Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

FsScene or Birds Eye View?

Guest allcott

>If you have XP you have the .NET framework installed anyway.>The installer might see if you have the latest version and>upgrade it if needed but that's it.>>And if you don't have XP you more than likely have .NET>installed as well as ever more software requires it.>>Rewriting something to not use .NET if foolish, as Vista most>likely will support nothing else (at least not optimised).Simply not true, .NET was not introduced until some time after Wondows XP was released, and it was not even included in the Service Pack 2. Also, Version 2.0 runtime executable has just been introduced, which tells you two things:1: Its not included as part of XP as its not included in Windows Update.2: Something was wrong with earlier versions, sometging in need of patching to the extent that a whole new version is required.You only have to look at the innumerable problems revealed by version 1.0 and 1.1 to know that .NET is still very much `in development`. It is both unnecessary and problematic on many systems and the difficulty with BEV wasn't that it used, but that it used it only to install the utility and it gave the user no option BUT to install it to use the texture package. Not good enough, but that has been addressed for the update where I believe the user will NOT have to have .NET installed at all. Which can only be a good thing.Allcott

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

.net really makes allcott's balls shrivel.

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

I'm sorry I shouldn't have posted that.

Guest hassata

I've had Net installed ever since I installed Shoot 1.6 (free voice command software) 2+ years ago and have never had a problem. There is no performance hit with Bev. They look great, and IIRC all configurator issues have been resolved. And its 12 bucks people-just pass on the Big Gupl Slurpie and Hot Dog/Nacho surprise.

Guest PDX Bailey

Does anyone know a tentative timeline for the BEV configurator being rewritten without the .NET usage?

.NET WAS introduced with XP, but it was not until some time later that versions for other OSs became available.At that time the first downloadable versions were released, what may have put you off (it was originally intended to release it for XP exclusively).I've had beta compilers for .NET for years, since the days of XP beta in fact.

I have both and I prefer BEV. Granted, I haven't tried the autogen fixes for FScene, but the autogen alignment with BEV is nearly perfect all of the time, and would be hard to beat. Also note that the FScene textures are essentially hand drawn where as the BEV textures are based off photos. This means that FScene has a more "painted" look while BEV looks strictly photoreal, which I prefer.The BEV configurator and .net shouldn't cause any problems as long as you have a clue on how to operate a computer.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest DavidJE

Plus another point FScene dosn't include mountain/rock textures only vegitation. David

I like the look of BEV but I will never consider purchasing their product until they release every season. Who was the marketing genius that decided to release summer textures in October? You can't fly with real weather or ASV because the weather won't match the scenery. They should have released fall or winter first. I would have considered purchasing BEV now if they did.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest JimC1702

>I like the look of BEV but I will never consider purchasing>their product until they release every season. Who was the>marketing genius that decided to release summer textures in>October? You can't fly with real weather or ASV because the>weather won't match the scenery. They should have released>fall or winter first. I would have considered purchasing BEV>now if they did. >I agree it was a poor decision. They should have released the fall textures first. Even now, they should release the fall textures rather than hold it up while making a new configurator. By the time the fall textures are released, it'll be winter. It's a hassle for people wanting to use real weather.Jim

Hi,BEV had the plan to release the Summer textures earlier, but ran into delays. They are also working on getting the Fall textures ready to go and it has more to do than just the configurator.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest DavidJE

I agree, I would of purchased the textures by now as well but have no use at all for Summer and within a few weeks no use for Fall either. Delay's or not, might of helped if they were a little more realistic with their release date. Though going by all the chatter in the different forums from the Korby drama being a couple seasons behind seems to be the least of their concerns.Regards,David

Hey-I'm from Detroit area Mi. also-but I think in MSFS the summer textures are the only ones that look realistic vs. the real world. The fall textures look "cartoonish" to me-the winter are somewhat realistic-but I hate flying in winter-both real and simulated.So I have no problem flying perpetually in summer....Geoffrey (with two ff's also...)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Jeffrey:Have you checked out the BEV fall textures at their website? They look better, but I haven't seen any of the winter BEV textures yet. Of course, here in Houston, we have no winter textures, so a December release of fall textures is okay with me. LOLWilson