Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

What's so Special about Aerofly FS 2 ?...

Many improvements done to VR. Juddering now gone for smooth VR. WAY better than Flyinside P3D 3rd party application. Pointer now available in cockpit. With the promised ATC, SDK available for developers, etc. this is the 21st century darkhorse running very quickly to the front of the flightsim world. With FMCs, fully functional cockpits, one can expect these additions to blow everything out of the water.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Very true Lenny,

but I have decided to look at this platform in a different, less stressing way than I used to with other ( elite, msfs, x-plane, dcs, aerowinx... ) where we users kind of "kill the golden eggs chicken" by trying to have it all in a second, keep pushing the devs for, sometimes, weekly updates, keep asking for whatever we have dreamed to have in a flightsim, no matter how complex it may be to implement.

As you mentioned and I fully agree, 3pd interest in this promissing platform is crucial! A good SDK is mportant and developing it will probably be as complex and of a workload not inferior to keep developing the sim itself, new aircraft and scenery areas, etc... So...

I decided that instead my apprach this time will be to profit as much as possible from what I already have, and appreciate each new update, DLC, or whatever, with satisfaction because it'll simply add even more to what is already available.

The team behind Aerofly may grow if the user base increases significantly to finatially support their project, but it's a small teal regight now, probably smaller than that behind X-Plane with decades of development, so, having this in mind whenever I feel that I woud like to have this or that feature modeled will help "controlling" my expectations and wants from Aerofly FS 2.

For the time being, it is the flight simulator providing me with the best feel of flight I've had with either of the platforms I've used for years, so, I'm fine already, very fine :-)

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

As you mentioned and I fully agree, 3pd interest in this promissing platform is crucial! A good SDK is mportant and developing it will probably be as complex and of a workload not inferior to keep developing the sim itself, new aircraft and scenery areas, etc... So...

This is exactly the whole point of the matter. In my native language, we would say that this is a dog biting at his own tail.

On one side, I see many users (here and in other fora) being clearly attracted by Aerofly FS2 promising graphics and features, but still reluctant to invest money on an early access version. They prefer to wait until more features are added and, in particular, until some respected developers will decide to release addons for this new platform. On the other side, IPACS is a small team and can only grow and expand if new paying users decide to jump on this bandwagon. Not an easy situation.

Fact is, our community is strongly ESP-addicted. We all complain about ESP limitations, but then we are first-day purchasers of any new release out there. We complain about the price for Aerofly FS2, but we seem to forget how many times we use our credit cards for addons the we end up using 2 or 3 times or hangar very soon. 

• Upvote 2

I am one of those interested punters who prefers to "wait and see" with respect to AeroFly FS2. However, make no mistake....I am interested. If IPACS can create a modern day version of the Flight Unlimited series (in all departments), then I will be seriously tempted. To be honest, additional scenery areas are not the priority for me with AeroFly FS2. What I want is that south western USA region in full and complete detail (3D scenery and landmarks/autogen/airports/airfields/ATC/AI planes). I don't need another FSX.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If IPACS wants this to take off they need to allow 3rd party addons. That is the secret to MSFS success and is needed for any sim to make it.

Moe

If IPACS wants this to take off they need to allow 3rd party addons. That is the secret to MSFS success and is needed for any sim to make it.

Moe

And who says they don't allow them? They provided an SDK on request to interesting parties and intend to release it to the publick in the foreseeable future.

BTW, there is a SPAD.neXt extension for AeroflyFS2 in development making our Saitek gear work.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Exactly,

the SDK has been released, and in an instant after release of the firt version they made it VR ready, added new features to aircraft, a new flying area, for a reasonable price given the beauty of it's landscapes and the fact that it brings much more than what was contained in the original Aerofly FS 1 Swiss scenery.

They're on the right track.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I was just browsing through the various topics on the Steam forums regarding AeroFly, and there's several mentions of the SDK allowing third parties to build scenery and airports. If that proves to be workable, and not too difficult (and only requiring open source tools), then my interest will ramp up considerably.

For the time being, it is the flight simulator providing me with the best feel of flight I've had with either of the platforms I've used for years, so, I'm fine already, very fine :-)

In your opinion, how is the gliding experience? What, if anything, gives it any advantage over any of the other general sims (XP, FSX, P3D), and what might it be missing?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

In your opinion, how is the gliding experience? What, if anything, gives it any advantage over any of the other general sims (XP, FSX, P3D), and what might it be missing?

