PC for the new build.

1) i7 6700K ($350

2)  ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 ($134)

3) G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200) ($104)

4) PNY CS1311 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)  ($63) for my OS

5) Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM DVD ($105)

6) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) $23 (I know this is weak but I am kind of intimidated with water coolers I would be happy with OC of 4.7Ghx )

How much OC could I get using a $120 Watercooler??? 

7) DVD drive $29

Total = $850 approximate.

I already have a Liam Li (Mid tower) case

PC Power and Cooling 750Watt PSU

I have 1 TB SSD in my current Machine, and I also have too many HDs to count.

I recently bought the GTX 1070 and I have the GTX 670 and I plan to use both these Graphics cards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

good luck installing windows 7 on skylake, you have chose good part's though. for instance gigabyte z170 boards you have to install a work around to install windows 7 ans microsoft and intel are blocking new hardware to work with windows 7, i am not sure what asus has done.my 6700k wouldn't go past 4.4 ghz,my 4790k runs at 4.8 ghz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2800214/windows-support-intel-skylake-platform.html

What measure of treachery is this...?

spacer.png

good luck installing windows 7 on skylake

I have heard that you may have trouble installing Win 7 using an USB drive...Thats why I got the DVD drive.

Could anyone please confirm if  I am going to have trouble installing Win 7 on my new build?

What measure of treachery is this...?

Not following you. :)

About skylake and Win 7.,

I checked MS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported

Last updated: March 18, 2016 

The following is a list of computer manufacturers (OEMs) who have identified hundreds of PC models with Intel's 6th generation of processors, also known as Skylake, that will be supported on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Support will be provided until July 17, 2018 and its recommended that these systems be upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as possible. After July 17, 2018, Microsoft will continue to deliver all critical updates for these devices through the respective end of support dates. For more information regarding Microsoft's support lifecycle for Windows, please see the Support Lifecycle FAQ

Manny

i was able to get windows 7 installed on a z170 gigabyte board with software provided from gigabyte.anything newer than skylake will have no windows 7 support at all. if the board you bought says it supports skylake you should be fine.

I found this document.

I am assuming when they say 100 series, they mean the Z-170 series

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.pdf?_ga=1.117952906.2030736288.1468881022

Windows® 2 7 and USB 3.0 driver installation for 100 Series

Method 2: Using a modified Windows® 7 ISO Load USB 3.0 drivers and install Windows® 7 using a modified Windows® 7 installation DVD.

Requirement: •

1 x ASUS support DVD •

1 x Windows® 7 installation source •

1 x Working system (PC or notebook) •

1 x SATA ODD 

1. On your working system, create an ISO image file of the Windows® 7 installation source using a third-party ISO software.

2. Copy both “Auto_Unattend.xml” and “Auto_Unattend” folder from the root directory of the ASUS supporting DVD to your system.

3. Edit the ISO file and add both “Auto_Unattend.xml” and “Auto_Unattend” folder into the ISO file.

4. Burn this ISO file onto an empty DVD to create a modified Windows® 7 installation DVD.

5. Insert the modified Windows® 7 installation DVD into an ODD on your 100 series and Braswell platform.

6. Power on your system and press F8 during POST (Power-On Self Test) to enter the boot screen.

7. Select the ODD as the boot device.

8. The USB 3.0 driver will be loaded automatically during installation startup. The “Setup is starting...” screen will show up if the USB 3.0 driver is loaded correctly.

9. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the Windows® 7 installation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that would work

Manny

About the cooler - The Hyper 212 should be able to get you that 4.6-4.7ghz no problem really. It would be my first choice if I didn't have my current cooler. If you're open to recommendations, however, I would strongly recommend a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15(S). I have a -D14. At 4.6 ghz and 1.3v on my 6600k, I'll see a max of about 55 degrees C. I could probably go to 5ghz if that were possible. The temps are crazy good with it, the problem is the voltage limitations on the chips. 

I went from a Hyper 212 evo on my old 2500k to a NH-D14 and the difference while overclocked allowed me to push from 65-70*C max @ 4.2ghz to ~58*C max at 4.5ghz. On my 6600k @ 4.6ghz, FSX will max out at about 50-55*C also. I've heard that the NH-D14 outperforms many water cooling loops. The only thing is that it's big. You have to have a decent case make sure that there's enough ram clearance, and they provide that info on their website. 

I got my Noctua on ebay for $35, it used to retail for $80+. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anything else. It has been flawless, and I think every overclocker should have one.

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

SX will max out at about 50-55*C also. I've heard that the NH-D14 outperforms many water cooling loops. The only thing is that it's big. You have to have a decent case make sure that there's enough ram clearance, and they provide that info on their website. 

Thanks Jim.. My current PC is on a HAF case which can take the NH-D14 but the PC I am dismantling and buidling is a Liam Li Mid tower... I am not sure if it can accept it..it not a tall case but it is wide (fat) so maybe it can accept it. Like you said, the limit is the voltage.. there is a point it does not cross.. .and usually we can reach that voltage with on air cooler. But the NH-D14 or D15 would surely help. 

