Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Will the GTX 1080 work with my current setup?

I currently have an EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ Edition, but I'm not sure if the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW will work with my PSU.

MY PSU PCI-e has 4 x 6+2-Pin, and on the 1080 it has 2 x 8pin.

I'm not sure how my current GTX 680 is connected, it's been awhile since I last checked.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

GTX 1080 and 1070 cards have one 8 pin power connector.  The GTX 1060 has one 6 pin connector.  Click here for a picture and click here and scroll down for the 10 series specs.

Each one of your PSU 6+2 cables equal 8 pins.

You should be fine.

Todd

I hope so, but when looking at pictures, I see that the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has 2 x 8pin connectors.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

MY PSU PCI-e has 4 x 6+2-Pin

Those 6+2=8... they'll work just fine.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

6+2 pin PCIe connector IS an eight pin. It's separated into two parts, a 6 pin and 2 pin connector. You just position the two adjacent to each other to form 8 pin and insert.

Non reference cards like the EVGA card you mention will usually have greater power requirements. Thus the two 8 pin, which you already have in terms of two 6+2 pin cables.

More importantly, wattage and amps on the 12 volt rail/rails is the factor to consider... the lads are correct re the 1080 having lower power requirements, but still check the wattage required and amps required, because this is a non-reference card you are talking about, with higher power demands.

GTX 1080 and 1070 cards have one 8 pin power connector.  The GTX 1060 has one 6 pin connector.  Click here for a picture and click here and scroll down for the 10 series specs.

Each one of your PSU 6+2 cables equal 8 pins.

You should be fine.

Todd

Some GTX 1080's has more than one 8-pin connector. So look around first and find one with single 8-pin connector. Some cards require more than one 8-pin connector to reach a better overclock, but take the Gigabyte GTX 1080 only requires a single 8-pin connector and it is still a beast.

I hope so, but when looking at pictures, I see that the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW has 2 x 8pin connectors.

You are correct.  

But you have four 8 pin connectors on your PSU so again pertaining to connectors you should be fine.  You did not say the wattage of your PSU so you will need to take that into consideration also.

Todd

My PSU is 750watts, hopefully that should be enough for overclocking

Some GTX 1080's has more than one 8-pin connector. So look around first and find one with single 8-pin connector. Some cards require more than one 8-pin connector to reach a better overclock, but take the Gigabyte GTX 1080 only requires a single 8-pin connector and it is still a beast.

My Zotac 1070 amp edition requires 2 x 8 pin connectors

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

My PSU is 750watts, hopefully that should be enough for overclocking

Amps on the 12 volt rail, or rails if it's a multi-rail?

I think 45?

My Zotac 1070 amp edition requires 2 x 8 pin connectors

My Gainward GTX 1070 got a single 8-pin connector.

I think 45?

No issue then. I reckon 32 amps required. Might be wrong.

Well since my card has 2x 8pin connectors, do I need to use both or only one?