Well Jim,

Aerofly's approach to flight dynamics modelling brings some advantages, imh, over x-plane's approach in that it uses table-based data and aerodynamic coefficients that supposedly X-Plane calculates from the "shapes" of the aircraft but experience shows fall short from providing sometimes even the most basic features of a particular aircraft such as pitching moments due to flap, gear, airbrake deployment, thrust, etc...

In Aerofly an aircraft is still decomposed in several lift / drag / thrust generation elements that combined create the aircraft structure as a whole, plus it's flight controls. This approach is ahead of MSFS's approach where a single entity is modelled as a whole body,and thus allows for much easier reproduction of asymmetric lift and drag, as well as thrust, behaviour.

The 2 default gliders that come with Aerofly FS 2 perform much more satisfactorily than the best glider add-ons I ever had for MSFS or X-Plane. In as far as weather modelling goes, even being still "basic" with "only" wind variability, turbulence and thermals as well as ridge lift being plausibly modelled, included thermal cant due to wind.

Users look forward for more systems and complexity in their modelling to be added with future add-ons, and the cooperation with 3pds. Basic aspects like fuel management are crucial, and I think this was mentioned as being one of the future features, but the Aerofly team is also looking at ATC, and many other features.

For me, vey honestly, this is presently the platform I am placing my biggest expectations.

Main Simulation Rig:

Jim, if you are into contributing something you can get the SDK from IPACS right now. Just contact them. It's still on beta but seems to work so far. 

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The fact of the matter this is the only flight simulator, let alone 64 bit simulator, with native VR. It is WAY better than the 3rd party addon for P3D/FSX and particularly with regard to interior cockpit manipulation of switches, gauges, etc.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

i have been with fsx from the early days when the graphics was very  poor  but have gone with them many years,, now with fsx steam   add ones  galore have upgraded computer  intel i7  gt750 card  etc  etc and just purchased sim lab a320  what a plane      anyway  looking at aerofly   compare with fsx when 1st started  its well so far advanced    and could go all the way  they seem keen to listen to peaple  share there thoughts and getting ideas to inprove this sim they are holding a gold mine if they invest the rewards would be so great,, i will purchase this areofly to show my support to the makers of this sim i hope they push it forward and add ones  will soon follow ,,,,,,,,,,           i have  had xplane p3d fsx      fsx is still my best one  but  now areofly will run on its own hard drive with room for expansion    

I purchased it a month ago, and I couldn't even log more than 2 hours of flying. Good photo scenery, good visuals, and let's say promising flight dynamics, and I'm afraid that's all. Something major is missing, flight sensation and immersion itself is on a very very low level, no satisfaction at all. First off all sound is awful, and even in MONO format! That killer 50% of the immersion right away. Another thing is that all airplanes feel artificial, probably because they are way more simpler than default airplanes in P3D (Bonanza, Mooney, Maule, etc). AeroflyFS 2 has amazing potential but it still feels like an early alpha, photo scenery with some autogen and few airplanes with basic functions and bad mono sounds.

The only thing that is really way above the competition is the graphics engine! 120fps with GTX 960 2gb, and 200fps with GTX 1060 6gb is just mindblowing. I'm talking about ultra details set in options!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

The only thing that is really way above the competition is the graphics engine! 120fps with GTX 960 2gb, and 200fps with GTX 1060 6gb is just mindblowing. I'm talking about ultra details set in options!

Worth bearing in mind that the reason it is performing like it is, is because it is missing the things you talked about in your first paragraph.

It is missing complex aircraft, ai, atc, weather etc etc. Once those are added I bet it will slow down quite a lot.

It hopefully will still perform well but I doubt it will be hitting those fps once a very complex aircraft is involved.

I'd love to see it succeed but it definitely needs proper sim level aircraft and more scenery and features to be taken seriously as a competitor to what is out there already.

Chris

• Upvote 1

Worth bearing in mind that the reason it is performing like it is, is because it is missing the things you talked about in your first paragraph.

It is missing complex aircraft, ai, atc, weather etc etc. Once those are added I bet it will slow down quite a lot.

It hopefully will still perform well but I doubt it will be hitting those fps once a very complex aircraft is involved.

I'd love to see it succeed but it definitely needs proper sim level aircraft and more scenery and features to be taken seriously as a competitor to what is out there already.

Chris

Yep, I forgot about that "detail" lol.  :smile:

It also has autogen only around airports, P3D will perform similiar I can bet.

I have high hopes for this platform, and somehow I believe it can achieve 60fps locked with complex autogen/airplane/weather/ai.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.