Sign in to follow this  
Manny

After I got my GTX1070 and saw the improvement I decided to do a new build

the cooler master 212 fan is making a racket... I have ordered some 120mm fans that I sould replace the cooler master one with and add another fan top it.

Under load I presume?

It's a PWM fan i believe Manny. Check if it's running at full RPM... If so you can switch on PWM in the UEFI, or via Fan Xpert.

Depends how you were stressing your system of course, if it's a stress test it would run at full RPM.

I believe the US version is rated up to 2000 RPM, so yes it would be noisy. EU version 1600RPM I believe.

Its running at 4.28Ghz,

That's the max turbo frequency, or thereabouts. Normal.

My Hyper 212 EVO does not make a "racket", and I have set it to boost up to maximum speed quicker than default. My i5 4690k is overclocked to 4.6Ghz under load, so it isn't cruising :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Manny is probably from the US though Chris, so US version is 2000 RPM. 1600 for we in the UK. So I read this morning.

My 212 Stopped making a racket..it was my fault..my cables were not tied and tidy.. something must have been touching the fan.. its noiseless now.

I added another fan to the 212 and its now down to 33C

I am now running the 5 way optimization to see how far it would go. OC I mean.

BTW.. Could I install P3D V3.3 but not activate it and then install all the addon sceneries like Orbx, FSDT, Aerosoft, Fly Tampa, Mega scenery  etc?

Once I am done with all my install I can deactivate P3D from my current home cockpit PC and then activiate it here?

OR Do I need to activate then P3D before I can add sceneries?

Manny is probably from the US though

Yup I am.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

MAx OC is 4.5Ghz Hmmm

1.32v 

Manny

4.5 sounds about right, it's only a baby cooler.

Wasn't 4.5 what I estimated earlier?

​The 212 Evo performs well, "for a small, single fan cooler". It depends on the silicone lottery of course, but I would be VERY surprised if you reached 4.7 GHz "at reasonable temperatures". 4.5 perhaps.

What sort of temp are you seeing under load. How much thermal headroom?

Take care how you configure 5WO. It's quite capable and the resulting OC can be either extreme or limited depending on settings.

The 5WO built in stress test shouldn't be left at 15 mins either. 15 mins is only stable for 80% of systems.

ROG Real Bench is a good' realistic stress test.

What sort of temp are you seeing under load.

I am not exceeding 65c under load. so not sure why its not OC further

if my multi is 46 I get blue screen when ruining Prime95

Manny

If your temps aren't too high and your OC isn't stable then you need, and should use, more VCore (in 99% of cases).  Unless you're not comfortable doing so.

If your temps aren't too high and your OC isn't stable then you need, and should use, more VCore

What is the max v core I could go up to? Not saying..I am going there...but need to know so I never go there.. :)

Manny

Way higher than you'll ever get on air cooling, especially on 14nm. 1.35-1.4 is as high as I would go on air for Skylake, and I wouldn't go that high with previous chips.

I am using 1.39V @ 4.7GHz (HT off) and get around 65-75° with my AIO watercooling.

I am not exceeding 65c under load. so not sure why its not OC further

if my multi is 46 I get blue screen when ruining Prime95

Under WHAT load? While running 5WO's stress tests, Prime, Flight Sim or what? It's the temp while running 5WO's built in stress tests that are important regarding whether the software adds voltage and up's the frequency or not..

Did you set 5WO to run AVX while stress testing? If you didn't, that would be why it blue screened in Prime95. The overclock wasn't configured for synthetic stress tests running AVX. If you want to run synthetic stress tests, set 5WO to run them during it's optimization. 

And as I said, don't just set the software to run it's stress tests for the minimum 15 seconds. That won't be stable for 20% of users, set it higher!

This may be due to the choices you made within the software. As I said, it's very capable, you can enter frequency limits, voltage limits, temperature limits, it won't go above those limits if they are set. You can test for AVX, set to overclock just the multiplier, or BCLK too. Lots of options that have a big impact.

In addition, 5WO can be set to "Extreme Tuning" or quick tuning. Check the options you entered, the answer may be there.

Make sure you don't have more than one temp monitoring utility running at one time, it messes up the accuracy of the reporting.

I'm not a fan of Prime95... try Asus ROG Real Bench.

What is the max v core I could go up to? Not saying..I am going there...but need to know so I never go there.. :)

There is no official max voltage for Skylake, but Asus and Intel have advised not to exceed 1.45 volts. 

The NH-D15/15S can handle voltage approaching that, your cooler probably can't. But who knows, the silicone lottery is a mysterious thing...  and in 5WO you can set a temp limit if you like, or indeed a voltage limit.

Many give up with 5WO criticize it unnecessarily and switch back to manual overclocking. Simply because they don't use it properly and have no knowledge of how it functions. Take the time to understand it better and you will be impressed.

Important: Make sure you are using the latest BIOS, and the latest version of AI Suite.

P.S. My system should be up and running soon. When it is, I intend to post a run down of 5WO. So many people give up with it because they don't understand how it functions and what the settings do.

I'm not a fan of Prime95... try Asus ROG Real Bench.

I note that Asus specifically advises against using Prime, etc. for stress testing Five-Way Opt overclocks.

There is a footnote near the Real Bench section saying that if you want to use Prime you should manually overclock.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.