Sign in to follow this  
conura

Aircraft between 172 and ixeg 73

Hello all,

I am following the Flyaoamedia tutorials from start to finish as I'd like to have a thorough grasp of aviation before I start on the IXEG properly.

Right now I am learning in the AirFoil Labs c172, and I think (though may be wrong?) it would be good practice to start on a larger twin engine prop and getting some hours before moving to the IXEG? Is this correct?

If so, I've seen a lot of good feedback for the SAAB 340, is this a realistic aircraft as a intermediate plane between the Cessna and the 73? Or should it be something smaller / a smaller jet aircraft?

I only really like using things that are as close to the real world as possible so I think the SAAB is main option?

Thank you :)

The Saab is a great addon and in my opinion a must have for X-Plane. That being said, I wouldn't say that the Saab will help you much in mastering the IXEG. The systems and their controls (panels etc.) are very different.

So stepping up from the 172 to the 340A is about the same task as stepping up from the 172 to the 733 (minus the FMC which takes some more time getting used to than the GPS in the SAAB).

I don't think the IXEG 737 is any more challenging to fly than the Cessna 172 unless you do all of the checklists and work with ATC. In fact, since most of the flying in the IXEG is done by the autopilot, I find it easier and less challenging. You just program a route in, perform the take off, enable, and then turn it off just before landing. You can of course just hand fly the 737, but I found it easier to fly than the Saab.

If you are going to learn how to perform instrument approaches without using the autopilot, then I think sticking with the Cessna until you are happy doing them is a good plan. The Saab is more complicated to fly than the 737, but it's also great fun. Hand flying a VOR approach in the Saab and then breaking out of the clouds to see the runway is quite rewarding.

If I remember correctly, AOA use Carenado's Bonanza which is also available for X-Plane, and with the GPS added in 10.30, you can pretty much follow along with all the videos until they move onto the Duke.

• Upvote 2

like tony said it is not necessarily more complicated. the main difference however is the speed at which everything can go south :D

Basically a 737 is about 4 times faster than a C172 and therefore you only have 1/4th of the time to make the right decision. This is what makes things seem complicated. But if you start with easy managable flights it is doable

• Upvote 1