Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

GPS for A2a Cessna 172.

I just started flying my C 172 this week after many months of only flying commercial passenger jets. I have the Mindstar 530 GPS, and tried programming flight plans into it and many of the waypoints to even appear. So I purchased a years subscription of Real Nav Data thinking that maybe the database is too old, and same exact issue is the result, which makes this GPS totally useless for flying with Pro ATC or any other flight plan generators. I see others have posted the same issue on the Mindstar forum. Now my question is, does anyone know of a better GPS that will work in the C 172 and be able to use common waypoints in the flight planning?   

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bob,

Flight1 has the GTN650 or GTN750 that work with the A2A C172

Fly safe

• Upvote 1

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

I have the GTN750 from Flight 1, It works great. A2A supports it well - you dont have to edit any config file or anything. 

You can download the GTN 750 trainer (Free) from Garmin and try it out. 

thx

• Upvote 1

Bob,

Flight1 has the GTN650 or GTN750 that work with the A2A C172

Fly safe

Yup, no question. GTN650 or GTN750 (preferred).

Jon Skiffington

Here is an example of what I am going through with the 430/530 GPS.  These waypoints will not even come up, with the latest Nav Data 1607. Is anyone able to pull up even one of these in the GTN650.  I hate to spend another $70 and be in the same position I am now. On the other hand, maybe these GPS units just don't do waypoints, because i have no problem with it finding airports. and VORs. 

TEMPO
BAPPY
ENSOR
NELLO
HANKO
CALCO
KAZER

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am currently at work but I will look into I this evening unless someone else can verify it for you first.

Fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Hello Bob,

I just ran all of your waypoints through the GTN750 and they are ALL there!

Go for it!! :good:

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Here is an example of what I am going through with the 430/530 GPS.  These waypoints will not even come up, with the latest Nav Data 1607. Is anyone able to pull up even one of these in the GTN650.  I hate to spend another $70 and be in the same position I am now. 

TEMPO
BAPPY
ENSOR
NELLO
HANKO
CALCO
KAZER

Why dont you try it for yourself, download the Garmin Trainer Lite from Flight1 (which is also required if you purchase the GTN650 or 750):

http://www.flight1.com/link.asp?id=gtn  its about 1.8gb

Trevor

• Upvote 1

Last question, 650 or 750. I have read the info on Flight 1 website, but can't figure out which to get. 

• Upvote 1

I went for the 750 and i'm very happy with it.

Here is some food for thought,  A great little piece from TJ

If you like big moving map displays and magenta lines, get the 750.  

If you are an old school pilot who prefers to use the primary flight and nav instruments, get the 650, it is much less obtrusive.  A GTN 750 in a 1960s Cherokee is like putting a modern automobile gps, backup camera, bluetooth/wifi interface in a 1960s car  Not only does it spoil the look of the vintage VC, but if you are into realism, it would be very unlikely to see a brand new $25K USD piece of avionics in a 50 year old airplane worth about $30K-40K USD   Even the 650 is pushing it but at least it is smaller and much less obtrusive.  Yes it requires a few more clicks to get the same info, but at 110kts you have plenty of time to press buttons.  

I have both, and find the 650 perfect for typical GA cockpits.  The 750 is ideal for extreme high performance aircraft like the Turbine Duke, in which things happen very quickly and you need info promptly, but for a much slower 182, Cherokee, 172, the 650 is plenty.  

Another point in favor of the 650, being the smaller unit, it will likely see more addon compatibility because it will require less panel redesign from the developers.  Tandem/Single seat aircraft with fighter type cockpits will likely only have room for the 650 as well. 

Cheers
TJ
  • Upvote 1

I went for the 750 and i'm very happy with it.

Here is some food for thought,  A great little piece from TJ

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. The 650 will be it, you can't get much older school than me...... :wink:

• Upvote 1

Last question, 650 or 750. I have read the info on Flight 1 website, but can't figure out which to get. 

With the 650, the display is sort of small when compared to the 750. Keep in mind that both Flight1 units work in the VC of a number of aircraft by default and if you go to the official Flight1 forum for the GTN units, there is a thread that describes how to install the units into almost any VC. The only problem with the GTNs is that the user can't constantly update the Navaid database and one has to wait until Garmin has issued an update to the GTN trainer app. The most recent Navaids version is AIRAC Cycle 1513 and Flight1 has not yet updated this by default.

Just for clarification, Jay, let me get this right as this thread has intrigued me as I have several A2A aircraft. I have a Navigraph subscription so are you saying that if I opted for either of these GTNs from Flight 1 I would not be able to use the AIRAC cycles from Navigraph?

Just watched the video on the Flight 1 site on the 750. Wow, that looks pretty cool... Might change my mind.