Thanks for the advice.. 

Manny

Manny

No problem at all if you install from a dvd drive ,

Install Win7 as you did on the Old system.

The only tricky is if you want XP it work to.

5) Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM DVD ($105)

6) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) $23 (I know this is weak but I am kind of intimidated with water coolers I would be happy with OC of 4.7Ghx )

How much OC could I get using a $120 Watercooler???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​The 212 Evo performs well, "for a small, single fan cooler". It depends on the silicone lottery of course, but I would be VERY surprised if you reached 4.7 GHz "at reasonable temperatures". 4.5 perhaps.

You may wish to give AIO water coolers coolers a bash, if so fair enough, but I favor big tower coolers that can't possibly leak, have no pump to fail or become noisy and pretty much last forever.

​So don't be fooled into thinking you MUST buy an all in one water cooler. The wet stuff really isn't required. Don't be fooled by the excellent marketing campaign that seems to be trying to push us all that way.

Don't bother with the NH-D14, it's an old cooler now that has been superseded.

I would highly recommend the NH-D15S. The D15S is Noctua's new, high compatibility version of it's legendary cooler. It has much better RAM clearance and is offset slightly so that it's further away from the uppermost PCIe slot. Don't be put off by the fact that it has only one fan. Two fans only reduces temp by a mere 2 degrees. It's big, which is a good thing, but make sure it fits in your case.

Don't be fooled by the weight of the cooler. Yes it's heavy, but the Noctua Secu Firm 2 mounting is superb and in fact, dynamic load is lower than Intel's spec. Static load is higher by design, to improve cooling, but that's no issue at all. The spring retention system ensures that your motherboard is safe from any excessive load.

Expect to be able to fully benefit from Skylake's overclocking ability with the NH-D15S. 4.6 - 4.8 GHz is the range in which Sklake is routinely falling.

If you do decide to give all in one water coolers a bash, then I would say the Corsiar H110 is the way to go. Unlike many AIO coolers, it does exceed the D15 in terms of cooling and importantly remains relatively quiet, especially if you swap out the fans for better versions.

The only tricky is if you want XP it work to.

Hi Westman.. I am not understanding that statement.. can you please clarify? XP?

If you do decide to give all in one water coolers a bash, then I would say the Corsiar H110

hi Martin...

The thing is, If go to a watercooler my Liam Li does not have a place to put the radiator. Which means I have to get a new Case as well.  The Liam Li case is nice but its got tiny fans,,,, I need to go home this Thursday and take a look.

I wanted this to be a low cost upgrade... 850$ Ha HA1...  now if I upgrade the watercooler and to a tower case which is about 300$ additional.. Is 4.5Ghz to 4.7Gz improvement worth it? Hmmmmm 

IF I can get a 5.0Ghz, then I would jump at it.. Ha Ha! :)

Or I start with what I have and then maybe once the P3D and all the scenery and home cokcpit is all installed and running fine, I may dismantle the PC that I  currently havemy sim/cockpit running  a HAF 932  full tower and 950PSU and add a Watercooler and reassemble... and then OC somemore...IF I get to it....  That's an option

Manny

You can install windows XP 64 and 32 if you want .

the Z170 ( Asus ) Its possible to install win XP ,Vista, win7, win 8-8.1, win 10

You ar not stuck with win8 - win10, if you prefer win XP64 in the sim its possible to install it.

I wanted this to be a low cost upgrade... 850$ Ha HA1...  now if I upgrade the watercooler and to a tower case which is about 300$ additional.. Is 4.5Ghz to 4.7Gz improvement worth it? Hmmmmm 

It's not just 4.5 to 4.7 though. You would be switching to a newer CPU architecture, DDR4 etc. So should expect an IPC improvement.

You don't say what your old CPU was, so not possible to tell you if it's worth it for you.

Which Lian Li case is it? If you let us know the model number we can investigate what fits in terms of cooling

I'm a fan of Lain Li, have an X510 ready for my build.

now if I upgrade the watercooler and to a tower case which is about 300$ additional.. Is 4.5Ghz to 4.7Gz improvement worth it? Hmmmmm 

As I said, I'm a fan of big air. Only mentioned the H110 in case you were edging that way.

You don't say what your old CPU was, so not possible to tell you if it's worth it for you.

Which Lian Li case is it? I

Hi Martin... My previous CPU is i7-3770 OCed to 4.5Ghz 

LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Dimensions (H x W x D) 8" x 17.7" x 19" (WxHxD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112025

Manny

Hi Martin... My previous CPU is i7-3770 OCed to 4.5Ghz 

To 6700K...

Single core performance +16%

Multi core performance + 22%

Most with 6700K are reporting great frame rate and very smooth. 4.6 - 4.8 GHz achievable.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3770K/3502vs1317

Dimensions for the NH-D15S are here...

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s/specification

Looks like it would probably fit, but you would have to measure the internal measurement of the case yourself.