Sign in to follow this  
Manny

After I got my GTX1070 and saw the improvement I decided to do a new build

It's not just 4.5 to 4.7 though. You would be switching to a newer CPU architecture, DDR4 etc. So should expect an IPC improvement.

That $850 already includes DDR4 RAM and the newer architecture. I think he was asking if another $300 on top of that $850 is worth it for the incremental increase from 4.5Ghz to 4.7Ghz that the water cooler and new case would provide.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Oh right, thanks Chris.

Given that overclocking is linear, as long as the system is well balanced and there are no bottlenecks, then 4.5 to 4.7 would generate a very small increase in frame rate. A little over 4% if my dodgy maths is right. So at 30 frames per second a mere 1.2 FPS. Pretty much useless.

This is why it often baffles me why individuals obsess over a few hundred megahertz and burst out in tears if they only achieve 4.5 and their mates get 4.8. In the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant.

So yes. if Manny is on a very tight budget, and "the best" in terms of air cooling isn't an option, then indeed he can stick to the Hyper 212 Evo.

Not sure about acoustics though, how noisy the Hyper 212 is, as I've never owned one. What I can say is that the D14/15/15S is very quiet despite it's efficiency.

I have a Hyper 212 EVO cooling my i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz in a Coolermaster Storm Enforcer case, and the noise is insignificant as far as I am concerned.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

i am not sure what asus has done.my 6700k wouldn't go past 4.4 ghz,my 4790k runs at 4.8 ghz.

Have the Asus Z170-A.

4.5 GHz with HT on, 4.7 GHz with HT off.

1.39 Volts CPU Voltage - no other settings. Works through all stress tests.

Using an Artic Liquid Freezer - which is kind of cheap.

Thanks guys.

The thing with keeping this upgrade cost to $850 or close to it, its more psychological.  the same reason I went with a GTX 1070 instead of the GTX 1080.  A Slight upgrade... rather than a total full scale $3000 build. 

If it gives me substantial improvement in terms of FPS etc for another $1000 then I don;t mind going all out..after all.. Simming is my primary passion/Hobby.

With this kind of upgrade I don't feel guilty doing an upgrade after another 2 years... instead of waiting for 3-4 years. Its all in the mind. We are all economists in our own way.

LOL :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I received all the components I ordered... Now I have writer block.. Don't know where to start.. having cold feet.

LOL :P

Manny

I received all the components I ordered... Now I have writer block.. Don't know where to start.. having cold feet.

LOL :P

Perhaps you are somewhat nervous and have cold feet...... because you have too "Manny" parts?   :Big Grin:

because you have too "Manny" parts?  

LOL :) yup kind of nervous. :Tounge:

Manny

Listen... just Manny up and stop being a wimp! 

:dance:

Manny

Too Manny quips... I'm getting boring now.

What? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

:Tounge:

Manny

What? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

:Tounge:

Look, how Manny times do I have to tell you, there will be no more quips!!! No jokes, jests or jocularity!   :mad:

Of course, Manny years ago, in the days of Shakespeare, in good old Stratford Upon Avon, a town I visit frequently, a pun was regarded as the highest form of wit.

But that was Manny years ago. With that in mind, lets refrain from such silliness, conclude that the Manny men who reside here are beyond such immaturity and babble on about our expertly Mannyfactured flight sim add-on's and the mellifluousness of the Manny Mannyificent images rendered on or monitors.

In short, cut out the iMannyturity!!!  

OK I built my PC and started and it POSTed.. Phew!

I then Installed Win 7 using the PS2 Keyboard and the DVD SATA drive. No problem installing Win 7. I then installed all the drivers including USB 3 and USB 3.1. My USB mouse now works no issue

I then Installed and ran  never10.  Iam now downloading all Windows update. 

I have not yet activsated my Win 7 as yet.

Now I need to add more HDs and Video cards etc.

I am yet to OC it..

the cooler master 212 fan is making a racket... I have ordered some 120mm fans that I sould replace the cooler master one with and add another fan top it.

I wish I could install P3D in two machines at the same time... so while I get my new PC preped, I can continue using my cockpit running on my old PC

I did not OC or do any setting except do the XMP Profile for my Memory and I am seeing this. I did not do any 5 way anything...

Its running at 4.28Ghz,

The Core Voltage is 1.344v

CPU temp = 57C

Not sure whats going on

28496307346_679a24120c_o.jpg

Manny

Check in the UEFI what is going on here. Normally it should run at 40x100 MHz.

Maybe it comes from the Asus tool (I do not use it).

57° is ok. No need to worry. Core voltage is also ok.