Sign in to follow this  
Faelandaea

Touch and Go ... What amd I doing wrong?

Ok, feel ready for your chek ride? I'm watching!

Just a couple of advise while I'm watching:

_ TO rating seems a bit high for the weight you entered in the FMC. If you derate your takeoff it will be easier to control the intial climb speed and rate.

_ When retracting or deploying the flaps, you don't need to call for flaps 15. Just go directly from flaps 20 to flaps 5 and from flaps 5 to flaps 20. During approach, flaps 15 is usually used when you need a lower approach before lower the ldg gear, otherwise you can skip it.

Except from one time where you had to repeat flaps 20 twice, it seems that everything worked flawless?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Well ... an update.  The flying was messy.  it was so messy I was embarrassed to even be streaming ... but even with the messy speeds, messy altitudes, and messy turns, I was able to replicate the issue again in the T7.  Everything beautiful until it came time for the second gear down.  I saw I had one viewer besides myself ... so whichever one of you watched, I am anxious to see where I went wrong ... besides flying like I had too many drinks.

Edit:  Romain that was you watching!  I so don;t want my score, please ROFL.  But yeah did you see anything that might hint as to where FS2Crew is losing track?

Ok, feel ready for your chek ride? I'm watching!

Just a couple of advise while I'm watching:

_ TO rating seems a bit high for the weight you entered in the FMC. If you derate your takeoff it will be easier to control the intial climb speed and rate.

_ When retracting or deploying the flaps, you don't need to call for flaps 15. Just go directly from flaps 20 to flaps 5 and from flaps 5 to flaps 20. During approach, flaps 15 is usually used when you need a lower approach before lower the ldg gear, otherwise you can skip it.

Except from one time where you had to repeat flaps 20 twice, it seems that everything worked flawless?

It was flawless on the first run, but did you notice on the second pattern that she refused to gear down?  And she reacted to flaps 15, but would not go beyond that.  I was even down to just above VREF, well below speed, and she would not go Flaps 20 at all. 

But yeah did you see anything that might hint as to where FS2Crew is losing track?

I'm not sure what is wrong there. I could hear your voice in the video. The only thing I saw was that you called once gear down and got nothing. Then you selected hard mute, then deselected it called again gear down and it worked. you then call flaps 20 and it worked as well.

Is it or have I misse something?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Ah ... yeah ... okay so on the replay:  https://www.twitch.tv/faelandaea/v/79403284  ... at 00:25:00 in the video is my second landing.  I am not on hard mute.  

1. At 00:25:20 I call gear down.  No action.
  2. I double checked to make sure I am not on Hard Mute.  I'm not.
  3. At 00:25:30 I call Gear Down a second time.  Speed is well under gear speed so that should not have been an issue.
  4. At 00:25:40 I try one last time.  In the green strip, it IS displaying "Gear Down", but the aircraft is taking no action.  The gear is still up.
  5. I figured maybe the FO is designed to not do gear before flaps?  So at 00:25:43 I call Flaps 20.  Nada.
  6. At 00:25:45 I try "Flaps 25" ... still no reaction.  Speeds are checked.
  7. At 00:25:55 I make a final attempt at Gear Down.
  8. Figuring maybe the landing phase had been cleared, at 00:25:57 I state This Will Be a Touch and Go.  She acknowledges.  So I call gear Down again.  Nothing.
  9. At 00:26:08 I finally gave up on gear and put the gear down manually.
  10. At 00:26:16 I call "Flaps 15".  She complies.  
  11. At 00:26:35 I call Flaps 20 ... figured she did Flaps 15, she'll work now.  Nope.  No joy.
  12. At 00:26:46, I announce she is still having issues and I manually go to Flaps 20.  Then i call for flaps 25.  Nothing.  I call again.  Nothing.
  13. At 00:27:17 I manually set flaps 25.
  14. The rest of the landing goes without incident, except that she thought "Autobrake" meant "Heading" and she set my heading bug LOL.

POST EDIT:  My first video had mic issues.  I re-recorded and changed this post to reflect the final video.

At first sight, I don't see anything wrong, but I will test is on my system and see if I can reproduce it.

Maybe flying will give me some idea. There are some things that we do with thinking about it after some time.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I forgot to add ... on the flaps advice and de-rating, thyanks.  I always welcome advice for better flying (the entire point as to why I am starting to practice hand flying instead of using the autopilot).

The autopilot I think spoils a lot of flight simulation enthusiasts.  And while in real life I can hand fly a GA aircraft almost perfectly, there's not a setting in the world for FSX that can make it as easy to hand fly an airliner.  I recently signed up for KLM Virtual, and would like to start hand flying some of the short hops in the 737 that are only around n hour to do, and as for the T7, I want to do like real world pilots do and hand fly the departure and approaches (autopilot/autoland is almost never used for real world operations unless forced by necessity by environmental conditions).

At first sight, I don't see anything wrong, but I will test is on my system and see if I can reproduce it.

Maybe flying will give me some idea. There are some things that we do with thinking about it after some time.

Okay, so on repeating patterns I am supposed to control flaps and gear?  Is that what I am doing wrong is expecting the first officer to do it?  Is the PF supposed to handle this in circuit/touch-and-go operations?  I just want to be sure I am doing this correctly.

Okay ... on this one I fixed the mic.  You can hear my voice now.  Maybe this will make it more clear ... https://www.twitch.tv/faelandaea/v/79403284  Start at 25 minutes in and the issue was recreated yet again.  

On a GOOD note I took to heart your advice on derates ... it did help me maintain speeds and control of the pattern a LOT better.  However at 25 minutes is where the issues start ... second pattern ... yet again she won't touch the gear and will not do anything past flaps 15.

I also just realized RAAS can;t be heard on the stream, so I'll check into that and see if it has any manual settings to be fed to Voicemeeter.

Okay, so on repeating patterns I am supposed to control flaps and gear?  Is that what I am doing wrong is expecting the first officer to do it?  Is the PF supposed to handle this in circuit/touch-and-go operations?  I just want to be sure I am doing this correctly.

No, I meant, I didn't see you doing anything wrong with Fs2crew. 
I did try also and was able to reproduce your issue without finding a solution in the sim.
I tried with all the possible combination with takeoff flaps 15 and 20 and landing flaps 25 and 30 without or without calling flaps 15 during the approach (I had a doubt this one could create an issue as the described procedure for the touch and go in fs2crew is to skip flaps 20) and got the same results each times for the second touch and go:  I couldn't get the gear down and neither flaps 20, 25 or 30.
Strangely, the call flaps  15 still works...

I also tested with and without preflight events and with/without departure brief and approach brief just in case.

There may be something wrong after the first touch and go in the code. The FO stops responding to the landing gear command and any flaps setting beyond flaps 15. 

Bryan, could you have a look at the code?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

YAY!!!!!  So I am NOT losing what's left of my decrepit mind!!!!   YES!

I am actually surprised then that no one else has reported this if it is an issue that can be reproduced.  I take it not many people practice circuits in their PMDG/FS2Crew aircraft?  ;)  As for me, I actually plan to dedicate around 1-2 hours per day for hand flying practice so I can start to improve as a simulator pilot.  I know it's odd to say, but it is actually harder to hand fly in FSX than it is to hand fly in real life O.o  At least that's the way it feels to me even when flying in-game Cessnas.

Sir Romain, thank you SO much for checking this out and verifying it's not just me doing something wrong.  I appreciate your time so much.

We're still talking about NGX Reboot, right?  :Tounge:

Off course, but the FO still doesn't want to put the flap lever between flaps 15 and 25 to get the flaps 20! That's a shame! 

Come on Bryan you can do better than that!  :Silly:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg